Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

TJC712

Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #320 on: 8 Aug 2009, 04:12 am »
So you've had good experience with SACD's, HYRBID-SACD's?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #321 on: 8 Aug 2009, 04:45 am »
If you had to live with just 10 CD's that would demonstrate the current state of recording art, which 10 CD's would they be?

In other words, if you feel so inclined, let's see what CD's are on your personal 10-best list.  List away...

1....Kenny G -"Live"   Samples...

2....Yoko Ono - "Fly"   Samples...

3....Vanilla Ice - "To the Extreme"   Samples...

4...Mariah Carey - "Glitter"  Samples...

5.... Jive Bunny - "Rock N Roll Dance Party"  Samples...

6....Pat Boone - "In a Metal Mood: No More Mr. Nice Guy"  Samples...

7....William Hung - "Inspiration"   Samples...

8....Tiny Tim - "God Bless Tiny Tim"   Samples...

9....The Archies - "Sugar Sugar: Greatest Hits"   Samples...

and last but not least.....what an album... :inlove:

10.....Mary Schneider - "Yodeling the Classics: The Complete Collection"   Samples...

Have fun....and enjoy.... :beer:

stlrman

« Reply #322 on: 8 Aug 2009, 05:47 am »
Fury,
Hope you liked the review of those reference cd's. More to come.. and including one here in this post to keep it legal.
I am new to this hobby, only about a year and half in, and I am damn close to being where I want to be as far as the sound of my system is concerned. 
I do not claim to have an amazing system . It does sound wonderful to me! All of my non- audiophile friends have been slack jawed, one woman today was almost in tears when listening to various SACD's . I have two friends who thought I was an ass####  when I told them what I spent on my sytem. (It only retails 7 grand , I paid about 1/2 of this through audiogon and factory direct etc. ) After less than 10 minutes the two friends nodded their heads and clearly understood my passion for audio, and why I "wasted" all of this money .  lol
I will give you a short review of my sytems attributes as I see them, and list all components. It is a pretty simple system.
Music sounds super detailed!! symbols , high hat ,triangles all have unbelievable clarity, sparkle and shimmer.
Drums hit hard, sound powerful , deep . just perfect. MUCH MUCH more of all this with "Quantum Destroyer" homemade subwoofer by a friend , in place.  (More on The Quantum Destroyer in components )
Midrange voice both male and female sound, lush, sweet, liquid
Highs of Sax, trumpet , all brass sound crystal clear and not etchy
The speakers and system are very musical ,while being ultra detailed, and powerful as hell with subwoofer. PRAT :  Pace , rhythm and timing all sound right on .
Honestly , I am still figuring out soundstage and imaging ,and plan to have a some people come in to listen. To me soundstage is wide and instuments well placed , I can sit in the listening seat all night, but I am sure they can be better dialed in.
Fury.. Here are my humble components

Speakers : SP Tech  Minis (read  about them in their circle if you like )  Works of art on the eyes ! Waveguide technology.  Truley the sound can be compared to the best studio monitors out there.  Crosses over super low at 600Hz , base down to 40 Hz.  Detailed !! Musical !! Astonishing !!
 Amplifier : Musical Fidelity A5 (250 watts ) solid state ,clean,pure,detailed and musical and freakin powerful !! (see 6 moons review )

Subwoofer: Quantum Destroyer ( Homemade , its freakin HUGE !! 39 inches high, 60 inches around, about 3/4 the size of a hot water heater  :duh: :drool: ) ,built by Chris  ( based on 12 inch Rythmic subwoofer , 370 watt amp. Servo Technology, It is sealed and downward firing ) I read about servo technology on their site,  and the designer of the homemade sub explained to me, that this technology, is what makes the woofer stop on a dime.  The sub has been measured    FLAT TO  14 Hz !!!!!!!!!   certain bass notes on Dead Can Dance cd vibrate the entire living room.  Low bass, does not make great bass, I know. This subwoofer is seemless in the system , crossed over at 60 Hz, it sounds very musical , and super fast !!      Need I say , powerful !!!!!!!!!  :thumb: :lol: aa      Listening to Blue Man Group dvd ,when the climax hits on the first song , its like a freakin Sonic Explosion has hit the entire apartment !! If your sitting next to your friend on the couch , you just look at each other and say, "what the F### !! " and laugh. I have not tried the sub for movies yet. lol....  I only added my first sub a few weeks ago ,and it has taken my system to a way way higher level of what I can listen to at high volumes, with impact that makes your head spin. It has made the speakers sound more open, detailed, and  just better. Sounstage vastly increased and got way deeper !! The speakers sound great alone !, but the system difference, is night and day.

Cd Player : Oppo 980h      Plays SACD's and cd's sound fantastic. Many great reviews on this player. I may try a dac at some point, to augment the sound, to see what happens.

Sony hd Radio xdr etc.   I can listen to the  hd radio all day if need be.
Interconnect : rat shack Monster THX  from amp to cd
Speaker wire :  Analysis Oval Nine
I'd be happy to send a picture if anyone send me a personal email here.

Reference cd : Micky Hart:   PLANET DRUM ( Former Drummer from The Grateful Dead )  (gold addition I think )  Want to hear how african drums mixed in with all sorts of chanting and drum instuments of all varieties of sounds?  Freakin Awesome that how !! :thumb: 
(African, Spiritual, Spacey, New Age, POWERFUL ) Every single track can be considered a demo trac !!  Will test  Bass Drums,  Drum Slam, Dynamics , woofers, subwoofers etc. This cd is VERY well recorded and the music OUTSTANDING !! , I would say the sound is pretty close to SACD . I listened to this entire cd ,over an hour I think, at 100 decibels peaking at about 105 ,with no strain of sound from the cd ,or my system. AWESOME !!!! (some ear strain  :nono: )
I highly recommend this cd !! With the right system, or right "cocktails" , this cd should and will be a total out of body experience.
Todd

charmerci

« Reply #323 on: 8 Aug 2009, 05:22 pm »
Geez I hope that William Hung recommendation was a joke because -even in less than the 30 second samples - that album was an insult to good sound. Completely unlistenable no matter how accurate the sound.

K Shep

« Reply #324 on: 8 Aug 2009, 06:43 pm »
Here's a disk I was turned onto last year. It's called "Miles_Gurtu"
Bob

I took your advice, listened to the intro on Amazon and purchased the album.  The CD arrived and I listened to most of it last night.  I can actually feel the music thru my system.  This is one of the best recordings I have heard.  The bass on this CD really shows me what my SongTower's are capable of.

Thank you BobM

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #325 on: 8 Aug 2009, 06:55 pm »
Geez I hope that William Hung recommendation was a joke because -even in less than the 30 second samples - that album was an insult to good sound. Completely unlistenable no matter how accurate the sound.

If you are calling that William Hung album a joke, then you must not like any on Chris's (Lonewolf's) list! 

:D

charmerci

« Reply #326 on: 8 Aug 2009, 07:58 pm »

If you are calling that William Hung album a joke, then you must not like any on Chris's (Lonewolf's) list! 

Yeah, well let's just say you won't find me spending an afternoon listening to all of them.  :shake:
(In fact, I'd like to meet the person that could do that - outside of Lonewolf - and I'd even be surprised if HE could do it! Well, without serious psychological repercussions!  :roll:)

Art_Chicago

« Reply #327 on: 8 Aug 2009, 08:41 pm »
+1, but this might be a pretty blunt way to put it, IMO.

Here's a disk I was turned onto last year. It's called "Miles_Gurtu"
Bob

I took your advice, listened to the intro on Amazon and purchased the album.  The CD arrived and I listened to most of it last night.  I can actually feel the music thru my system.  This is one of the best recordings I have heard.  The bass on this CD really shows me what my SongTower's are capable of.

Thank you BobM

Hey so did I  :thumb:. Listening right now, and it is awesome. I was not sure if gonna like the music, but it is great -- some pieces remind Robert Fripp's style, but in a more listenable way.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #328 on: 8 Aug 2009, 11:23 pm »

What.... you don't like my selections.... :o :nono:

Well....neither do I .....I was just having some fun. :jester:

But think....these were major releases....what were they thinking ??? :duh:

I'd love to take a few of them into an audio retailer....and give them a spin for an audition....wonder how fast they would be to shut it down..... :rotflmao:

I do have a better set of selections....but it is hard to pick ten when you have thousands... :?

charmerci

« Reply #329 on: 9 Aug 2009, 12:07 am »

:nono: :roll: Whew! My sanity has been restored! :thumb:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #330 on: 9 Aug 2009, 12:10 am »

In your opinion....which samples sounded the worst to you ? :scratch:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #331 on: 9 Aug 2009, 12:48 am »
Jim,

Nice to hear from you!

So you want a list of 10 cds that exemplify the best of todays recording technology and make your feet move!!  :D or whatever other body parts etc...

I have been off for a few days and the thread has grown once again with a few more recommendations..

Please remember this thread is about 2 ch cd's that you would use to really show off your speakers etc....not SACD or DVD-A or 5.1 stuff...even though I have and enjoy that..there are lots of threads on this type of source material already out there.

This not an equipment thread etc...its ok to share what your stuff is to some degree but there are other threads for this as well.

I dont want this great thread to stray from the original intent...that is to help identify the best of the best in 2 ch cd's.

With that said thanks to all the posts in the past few days..... lots of good stuff.

Jim, give me a few days to really think about this one and I will post my 10 best cd's....

The hard part in your request is the "The music and the performance should be compelling as well"...This will be open to interpretation...some will like the style (jazz, symphony, Blues etc) and others will not...but lets see what happens...

Back At Ya Later!
All the best
Alex
 aa

K Shep

« Reply #332 on: 9 Aug 2009, 12:55 am »
Kirk...

I ordered the David Gray, hope its well recorded!!  :D

Alex

All of my recommendations will be what I consider well recorded.  The CD's that I order that turn out to be poor recordings end up in the bottom of my stack.  Not to be shared. 

Female Vocal
Eva Cassidy - Songbird
http://www.amazon.com/Songbird-Eva-Cassidy/dp/B000006AKD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1249779209&sr=1-1

Its a classic, you may own it.

K Shep

« Reply #333 on: 9 Aug 2009, 01:17 am »
I will work on my 10 best list, which like Alex will include my favorite Genre's.  The difficulty I will have is recommending albums that "demonstrate the current state of recording art".  What I will be able to provide is a list that sounds great on my system.  My taste in music is growing now that I have what I consider a good system and this thread is helping with the selection process.  I like Jim have been disappionted with many of the CD's I have purchased. 

yooper

« Reply #334 on: 9 Aug 2009, 02:54 am »
Holy moly Chris :rotflmao:

I haven't been around the circle for awhile (months) and when I visited this thread and read your last list of recommendation I thought to myself.. "oh no, poor guy has seriously lost it...I wonder what happened?"  I was actually going to search your posting history looking for answers.

Ya got me! :oops:

Mark

charmerci

« Reply #335 on: 9 Aug 2009, 09:49 am »

In your opinion....which samples sounded the worst to you ? :scratch:

I hope Alex and others don't mind giving my opinion - I'm not trying to hijack this thread -but where else can we put this for now...

Well, I guess since the title heading is "Outstanding  Demo CD's etc...." doesn't distinguish between outstandingly bad CD's.... :D  Some things are so bad that they are funny but others are so bad that they're just  :roll: bad! I can easily say that the Hung CD is really unlistenable. Most of the rest have some level of competence though the Yoko CD (Do you actually own all these CD's???) is interesting because if she's being serious then it is a joke but if she's trying to be funny or not serious - then it's good because some of the songs are very funny. (I'm rather partial to Toilet Piece.)

Some of the Tiny Tim's songs (The Vibrato Monster escapes!!!) are a laugh riot - I'm tempted to buy some. I mean his Stairway to Heaven and cha-cha version of Hey Jude off of his Girl album are just too funny for words.

Well, I could write a whole treatise on the psychology of some of these singers but I'll stop here.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #336 on: 9 Aug 2009, 02:10 pm »
Hello,
Ok Guys...and Gals...

Way too much time on this sidetrack and this takes away from the original intent to identify those great 2 ch cds...its really been very obvious that from the beginning I have been looking for the best of the best including styles of music I do not like...I like trying new stuff and going from there. Read this as not outstandingly "bad"  cds... :nono:

If you really think that a Tiny Tim cd is very well recorded, has a very wide dynamic range, and has a compelling performance and represents the best in the industry fine. But the operative words are "YOU" "REALLY" "THINK".......Then post it. I would hope not....

If you want some fun  :lol: .... then someone that has the time should start a thread for outstandingly BAD cds...I mean this is a positive tone...it does have some merit on what to really avoid if you get my drift...so lets get back to the real gems...

Jim I am working on "my" list...I also thought how much harder this request is because there are several cds where not all the tracks do not live up to the overall standard...but we will work thru that as well...

This is why the demo discs that many of you have are so popular because they have a few tracks from several cds..there are very few cds that I have that really are totally 'outstanding' in all aspects. But thats the purist in me. So we will pick the best 10 cds we have or are aware of..hoping at least that they are head and shoulders above those ones we buy and then wonder why??? :wink:

K Shep... I have Eva Cassidy's "Time After Time" and " Imagine" but do not have the one you mentioned. I will look in to this as well. Thanks for the post!!

All The Best

Alex aa

Note: I do have a sense of  humor!  :wink:

Don_S

« Reply #337 on: 9 Aug 2009, 03:40 pm »
Alex,  Of all the Eva Cassidy CDs, my vote for the best recorded is Live at Blues Alley.   Favorite track:  "Stormy Monday"

TJC712

« Reply #338 on: 9 Aug 2009, 04:21 pm »
Don't know if anyone's mentioned already (if so, my props, this thread has grown to where it's too difficult going back and checking!), but was just listening to Ellington's Blues in Orbit... certainly woth the investment if one likes jazzy blues.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #339 on: 9 Aug 2009, 05:36 pm »
Hey Don...Thanks for the piece of information...I will listen to that!  :D

I am re-listening to a bunch of CDs that are listed in this thread...wow what a list...

I have 'my list' down to 16 or so and am trying to pick out my best 10.

Be back later!
Alex