My new Kentos...so to speak...

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
My new Kentos...so to speak...
« on: 22 Jun 2023, 12:23 am »
Will be going Friday the 23rd to Stereo Unlimited in San Diego to hear their Kentos.  Will be bringing a pair of Moon/Simaudio 400M (XLR inputs) poweramps, well broken-in; maybe my Oppo '205' that I use to direct-drive all my (all-XLR) poweramps; maybe my two lengths (3M and 5M) of AQ Dragon ICs; and cash for a deposit.

EMBARRASING ADMISSION--I forgot that I had started this Circle in May, 2011.  Twelve years later, I'm back.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2023, 07:14 am by jeffreybehr »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: My new Kentos...so to speak...
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2023, 12:30 am »
A wandering behr returns!  :lol: Welcome back!

Do tell us your impressions, okay?

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2023, 07:48 am »
TY; it's nice to be back.  I've owned many speakers since the 5As and currently am using and loving PS Audio FR20s.  I expect the Kentos to sound better.  The Moon 400Ms are early models and are new to me, but they sure do sound good.
« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2023, 12:04 am by jeffreybehr »

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2023, 07:02 am »
Took my poweramps and Oppo '205; everything else was theirs.  The Kentos sounded excellent if a bit nasal compared with my home system.  I bought/ordered a pair in rosewood with the Teflon-cap inline filters and then cancelled that order Sunday; I'll be concentrating on my PSA FR20s and HHR Exotic Walsh-type speakers.  Did order thru US Audiomart a used V'steen CC-5 which I'll drive with one of my Moon/Simaudio 400M and from Stereo Unlimited a pair of Aesthetix Atlas Eclipse monoamps.  These are the ones with variable-frequency input filters which make them perfect for V'steen floor-standers.

Am continuing to look for 5A Carbons.
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2023, 10:56 pm by jeffreybehr »

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2023, 12:25 am »
More on the Kentos heard at Stereo Unlimited.

My GEA buddy and I agreed that the Kentos were the most resolving of any speakers either of us has ever heard, and the bass was excellent in its definition and extention.  However, the overall tonal balance was so different and nasal compared with any of our systems (and Pat has 3 or 4 in two homes) that I cancelled that order. 

I've found what appears to be the only pair of used 5A Carbons for sale in the country at Audio Connections in NJ and have commited to buying them.  I'll be flying to Newark next week to retrieve a van and the speakers and drive them home.  Shouldn't take more than 3 days.   :?

The incoming Aesthetix Atlas Eclipse monoamps, with their adjustable hi-pass input filters, should be a natural for the 5ACs.  And after a few years of not using any amp that uses 6SN7s tubes, I'll finally have a home for two of my many Tung-Sol roundplates!

« Last Edit: 3 Jul 2023, 03:34 am by jeffreybehr »

JackD

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2023, 12:48 am »
Jeffrey

If you were prepared to pay retail for a pair of Kento's would you consider these.  Ken is a completely reliable seller that is moving and downsizing.  Also selling a pair of Vandersteen mono's.

https://www.audioshark.org/speakers-157/sale-vandersteen-model-7-mk-ii-sp-21958.html#post361409.  Based on where he lives now they likely came from John R.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2023, 07:00 pm »
....................................... ......................

JackD

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2023, 08:23 pm »
Saw where you reached out on the Model 7's.  Hope you guys can work something out.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2023, 11:39 pm »
Saw where you reached out on the Model 7's.  Hope you guys can work something out.

I bought them AND the matching V'steen poweramps.  Will send money tomorrow.  He'll be asking his dealer, John Rutan's Audio Connection, to pack and ship them to me.

YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: 1 Jul 2023, 08:34 am by jeffreybehr »

JackD

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jun 2023, 11:49 pm »
That's great congratulations.  I'm sure Ken is glad to get those items off his list.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 1 Jul 2023, 09:01 am »
Progress--

1. Have paid for the Seven.2s and M7s.

2. Haven't found a van around Newark but have been offered a Honda van by a friend, and I may drive both ways.

3. Ken is arranging for some help (from Audio Connection's staff) for packing the very heavy amps and getting them and the blanket-wrapped speakers into the van.

4. I've arranged for some company and driving help, so whether it turns into 3 or 6 days of driving, it'll be safer.

5. The Aesthetix Atlas Eclipse mono amps should be here in 2 or 3 weeks, and I'll try them and their hi-pass filters on the HHR Exotics TLS-2s, my Walsh-type-driver systems that overloaded my musicroom with too much bass.  And yes indeed, there is such a thing.

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jul 2023, 03:03 pm »

5. The Aesthetix Atlas Eclipse mono amps should be here in 2 or 3 weeks, and I'll try them and their hi-pass filters on the HHR Exotics TLS-2s, my Walsh-type-driver systems that overloaded my musicroom with too much bass.  And yes indeed, there is such a thing.

I have heard a friends HHR Exotics TLS-1 speakers in a large room and he doesn't use subs either but those speakers are real power hungry. Eric and I traded amps for a week, I got his PS Audio M1200 mono amps and he tried my Van Alstine Vision 450 amp. The AVA amp at 225 watts per channel sounded too full and bass heavy driving the HHR speakers. I thought the M1200's sounded a little too fast and cool driving my Salk HT2-TL speakers. The M1200's with HHR speakers work very well together, gobs of power along with tight control of those inverted cones.