Evolution amplifier developed a very loud hum.

Puk

Re: Evolution amplifier developed a very loud hum.
« Reply #20 on: 11 Apr 2022, 07:43 pm »
I tied the nuts of both the amplifiers but sadly without any result. Swapping the top covers also had no result. But the loudspeaker-hum dissapeared completely the moment I lifted the backside of the (loose) top cover by just one or two millimeters; back flat on top the loudspeakers started humming again.

rustydoglim

« Reply #21 on: 12 Apr 2022, 08:23 pm »
You might have a ground loop somewhere in your system, lifting the cover somehow cut off the ground loop.
Can you try to use a cheater plug to cut off the AC ground just to see if that makes any difference.

Puk

« Reply #22 on: 14 Apr 2022, 01:00 pm »
I connected them yesterday both with an AC-plug without ground but the hum on my speakers stayed the same, so that didn't make a difference.

screener

« Reply #23 on: 14 Apr 2022, 03:52 pm »
Have you tried using a longer extension cord? Try plugging them into another outlet.

What are your amps sitting on?

Puk

« Reply #24 on: 10 May 2022, 08:56 am »
@screener, thanks for your reply and sorry for my late reaction. I tried all sorts of things but wanted to do that again to have a clear start to find what is causing it but haven't had the time yet.
But a while ago I tried different cord, different outlet, different pre-amp with only one (different from regular set) inputsource, different speakers (passive) and different XLR and RCA cords; the hum stayed. The NuPrime's are normally hooked up to a pair of Martin Logan ESL11A, when I hook those Impressions up to my Advance Acoustic X-A220 mono's there is no hum on the speakers.