SR3-18 Antelope Zodiac Plus power supply US tour

roscoeiii

Re: SR3-18 Antelope Zodiac Plus power supply US tour
« Reply #20 on: 14 May 2011, 03:25 pm »
Hi Ted,

Many thanks for the great write-up. Probably a bit OT for this thread, but I'd love to hear a comparison of the LIO-8, the Zodiac+ and your Weiss DAC2 (if it is still around).

It may also be of interest to some folks on this thread that the non-plus Zodiac is now available. Sound Science has an ad listed on Audiogon. 24/96 via USB and lacking some other features that the + has, but the same DAC output stage. If you don't need the extra features, then this is a great looking deal at $1695 or so.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #21 on: 14 May 2011, 04:50 pm »
Very nice write up Ted.   :thumb:

Sounds like by the time it reaches David, I should have my upgraded amps (Atma-Sphere MA-1's) and new preamp (Atma-Sphere MP-1) in the system.  Hopefully David will be able to come over and we can give things a listen.

George

owenmd

« Reply #22 on: 15 May 2011, 04:48 pm »
Nice review and comparison Ted.... thanks  :thumb:

Audioclyde

« Reply #23 on: 15 May 2011, 05:45 pm »
Thanks for the insight Ted. Likely going to cross the Young off my possibles list; I have seen other comments that some find forward borderline bright. Since I'm a Tranquility SE fan, doesn't seem like the Young would fit my taste.

Now back to the topic of the thread--but wanted to say  thanks.

Randy

Bigfish

« Reply #24 on: 15 May 2011, 07:34 pm »
I have spent some time with the Paul Hynes SR3-18 Power Supply in my system this weekend.  I switched back and forth between the SR3-18 and the stock power supply for my Zodiac+.  The SR3-18 most apparent impact is to the midrange and in my system I noticed it immediately.  The Zodiac+ is very detailed but with the stock power supply the midrange is a little leaner than I would prefer.  The SR3-18 adds body and weight to the midrange and I much prefer it to the stock power supply.

Many thanks to Paul Hynes for allowing me to participate in the tour.  I would like to purchase this unit at the conclusion of the tour or will request Paul to build me a new one if someone else has spoken for it.

The unit will be shipped to David tomorrow.

Ken

bluemike

« Reply #25 on: 15 May 2011, 07:45 pm »
fwiw I have a Paul Hynes Phono Stage that I think is superb
Mr Hynes is a power supply genius _in my humble opinion

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #26 on: 15 May 2011, 07:50 pm »
I have spent some time with the Paul Hynes SR3-18 Power Supply in my system this weekend.  I switched back and forth between the SR3-18 and the stock power supply for my Zodiac+.  The SR3-18 most apparent impact is to the midrange and in my system I noticed it immediately.  The Zodiac+ is very detailed but with the stock power supply the midrange is a little leaner than I would prefer.  The SR3-18 adds body and weight to the midrange and I much prefer it to the stock power supply.

Many thanks to Paul Hynes for allowing me to participate in the tour.  I would like to purchase this unit at the conclusion of the tour or will request Paul to build me a new one if someone else has spoken for it.

The unit will be shipped to David tomorrow.

Ken

Ken,
I asked Paul to sell it to me earlier (i.e after the tour), but Paul prefers to make a new one.  He wants the tour one to remain intact I guess.  It's great, though, huh.  :)

rydenfan

« Reply #27 on: 16 May 2011, 12:59 pm »
Very nice write up Ted.   :thumb:

Sounds like by the time it reaches David, I should have my upgraded amps (Atma-Sphere MA-1's) and new preamp (Atma-Sphere MP-1) in the system.  Hopefully David will be able to come over and we can give things a listen.

George

I think we can figure something out  :wink:

I can bring over the Zodiac +, Voltikus, and Hynes and we can do some listening...

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #28 on: 12 Jun 2011, 11:57 pm »
Rydenfan (David) sent the Hynes back to me.  Although David is on a trip I asked that he post his feedback when he returns.  As you know from the posts above, he was comparing it to his Antelope Voltikus.

OK, so I have the tour unit here (midwest) and would be open to send it to another tour member, if needed (unless Paul, you need it back asap??).  My own purchased replacement is due here in a week or so.   Let me know via this thread or a PM.  In the meantime it will be making wonderful music as the power supply for my Alix Voyage MPD Linux server box.