Super 7 Flat Packs.....

RoadTripper

Re: Super 7 Flat Packs.....
« Reply #160 on: 18 Mar 2019, 03:39 pm »
Are you painting these at the request of a customer? If so, what's the fee?

Captainhemo

« Reply #161 on: 18 Mar 2019, 03:53 pm »
Are you painting these at the request of a customer? If so, what's the fee?

No, these are staying here, at least  for now .
We have a couple local painters we use, this guy specializes in the House of Kolor paints.
Costs  can vary considerably depending on what the  customer  is looking for
jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #162 on: 18 Mar 2019, 04:23 pm »
Thanks Jeff. The sun is poking through  the window this am and  man, it's crazy   what the HOK paint does in the sunlight.
In many cases, we paint after  asembly but  with these and the  Kandy color,  we had to go this route to keep the  color  consistant.
With the lower  rear  subs section of the  S7's being  a  separate sub assembly,  it makes it pretty easy to do,  hopefully  I still say that  after final glue up !

jay

Jay,

You hit on my question. How are you going to assemble these seeing as glue doesn't stick to finished surfaces?

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #163 on: 18 Mar 2019, 04:33 pm »
There are  a  lot of different adhesives out there, won't be an issue.

I know one guy who glued the tops/bases on his triple h-frames after painting, I believe he used  a clear silicone calk and he says they are   never coming off.
 Right now  I'm  planning on letting this paint cure for a bit then  I'll clean out the dowel holes with a   drill bit so the  dowels are all   wood to wood joints, will use   yellow pva on  them.   Likely the clear  silicone or Melamane  on  the  painted  surfaces.

jay
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2019, 06:07 pm by Captainhemo »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #164 on: 18 Mar 2019, 06:33 pm »
There are  a  lot of different adhesives out there, won't be an issue.

I know one guy who glued the tops/bases on his triple h-frames after painting, I believe he used  a clear silicone calk and he says they are   never coming off.
 Right now  I'm  planning on letting this paint cure for a bit then  I'll clean out the dowel holes with a   drill bit so the  dowels are all   wood to wood joints, will use   yellow pva on  them.   Likely the clear  silicone or Melamane  on  the  painted  surfaces.

jay

Let us know how well this works. I've been wondering how I am going to solidly fix the base and sides to the monitor baffle since I plan on painting the baffle but using solid wood for the sides and base. If there is an adhesive that will solidly bond a painted surface to wood I might only use wood for the sides and keep the base MDF.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #165 on: 18 Mar 2019, 06:47 pm »
I don't think finding  an adhsive  to adhere to the paint will be  an issue, both the  above mentioned will .  The question  will be,  how well  is your paint adhering to the   wood.  If you don't have  decent adhesion, the glue may pull the paint  right off.
The dowels are  going to help  out as well.

jay

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #166 on: 18 Mar 2019, 07:04 pm »
Jay, those look amazing! :thumb:  I'm partial to orange colors anyway. 

Meanwhile, I'm over here looking at my Super 7 Monitors with either black, white, or a combo of both with Duratex.   One way or another I will make it work.

lacro

« Reply #167 on: 18 Mar 2019, 09:42 pm »
I don't think finding  an adhsive  to adhere to the paint will be  an issue, both the  above mentioned will .  The question  will be,  how well  is your paint adhering to the   wood.  If you don't have  decent adhesion, the glue may pull the paint  right off.
The dowels are  going to help  out as well.

jay

Jay,
Your right the bond strength is dependent on the paints adhesion. With the dowels aligning and holding the panels snug, why not use industrial strength double sided tape for the main adhesive instead of messing with any liquid adhesive that may react with the paint. Also, you won't have any clean-up.

I attached a skeg (long fin) to a wood strip racing kayak. It hung down 4" below the boat. It was on there for 3 years going over floating logs, and dragging through seaweed. It was a real bear to finally remove. Probably as strong or stronger than any glue. Removing it didn't damage the underlying varnished surface. The smoother the surface the better for the strongest adhesion, but I have had great experience even on bare wood.

3M has several DS tapes to choose from including one recommended for wood working.

https://www.uline.com/BL_6025/3M-Double-Sided-Polyester-Film-Tape

Captainhemo

« Reply #168 on: 18 Mar 2019, 10:25 pm »
Jay,
Your right the bond strength is dependent on the paints adhesion. With the dowels aligning and holding the panels snug, why not use industrial strength double sided tape for the main adhesive instead of messing with any liquid adhesive that may react with the paint. Also, you won't have any clean-up.

I attached a skeg (long fin) to a wood strip racing kayak. It hung down 4" below the boat. It was on there for 3 years going over floating logs, and dragging through seaweed. It was a real bear to finally remove. Probably as strong or stronger than any glue. Removing it didn't damage the underlying varnished surface. The smoother the surface the better for the strongest adhesion, but I have had great experience even on bare wood.

3M has several DS tapes to choose from including one recommended for wood working.

https://www.uline.com/BL_6025/3M-Double-Sided-Polyester-Film-Tape

Hey Larry
That's a pretty good  idea,  I will look into it.  Would have to be very thin to keep from   spreading   panels apart but I'll  check out  what's  available.
Just  like the no rez, when you  stick it to  high gloss finish it  is basically not coming off without a fight and that's without  even  applying any presure to it.
Love the no mess  part, glues and paint  scare me  in this regard

jay

lacro

« Reply #169 on: 19 Mar 2019, 06:06 pm »
Hey Larry
That's a pretty good  idea,  I will look into it.  Would have to be very thin to keep from   spreading   panels apart but I'll  check out  what's  available.
Just  like the no rez, when you  stick it to  high gloss finish it  is basically not coming off without a fight and that's without  even  applying any presure to it.
Love the no mess  part, glues and paint  scare me  in this regard

jay

Jay,
Exactly like no-Rez, the pressure sensitive adhesives on these tapes are super strong. The one 3M lists for wood working is pretty thin at 4.8 mil. In comparison a human hair is 0.003"

SteveKi

« Reply #170 on: 21 Mar 2019, 01:42 am »
I now have 100+ hours on my Super 7 uppers. They live up to their reputation. Fantastic imaging, amazing detail with world class bass.

It's like hearing your music collection with new ears. I was originally going to switch back and forth with my old speakers to eventually
decide which I liked better. I could tell after a few hours of burn in, that would not be necessary. The Super 7's do everything better.

My retirement system is shaping up. I just ordered the full size Super 7 kit from Danny. I'll spend some $$ on the finishing.
I'll worry about how to move them when the issue comes up.

You know those rooms at Audio shows where some amp is playing on $25K speakers that you love.
Well I finally have that sound at my house... thank you Danny.
Regards,
Steve

Danny Richie

« Reply #171 on: 21 Mar 2019, 03:53 pm »
I now have 100+ hours on my Super 7 uppers. They live up to their reputation. Fantastic imaging, amazing detail with world class bass.

It's like hearing your music collection with new ears. I was originally going to switch back and forth with my old speakers to eventually
decide which I liked better. I could tell after a few hours of burn in, that would not be necessary. The Super 7's do everything better.

My retirement system is shaping up. I just ordered the full size Super 7 kit from Danny. I'll spend some $$ on the finishing.
I'll worry about how to move them when the issue comes up.

You know those rooms at Audio shows where some amp is playing on $25K speakers that you love.
Well I finally have that sound at my house... thank you Danny.
Regards,
Steve

Steve, that is what I do all of this for. Stories like that keep me going and thinking about what can be next.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #172 on: 22 Mar 2019, 02:42 pm »
I'm just glad others can finally hear the insane level of quality that the Super 7s bring to the table.  Even after 14 years of going to RMAF, the Super 7s are still the best speaker I've ever heard, outside a couple crazy line source speakers. 

corndog71

« Reply #173 on: 22 Mar 2019, 04:19 pm »
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2019, 01:07 pm by corndog71 »

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #174 on: 22 Mar 2019, 07:07 pm »
sooooooooooooo.........jealous...... :green:

Captainhemo

« Reply #175 on: 22 Mar 2019, 08:17 pm »
sooooooooooooo.........jealous...... :green:

When  we have this pair done,  you're more than wlcome to come out and  hear them Perry.  I know  you have a relative  close  byso might work out well.

jay

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #176 on: 23 Mar 2019, 01:51 am »
My father in law is in vancouver but he has a son in summerland.
They are both into audio, but my father in law is hardcore like me....lol

I'd love to come up, but still a bit early in the year for a mountain crossing.
Hoping youll have something when I do come up.

Thanks Jay

corndog71

« Reply #177 on: 23 Mar 2019, 08:49 pm »
WOW!

I received my Super-7 upper kit today.  Very well packed, great quality. Easy to assemble.
Everything is put together temporarily. I will prep and paint them when the weather warms up.
Impressive sound, even in a lousy room, I will play with placement on the weekend. I just
wanted to sit and listen tonight.
Steve

Hey Steve,
How did you mount the Neo10’s?  Did you use the gaskets? 

SteveKi

« Reply #178 on: 23 Mar 2019, 10:23 pm »
Hey Steve,
How did you mount the Neo10’s?  Did you use the gaskets?

Rob,
No I did not use the gaskets. I remembered Danny mentioning gaskets not making a difference... hopefully that was in a thread talking about the Super 7s.
Steve

Captainhemo

« Reply #179 on: 24 Mar 2019, 05:14 am »
We designed the new baffles to use the gaskets, I guess whether or not you  do   is up to you  but  I will be.
a couple different  mounting depths  were tried in the diferent prototypes.

jay
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2019, 05:05 pm by Captainhemo »