What if there was a RM-5 SE?

GMuffley

What if there was a RM-5 SE?
« on: 25 Jan 2008, 05:38 pm »
Roger,

If you were building a RM-5 SE to go with the RM-9 SE, how would you do it?  Point to point wiring? Active regulation of the B+? Would it use 3 6922 tunes with the same topology as the RM-5? Etc.

I have used a RM-4, RM-5 MkIII and RM-9 MKII for several years and I am really curious if you have considered a full function preamp or upgraded RM-5?  I would certainly be interested and I believe others would be also.

Roger A. Modjeski

Re: What if there was a RM-5 SE?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2008, 05:56 am »
I am willing to do anything within reason if there be enough interest. Given the prices paid these days for high end components they should be hand wired with attention paid to layout, grounding and noise. I can certainly optimize these things.

Remote control is a big issue these days and I am looking into adding that to whatever I do next. I have a new design for tone controls that is nothing like the traditional ones that audiophiles rightly shun. I like to take a fresh look at things from time to time. Good tone controls will allow one to change the overall system sound with far more flexibility than changing cables, tubes, etc.

If my memory serves me, the original RM-5 came out at $950 in 1982. The RM-5 circuit is still as good as one can do with 3 tubes. The RM-1 does better, but it has 12 tubes and a separate power supply. I have a MK II version of the RM-1 available at $6500 with nice features for those who want a versatile full-function preamp.