Almost had a heart attack today

floresjc

Almost had a heart attack today
« on: 10 Jun 2010, 04:55 pm »
My dog (85lb lab) jumped up with his front paws on top of my SongTower to get at some ballons (uninflated) my wife had set up there. Took quite a tumble. Fortunately, the damage is really minor, and has just one little dimple where it connected with the corner of my SongCenter. Within the intricate and very busy bubinga pattern, you can't even see it unless you are up close looking for it. Structural integrity looks good, its about a pea sized dimple, maybe 1/32 of an inch in, no cracking and still feels smooth. Sounds great still. Boy what a terrifying moment.

srb

Re: Almost had a heart attack today
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2010, 05:12 pm »
Wow!  You got lucky!

Big dogs usually have some consequences that come with their size.  I knew someone who had a large, very hyper Irish Setter, who when excited, could clear the entire contents of a busy coffee table with one or two swipes of his tail!

Did you happen to see the speaker destruction scene in Turner and Hooch with Tom Hanks (Turner) and Beasley the Dog (Hooch)?

Steve

R Swerdlow

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2010, 05:13 pm »
And the dog???

… Glad to hear the damage was minor

floresjc

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2010, 05:19 pm »
Oh the dogs fine. It was more like he was starting the chain of dominoes, just kind of feet up there, my wife starts going crazy and I turn around to see the SongTower hit. While I would prefer flawless speakers, the reality is with dogs and kids and stuff, they will probably weather at least a little abuse. I guess it will give them character.

Drives me nuts to no end thinking about it, but when I'm listening to music or watching a movie, I don't pay attention one iota to what they look like. It'll pass.

Paul K.

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2010, 05:47 pm »
Our current cat likes to stick his nose on or paw at the drivers in my speakers IF he can see them, so that's why I keep their grille boards on unless listening seriously to music.  None of our previous cats cared a diddly about them.
Paul

Oh the dogs fine. It was more like he was starting the chain of dominoes, just kind of feet up there, my wife starts going crazy and I turn around to see the SongTower hit. While I would prefer flawless speakers, the reality is with dogs and kids and stuff, they will probably weather at least a little abuse. I guess it will give them character.

Drives me nuts to no end thinking about it, but when I'm listening to music or watching a movie, I don't pay attention one iota to what they look like. It'll pass.

Nick77

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2010, 05:52 pm »
Glad to hear damage was minimal, i can still see my monitor tumbling aross the floor after the cat launched himself off the top.  :duh:

Rocket

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2010, 11:04 pm »
Hi,

That mark would really annoy me  :duh:.  I remember when I received my salk sound ht2's that were shipped from the US to Australia by sea container.  They arrived in perfect condition.  When I was assembling the bases the thread that bolts the base to the speaker was a bit tight.  Anyway I kept screwing the allen key bolt and it caused a bubble on the base.

I keep looking at that damn fault all the time  :roll:.

Regards

Rod

floresjc

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2010, 11:22 pm »
Rocket -

The swirl on my bubinga is intense and multi shaded, and it makes the knick *really* hard to see unless you are doing a close inspection. The depression is not really visible, you can only feel the dimple by running your finger over it.

Quite honestly the thing that bugs me most about my Salk speakers is how shiny they are. I can see light reflecting off my drivers, *through* the grille and I always thinks its a dust spot on the grille or something. The corners of the plinths make nice points of light as well, and I always think the dog knicked the corner or my wife or something. Always turns out to be just shiny. I have 7 Salk speakers, 3 of them have knicks, the black corner of my SongCenter, a tiny one on the front of a rear SongTower, and the one on the side of the SongTower today.

Edit: It doesn't bug me that its shiny per se, but that I perceive the shiny as some sort of unbeknownst damage. I have little heart rushes at least a few times a week.

mchuckp

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2010, 02:33 am »
I hear you.  I have a 75lb dog who likes to play in front of my set up.  When she gets the rope toy going I get VERY stressed and trade toys with her.  She likes to sniff the tubes in my Ultravalve amp as well.  This makes me a tad nervous but not nearly as much as long firm rope swinging like crazy a foot from my drivers.

Hopefully I won't join your club.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jun 2010, 06:23 am »
Did you happen to see the speaker destruction scene in Turner and Hooch with Tom Hanks (Turner) and Beasley the Dog (Hooch)?

Steve

I had to check that out....forgot about that movie.... :duh:
..........boy, does he do a number on those speakers...(at 2:40)...and everything else... :o :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIYB7Bj2npk

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jun 2010, 01:47 pm »
I had that "heart attack" a while back when my youngest son knocked over my three Song Towers that are the L/C/R channels in my HT.

It all seemed to happen in slow motion...he knocked over the left channel, which crashed into the center channel, which crashed into the right channel.   :bawl:

Jim was more than willing to work with me on fixing the damage on all three speakers.  But, I decided it wasn't worth it to me since I don't plan on selling the speakers and they are behind an acoustically transparent screen out of sight.

George

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jun 2010, 01:53 pm »
Zybar-I bet your theater room sounds sweet!!!! :drool:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #12 on: 11 Jun 2010, 02:22 pm »
Zybar-I bet your theater room sounds sweet!!!! :drool:

It does indeed.

Looks even better now that I have a new pj (Epson 8500UB).   :thumb:

George

djbnh

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jun 2010, 08:44 am »
My dog (85lb lab) jumped up with his front paws on top of my SongTower to get at some ballons (uninflated) my wife had set up there. Took quite a tumble. Fortunately, the damage is really minor, and has just one little dimple where it connected with the corner of my SongCenter. Within the intricate and very busy bubinga pattern, you can't even see it unless you are up close looking for it. Structural integrity looks good, its about a pea sized dimple, maybe 1/32 of an inch in, no cracking and still feels smooth. Sounds great still. Boy what a terrifying moment.
Until a couple years ago I had a dog + cat; a dedicated no-pet listening room was ever valuable - I felt that claws, paws, slobber, and scamper might not be ideal audio companions (Sung to H. Chapin's Cat's in the Cradle - "the cat's in the cables and the wires are chewed, the dog jumped up and the turntable's screwed". The thought process for me in protecting all my gear this way was akin to this day still having no fluids near the computers, etc. Sorry to hear about the damage, and glad it wasn't worse.