Nelson Pass B-1 preamp kit

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Nelson Pass B-1 preamp kit
« Reply #720 on: 15 Jan 2017, 04:50 pm »
I don't need a volume control so will just put a resistor on each input as mentioned in an earlier post
Will any brand/type resistor work or is one type preferred for this use ?
thanks

I used Audio Note Non-Metallic Tantalums and Shinkoh Tantalums in my B1 (along with Naked Z-foil at the input and Riken Carbon at the output) for their supposed more organic and warmer sound.  You can find them at parts connexion.

KR500

« Reply #721 on: 9 Mar 2017, 01:51 pm »
FWIW , I ordered the larger DPDT switch from the BOM on page 1 and it is on-on only for 2 inputs , the smaller DPDT switch linked on page one is on-on with center off

cliffylfd

« Reply #722 on: 3 Apr 2018, 05:18 pm »
Hi,This thread seem to have gone quiet, but i wonder if  anyone from the UK  can help me source parts /
 I usually buy from RSwww.com , but they don't sell the Vishay  resistors in 1s or 2s and i am not sure what else to get.
 I will change the original 1k to the "naked 330r as recommended in the thread,(any other improved changes would be grateful.
  Also has people stop building the B1 and moved on?
 Thanks
CJ

navi

« Reply #723 on: 22 Jun 2018, 01:20 am »
Hi,This thread seem to have gone quiet, but i wonder if  anyone from the UK  can help me source parts /
 I usually buy from RSwww.com , but they don't sell the Vishay  resistors in 1s or 2s and i am not sure what else to get.
 I will change the original 1k to the "naked 330r as recommended in the thread,(any other improved changes would be grateful.
  Also has people stop building the B1 and moved on?
 Thanks
CJ

I just completed my B1 with Intact audio auto former volume control. I changed the R204 & R104 to Amtrans 39R resistor, Linear power supply off eBay that I set to 15V & a SBooster DC filter.

Sounds great. I think the bass is meatier than before with no grain the the highs.

turion64

« Reply #724 on: 6 Apr 2021, 12:52 pm »
Very late into this game it seems.

Now that the part # for C1&2 appears to be obsolete, any recommendations for a replacement cap?  Anything 15000uF; 25V or higher, similar diameter & ESR rating?

Thanks!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #725 on: 6 Apr 2021, 03:33 pm »
Very late into this game it seems.

Now that the part # for C1&2 appears to be obsolete, any recommendations for a replacement cap?  Anything 15000uF; 25V or higher, similar diameter & ESR rating?

Thanks!

I can't remember the caps that I used for C1 and C2.  But Nichicon KG series would be fine.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitors-ele-nichicon-kg-series.html

turion64

« Reply #726 on: 30 Apr 2021, 11:25 am »
Thanks for that.

Another question, the boards stand-off holes appear to be connected to the general ground. So, in mounting the board in a case I should use brass standoffs to connect the boards to the case earth grounding scheme or should the board be mounted with nylon standoffs to isolate it from such?