Best/worst preamps for 9v2se

jeffkad

Best/worst preamps for 9v2se
« on: 27 Feb 2009, 06:37 pm »
Thinking about adding 9v2se for my main spkrs.  Curious to get a sense of which preamps worked best, and didn't work, with your 9v2se.  Synergy is so important, so if you don't mind adding your speakers to mix, that would be great.  Word seems to be that tube pre's work very well, and also interested to know if ss would do ok, especially with brighter more lively speakers (mine are B&W N803's).  I would think their P9 was made to work well with their amp, no? Look forward to your experiences.  Thanks...Jeff

mcullinan

Re: Best/worst preamps for 9v2se
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2009, 06:46 pm »
Supratek Sauvignon pre. Works great! A good tubed pre is the way to go. Really adds a nice balance for the 9sev2s! My speakers are Merlin VSM MXs. Phenomenal amps btw.
GL
Mike

Kenobi

« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2009, 06:59 pm »
I have my Nuforce MCH3SE (multi-channel equivalent to 9V2SE) connected to Proceed AVP2 to good effect.  Speakers in the chain is a pair or Usher Be-718. 

What you don't need with the 9V2SE is a lean/edgy sounding pre lacking warmth.  I think any pre that's high resolution and transparent and neutral or slightly warmish should do fine.  Careful with cablings and vibration control as well with this pair.

Good luck,

Kenobi

giannettino

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2009, 08:02 pm »
Tried with valve ARC (SP9- LS 25), passive pre (various), Tact RCS 2.2......OK..
But, now, i'm very happy with my P9 :thumb:
Covered with dust sound better :oops: :oops: :roll: :roll:

jeffkad

« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2009, 08:53 pm »
Wow, P9 beat an ARC LS26 and a tact?  That's pretty amazing. What spkrs?

Keep those opinions and experiences coming.  I think this could be a worthwhile compilation thread for those considering a Nuforce amp.

sac8d4

« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2009, 01:48 am »
I have my eyes on a Monarchy audio NM24 (tube dac/solid state dac/tube preamp) and maybe the Peachtree Nova (used as a preamp/DAC) used in conjunction with my Nuforce MCH3SE

6rs

RWA Isabella
« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2009, 02:03 pm »
I am very happy with a RWA Isabella and its built-in DAC, using Siemens CCa tubes. Compared to stock JJ tubes, the sound opens up tremendeously: soundstage, bass, treble, and transparency is much better. Very transparent, engaging and holographic sound. No worries about power conditioning either.

giannettino

« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2009, 05:54 pm »
Wow, P9 beat an ARC LS26 and a tact? 

Yes..at least in my system
That's pretty amazing. What spkrs?

ProAc response 2.5, now a DIY system..you can follow the link for more photos..and dust :duh:

KrK

« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2009, 08:52 pm »
Link?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 2 Mar 2009, 11:13 pm »
We designed P-9 to disappear in the chain. It has the lowest THD in the world: 0.0004%
What it doesn't do is to shape the sound sometimes you need that for practical reason or personal preference.

We will soon start a facebook.com site for Nuforce customers so we can have more lively discussion and networking there  :lol:

1000a

« Reply #11 on: 3 Apr 2009, 09:27 pm »
I have my eyes on a Monarchy audio NM24 (tube dac/solid state dac/tube preamp) and maybe the Peachtree Nova (used as a preamp/DAC) used in conjunction with my Nuforce MCH3SE

I am curious I use a NM24 as a DAC (love it as a DAC) for my Squeeze Box (I have a integrated tube amp / but considering trying a NuForce power amp) did you get the NM24 and if so how did you like it as a pre amp w NuForce?

I have had fantastic results using my TVC with my integrated amp / but have been dying to get the NM24 as a preamp into the mix (per Lynn Olson's comments on the NM24 & a TVC as a stellar preamp) .

Anyone here tried a TVC with their NuForce power amp?  My plan was to try my NM24 & my TVC in an audition with their stereo amp.

thanks,

1000a

HungryEars

« Reply #12 on: 27 Apr 2009, 05:36 am »
I'm using the Monarchy NM24 as a pre and DAC with Nuforce-9v2 amps with great result. The stock NM24 is not bad as a preamp but after replacing the volume control with a GoldPoint attenuator, I no longer have a need to spend $3K for a separate pre. The improvement is that significant. The best part it costs less than a good power cable ($150 for the attenuator and $60 for installation). My speakers are Gallo 3.1, I also use a tube buffer between the NM24 and the amps for better impedance matching, and upgraded the NM24 and the buffer to better NOS tubes. Hope this help.

mmakshak

« Reply #13 on: 3 May 2009, 04:04 pm »
Oritek pre/dac.  A fantastic preamp!

danbern3

« Reply #14 on: 8 May 2009, 11:44 pm »
I have used the Adcom GFP-750 pre  for seven years with a variety of other equipment, so when I brought in  Nuforce 8.5v2's I hoped the system wouldn't be too bright. They fit together very nicely. I use psb goldi speakers and a sony es disc changer. When I first powered on I was startled by the sound. It was unlike anything I'd ever experienced . Plucks on acoustic guitar seemed to emanate from dead silence.
The only change I'm going to make are power cords - it's been recommended that the nuforce amps and Cardis Quadlink are a good match. I'm also going to try an Audience pc from my Adcom preamp.
I was extremely happy to read that the Cambridge 840C cd player is used successfully by many nuforce owners - it will replace my Sony 555es which I'm not thrilled with.
A preowned Adcom GFP 750 will run about $650.

Arnoldhasmail

« Reply #15 on: 24 May 2009, 03:45 pm »
I've used two different bat preamps with great luck.

Kenobi

« Reply #16 on: 27 May 2009, 03:59 pm »
As an update to my earlier post above, I have replaced the Proceed AVP2 with a P9 pre.  Initially, I missed the warmth of the Proceed and thought I had made a mistake.  Luckily, after about a month of constant burn in and a swap of a bright outlet to one that's warmer/musical/complimentary to my power conditioner, the music is back!  Plus, I now have cleaner, quieter, more splendid top end, an articulate, detailed midrange and fast, powerful, tight bass w/o smear or overhang.  All in all, a closer and more musical experience from this swap.

Kenobi

stingfan

« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2009, 01:31 am »
Has anyone compared/tried the Pass Labs XP-10 or XP-20 against the P-9? I've heard amazing things about these Pass Labs preamps, considering one for my 9V2SE's, as an upgrade from my P-8. 

giannettino

« Reply #18 on: 28 May 2009, 08:05 pm »
Has anyone compared/tried the Pass Labs XP-10 or XP-20 against the P-9? I've heard amazing things about these Pass Labs preamps, considering one for my 9V2SE's, as an upgrade from my P-8.

And upgrading from p8 to p8S? I think the jump can be very appreciated.
As usual..forgive my english
Gianni

stingfan

« Reply #19 on: 3 Jun 2009, 03:34 am »
No, Nuforce said there was no point to upgrading from P-8 to P-8s, that sonically there was little improvement.
And upgrading from p8 to p8S? I think the jump can be very appreciated.
As usual..forgive my english
Gianni