Maintenance on Vandersteen speakers ?

garypic

Maintenance on Vandersteen speakers ?
« on: 2 Feb 2021, 02:04 am »
I'm doing research on Vandersteen used speakers and came across someone selling their 5a. Someone asked if the batteries have ever been changed? Forgive me if this a dumb question,but .... Are there batteries to be changed? Is there other maintenance parts that need maintaining? I know that the surrounds in some speakers wear out after time.....Do higher end speakers need routine maintenance? And if so, can it be done local or do they have to be shipped back to the manufacturer? I know upgrades to be sent back, i'm just trying to understand if buying any used speaker with a little age is going to have additional expense?
 Gary

ServerAdmin

Re: Maintenance on Vandersteen speakers ?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2021, 02:44 am »
Hi, I've moved this to the Vandersteen owner's circle for you, hopefully someone will have info for you.

JackD

« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2021, 02:54 am »
The batteries are in the High Pass crossovers not the speakers themselves.  As with most batteries they have a shelf life and need replacing at some point. The 5A's haven't been in production long enough to have drivers that need surrounds replaced.

bstanwick

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2021, 01:47 pm »
I bought a used pair of Vandersteen M5-HPB High Pass Filters that roll off bass before the amplifier input for use with the Vandersteen subwoofer.  The 9 volt battery is soldered in, so I had to send them Vandersteen to get the batteries changed.  I got the Eveready Lithium 9 volt batteries, which they said should last 10 to 11 years.  Alkalines will need changing sooner (I don't remember how long).  Cost in 2015 was $96.00.

garypic

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2021, 09:47 pm »
Thanks Bstanwick, that makes perfect sense now.