Hello, new here, looking for amplifier advice.

InfiniD

Hello, new here, looking for amplifier advice.
« on: 23 Feb 2024, 06:36 pm »

[/img]

A good friend of mine, who I now blame for costing me thousands of dollars, got me turned onto the hobby, and told me about this forum yesterday.  He has some pretty nice gear including Dodd Audio preamp, Odyssey amps, and GR Research NX Otica's.  Mine is not quite at that level....yet.

So ultimately I'm looking for advice for a new amplifier and I'm currently considering the Galion TS A75 and the Odyssey Khartago (open to stereo or mono's).  Would need to stay $2K and less.

Current Setup

Sources:  Technics SL1500C > Pro-ject Phono Box S3B & Wiim Pro > Denafrips Ares 12th-1 (arriving today, previously Geshelli J2 AKM)

Preamp: Schiit Freya+  (stock tubes)

Amp: Schiit Vidar

Speakers: Wharfedale Lintons  (have my eye on some Clayton Shaw Caladans down the road)

Would love any insights on what would make the most sense for me, or if there's other products I should consider, thanks!

richidoo

Re: Hello, new here, looking for amplifier advice.
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2024, 07:08 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, InfiniD!

Freya+ is balanced preamp, so you can take advantage of balanced power amp.
After you hear your new Ares you will understand why I recommend Denafrips Hyperion amp for your Lintons.

Your system is good enough to benefit from excellent cables, like JPS Ultraconductor2.

Rich

InfiniD

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2024, 07:22 pm »
Thanks, I actually forgot to mention balanced, which I'm using everywhere I can except out to the Vidar.  And taking another look it doesn't look like the Odyssey has that, so that narrows it down.  I'll have to look into the Hyperion some more, I'm mildly aware of it.

For cables I'm using currently using these:
https://www.amazon.com/SKW-Audiophile-Speaker-Convertible-Connector/dp/B07KF2S637/ref=asc_df_B07KF2S637/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=385267912548&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9151317640660021541&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9018738&hvtargid=pla-866250039357&mcid=97d30a1fc69c34579a81619e18a7be98&ref=&adgrpid=76690811697&gclid=Cj0KCQiAoeGuBhCBARIsAGfKY7zM1pwCN7Sh3Of-8xf8utLfL79pddMaUnnnQ1SL_6BsWevc23nf6o8aAlSyEALw_wcB&th=1

Stercom

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2024, 07:52 pm »
Welcome aboard!

First a question: why do you want to replace the Schiit Vidar? I would actually wait until you get the Denafrips before replacing the amp. You may find the Vidar is better than you think. Or you may want to simply add another Vidar and go with monoblocks!

If you still want to replace the Vidar then I would follow in your friend's footsteps and buy an Odyssey amp. Klaus obviously realizes the purpose of any power amp is to deliver CURRENT.  Even the Stratos at $1,400 delivers 45 amps of current which is very impressive for any amp especially in that price range. 

Stercom

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2024, 08:24 pm »
InfiniD - Klaus offers XLR inputs on the Stratos. Here is a pic:

JMW73

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2024, 09:06 pm »
They're XLR, but not "balanced".  In any case, there isn't really a benefit to balanced in the short runs that we generally use anyway.

To the orginal point, I'd keep your amp and upgrade elsewhere.

InfiniD

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2024, 11:55 pm »
Thanks for the info!  I’m using balanced everywhere else I can and that’s one of the reasons to upgrade from the Vidar.  At this point the Vidar 2 is out so for a new one they’d be mismatched running monos and I don’t want to buy used for this system.  The Galion is a dual mono, balanced, so I’m really leaning that way so far.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2024, 06:41 pm »
Have a look at the Parasound A21or it's smaller brother whose model escapes me now, thinking A25.

Really your gear has to be differentially balanced in circuitry in order to take advantage of XLR ins/outs.  Anything else is just giving you an XLR tap of the single ended circuit.  I personally stick with what the gear is designed for.  If it's single ended often times performance can actually be better using RCA.  It really depends on how much effort goes into designing the XLR tap of the single ended device, sometimes there's no sonic difference.  However, if you use differentially balanced gear XLR is the way, IMO.