Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

adydula

• Restricted
Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #340 on: 9 Aug 2009, 06:54 pm »
Jim...et al...

Sorry not just ten!! 15 on my list and a few more that could easily be there...and so many more that are great as well. Maybe the best "20" would be a better list!! (or easier to select).

Most of these are singular artists with some exceptions and this list will change for me as I am sure it will for others. I have so many other great demo cuts from Chis and others but have not to get or explore them. There are other selections that are 'explosive' and very compelling as well. For me these are very well done, maybe not as explosive in nature but make me smile a lot. But they are compelling to me in different ways.

Crisp, Clear, Imaging, The Artist and the Words...Dynamic Range etc.

You notice there are not ANY classical selections, not that there they dont exist, just because this area is not my cup of tea.

Jennifer Warnes "The Hunter"
Holly Cole " Best of"
Norah Jones "Come Away With Me"
James Newton Howard and Friends
Dave Grusin's "Discovered Again "
Linda Ronstadt with Nelson Riddle Orchestra..... "Round Midnight".....
Diana Krall - "Love Scenes  "
Nils Lofgren - 'Acoustic Live'
Blue Rodeo's Five Days in July.
Vienna Teng - Waking Hour
Alison Krauss + Union Station Live (many more of her cds as well).
Wynton Marsalis's "The Magic Hour".
Damien Rice Live at Fingerprints Warts and All
Patricia Barber Live A Fortnight in France
Lyle Lovette's "Joshua Judges Ruth

All the Best
Alex

aa
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2009, 02:12 am by adydula »

K Shep

« Reply #341 on: 11 Aug 2009, 01:24 am »
Alex,

I enjoy female vocalists and appears you do too.  One of my latest additions is 19 year old British singer/songwriter Adele.  Her album 19 is a mix of Blues/R&B/Soul.  And of course, it is a great recording.

Adele - 19
http://www.amazon.com/19-Adele/dp/B0018QOIXU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1249953359&sr=1-1

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #342 on: 11 Aug 2009, 01:50 am »
Kirk,

I got the David Gray selection today but have not had a chance to listen to it so I might have a male vocalist as a favorite demo!!  :D

Yes I do enjoy female voice...starting way back 'when' with Joni Mitchell.

But the few male vocalists on my list I have not known for very long...its just in this past 6 months or so from recommendations from posters in this thread.

The Damien Rice cd is what I would call 'exceptional'...the languge is a little strong but the recording and voice quality to me is really extremly well done.

So most of the female selections are based first on the overall quality of the cd and its just that I have mostly female artisits in my collection

Most of the male artists in my collection seem to be blowing horns or playing instruments and not singing. I do like several male artists but just do not have any of their material.

I will look in to 19 thanks for the tip!

All the best
Alex

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #343 on: 11 Aug 2009, 02:07 am »
As far as male vocal (and piano) as concerned, Jamie Cullum is very good. Reminds me of a young Harry Connick Jr.
As far as sound quality is concerned, the album "Twentysomething" is very good from what I recall. But it's been awhile since I've listened to it.
I'm sure you've heard the song, "These are the days". Great stuff.

Bob

K Shep

« Reply #344 on: 11 Aug 2009, 02:48 am »
Alex,
I can't think of a Male Vocalist that doesn't either play piano, guitar of brass.  I like Ben Harper - Fight For Your Mind, good recording, but I have listened to a few of his other albums and just have not been inspired to pull the trigger.  Jack Johson has been a favorite of mine for a long time he played the Greek Theater in Berkeley and seeing him live really added to his appeal for me.  Great energy.  I have 3 of his CD's Brushfire Fairytales, In Between Dreams and his latest Sleep Through the Static.  Each are recorded well but Sleep Through the Static sounds the best.  Give'em a listen.  What I do is click on "Listen to samples" under the cover art of an album on Amazon and hear if I like the music.  Most of the CD's will play 30 seconds of each song.  But I'm sure you knew that.
Kirk

K Shep

« Reply #345 on: 11 Aug 2009, 03:03 am »
Oh, I wanted to also comment on Joni Mitchell.  An old colleague of mine owned a Linn system, active speakers and a turn table and he invited me to his home for a listen.  I was impressed by the sound (this was 2+ years ago) of a couple of CD's he played.  He then asked if I was a fan of vinyl and I said sure, not knowing what he was asking at the time.  So he pullled out a Joni Mitchell album and shared that it was special.  I am not a fan of Joni Mitchell, but when he played the album, I got chills.  I would swear that Joni was in the room singing to me.  I could get in touch with my old pal and ask him what it was that he played that day, but I haven't.  That was my first real experience with Hi-Fi and I will never forget it.  I didn't run out the next day and buy a system...I ran out 2 years later and took my time to build one.

Kirk

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #346 on: 11 Aug 2009, 03:20 am »
Just listened to my earlier recommendation of the Jamie Cullum. Although it's chock full of great tunes, I'm not so sure I'd call it "outstanding demo quality".
So I'm officially retracting my earlier recommendation.  :oops:

Bob

TJC712

« Reply #347 on: 11 Aug 2009, 05:43 am »
A couple of female vocal tracks (older, more obscure) certainly worth a listen... Janice Ian-At Seventeen; Natalie Merchant-Carnival; Joan Armatrading-Love & Affection, Down to Zero; Brenda Russell-Piano in the Dark, Get Here (Joe Sample on keybds); Bonnie Rait-I Can't Make You Love Me; Shirley Horn-Return to Paradise; Rickie Lee Jones-Danny's All Star Joint; Sia-Breathe Me (Six Feet Under Fans?); k.d. Lang-A Kiss to Build a Dream On; Astrud Gilberto-all (not hard when backed by Joao Gilberto, AC Jobim & Stan Getz).

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #348 on: 11 Aug 2009, 05:46 pm »
Hey Bob,

Thanks for the tip....and the rest of you all for the recommendations!

Need to invsetigate Ben Harper as well.

Later
Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #349 on: 13 Aug 2009, 12:50 am »
K Shep!!

David Gray, White Ladder....in one word "WONDERFUL" absolutley a demo pick. It sucked me in and the recording is well done. I dont know this guy but when I listen to him I think I know him.

What a really nice set of songs at such an exceptional level of recording.

For male voice this is in the top ten for sure.

Cant thank you enough for this one...now is there anymore of his music out there at this level...

All the Best
Alex
 aa

BobM

« Reply #350 on: 13 Aug 2009, 12:39 pm »
Picked up Jennifer Warnes "The Hunter" and would easily recommend this to anyone. She's got elements of both Joni Mitchell and Eva Cassidy, but not a clone of either, if you know what I mean. Apparently vinyl versions of this record are rare and expensive.

Also picked up Basie's One O'clock Jump and, although it sounds good on headphones and has some amazing big band playing on it, it does not hold up to audiiophile quality standards on the main rig. It's an old live recording with substandard recording quality and no "space" to speak of. But the music is fabulous.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #351 on: 13 Aug 2009, 05:39 pm »
Glad you like it Bob, its really very, very good...sounds a little like Amanda McBroom from the old GRP label days.

Alex

K Shep

« Reply #352 on: 13 Aug 2009, 10:58 pm »
K Shep!!

David Gray, White Ladder....in one word "WONDERFUL" absolutley a demo pick. Cant thank you enough for this one...now is there anymore of his music out there at this level...

Alex
 aa

I'm glad you're enjoying the CD.  White Ladder is the only album I have of his.  Perhaps others my chime in. 

Alex,

Did you ever check out the Seal CD I recommended?  I looked on Amazon and they want $69 used for the darn thing.  I went back and reviewed my order and I paid $34 for it.  The CD contains 3 discs one original recordings, the second acoustic versions of the originals and third a DVD with surround audio I think, I haven't played the DVD at all.  If you can see yourself paying $69 for Seal I would give it a ride...it is one of the best recordings I have.  Let me know.

Kirk

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #353 on: 13 Aug 2009, 11:11 pm »
K Shep...No have not done the Seal thing, the price is a bit steep for me here. I will wait for a better buy.  :D

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #354 on: 18 Aug 2009, 12:29 am »
Hello,

I just received and listened to:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000T2PRF2/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

This is a very well done best of Diana Krall..

This is the very best of Diana Krall, Limited Edition. delux edition.
If you only wanted one and the absolute best recording this is it.

Its a 10 out of 10.

Melt in your mouth...you have to have this recording in your collection...and be very careful listening it will seduce you into a world of classics that are timeless...

They just DONT write songs like this anymore!!!

All the best
Alex

K Shep

« Reply #355 on: 18 Aug 2009, 03:05 am »
Thank you for the suggestion: Damien Rice Live at Fingerprints Warts and All very well recorded.  This CD is exactly what I hope for, good music, great vocals and wonderful sound.  The 3 dimensional seperation on this CD is exceptional.  Keep them coming.

Kirk

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #356 on: 18 Aug 2009, 06:07 pm »
Kirk,

Yes its in my 'exceptional' category for sure...have to thank one of the earlier posters for this recommendation....

The Diana Krall best of I thought would be mediocre, but it has some live recording and a bonus dvd with PCM 2 ch audio that is a real treat...the song "Temptation" is to die for...

Alex
 aa

K Shep

« Reply #357 on: 18 Aug 2009, 07:26 pm »
So you play the DVD in your in a Bluray player?  Please explain your set up.

Kirk

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #358 on: 18 Aug 2009, 07:43 pm »
Kirk,

Yes the Oppo BD83 has a nice analog section and it plays stnd def dvds as is the bonus disc in the best of Krall..but the audio is 2 ch pcm.

I just have the Oppo BD83 to a Onkyo 805 receiver to the ST's. Simple. No exotic Dacs, Flac, NAS etc...

But am always thinking of upgrading the receiver to a seperate amp etc...but it sounds so good now!!

Dont want to deviate from the threads intent but there ya go...

Alex

K Shep

« Reply #359 on: 18 Aug 2009, 08:44 pm »
I am not going to split hairs Alex, but your thread is Outstanding  Demo CD's etc...and you mentioned a bonus DVD with PCM 2 ch audio.  I am not familiar with that format and I am curious how you played the DVD in your system.  I had forgotten that you own the OPPO and use it as your player.  Easy Tiger.  I am on your side, I even said so in my PM to you.

So lets get this thread back on track...I have grown to enjoy Leonard Cohen, this CD is the best recorded I have come across, very good stuff.

Leonard Cohen - Ten New Songs
http://www.amazon.com/Ten-New-Songs-Leonard-Cohen/dp/B00005Q45W/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1250627999&sr=1-10

Kirk