Looking for input on design cosmetics!

Kevin Haskins

Looking for input on design cosmetics!
« on: 11 Jan 2009, 11:19 pm »
Hey... I'm in the process of updating cosmetics on the Exodus amplifier lineup.   I'm looking for input on cosmetics, ergonomics, and just general looks for the new models.     I've bought some new design and fabrication tools including a CNC mill, CNC lathe and I'll probably augment them with some small volume finishing tools for anodizing etc..      The goal is to have total in-house capability to prototype and do small scale production of models until we reach critical demand where they can be outsourced to ODMs.     

I'm at the stage where I'm brainstorming design ideas for the enclosures.   Since I have a CNC mill, I have significant design freedom.   I'm also not cost conscious.   I've pretty much given up on trying to design things to compete with the Chinese.   I'm not aiming for outlandish prices, but at the same time, I'm not going to be competing based upon price for these products.    With that in mind, I'm looking for any feedback on amplifier, integrated, and preamplifier designs so I can start CAD work and development.   

Bring me your favorite designs.   If you have something that looks really cool or and idea for a design concept, bring it.    I'll reward anyone who gives me significant help that makes it into finished form in some way shape or form.    If the help is significant, I'll consider significant rewards like one of the early beta units.     

Right now I'm just looking for general things.   I'll narrow down to the specific once I have a general overall lineup look/feel.   Right now don't feel constrained to give advice based upon the fact that it the device is an amplifier, preamp or otherwise.   Hell... I don't even care if it is an audio device.    There is no reason to stop the creative process at high-end audio components.   My interest lies in creating something that looks classy, yet not overdone.   I don't want big neon lights or wiz-bang features.  Ergonomics will play a large roll in the final device but for now, I'm looking for general recommendations.    I want something that looks like it belongs in a house.   High-end furniture or other tastefully done devices all can be considered good feedback.    Materials can be pretty much anything.   I can do machined metals, wood, glass and even tool injection molded plastic if needed.   

Bring it on! 

mcgsxr

Re: Looking for input on design cosmetics!
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2009, 12:09 am »
I would be very intersted to see a 3D faceplate.  Since you can CNC, you could begin with a 1 inch aluminum piece, and contour the face in 3D.  The options are endless - mountain ranges, beach scenes, skylines, scenes of nature etc!

Now add in anodizing the piece beforehand, and you have a relief and colour scheme...

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2009, 01:33 am »
Marks suggestions are excellent.  I'll add volume control on the right with a large knob, direct input is nice, if there is a tube, let's see them  :D  power led.

Machined glass??  I'd love to see an example.  Especially with tubes.  aa

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2009, 01:48 am »
What I'd like to see is an amp chassis that's easily configurable to sit on the floor without needing an amp platform.  Maybe some attachable spikes or rails for chassis ventilation and vibration control when placed on carpet.  The attachment should integrate into the design of the chassis to provide a striking look when the amp is placed out in the room.  The vibration control would be helpful even if the amp was stuffed in a rack.

Russ

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2009, 02:01 am »
How about some pictures of models that you like?    Pictures are good.    I'm thinking about product that has high WAF along with fitting into typical room decor.   Some of these products will hopefully be attractive to people outside of high-end audio.     Think of things that your non-audiophile friends would like and want in their home.   

I know people scoff at B&O products but something along those lines but maybe a little more conservative. 

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2009, 03:26 am »
Have you seen the Avalon speakers from some of the CES reports?  The design makes for an ugly speaker (IMHO) but a shorter, wider iteration in metal or aluminum would make a pretty cool looking amp.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2009, 04:59 pm »
Have you seen the Avalon speakers from some of the CES reports?  The design makes for an ugly speaker (IMHO) but a shorter, wider iteration in metal or aluminum would make a pretty cool looking amp.

Yea... I can make the sides come down, have a gap and the front plate do something like a contour or point between.    I'm thinking maybe a little more radical.   I'm going to dig around on some creative furniture forums and see what I can find.   

stereocilia

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2009, 05:24 pm »
FWIW, I love the look of recent Jeff Rowland Design Group equipment.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2009, 07:44 pm »
FWIW, I love the look of recent Jeff Rowland Design Group equipment.

I like them too.   I wouldn't rip that kind of look from another company though.    It looks like they are using a 1" slab of aluminum on the front.   That is actually easier to machine than thin stuff (not the same vibration in the work which requires special fixturing) but the material cost is up significantly using that thick of material.   Not enough to make a difference as far as I'm concerned.   

You can double the material price and it still isn't the most significant cost when doing small volume work.   That relationship changes quickly as you do more volume.   When you are doing 1000 units of something the material cost is a much larger percentage of the total cost.

I like a mix of materials.   I nice laq. wood finish mixed with thick machined metal yells out quality.   

sts9fan

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2009, 07:59 pm »
I also love the contrast of Alu with wood.  I would suggest using local hardwoods inplace of exotic veneers and use that as a marketing tool.  How much energy is saved by not shipping wood 2k miles etc.  Plus it will look swell.   

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 2009, 08:05 pm »
I also love the contrast of Alu with wood.  I would suggest using local hardwoods inplace of exotic veneers and use that as a marketing tool.  How much energy is saved by not shipping wood 2k miles etc.  Plus it will look swell.   

Ha!  I don't think we have many local hardwoods.   We have plenty of fir and cedar.   We do have big leaf maples too.  They are huge!   I had to cut one out of our backyard because of a wind storm. 

The trees grow like grass out here.

darwin

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jan 2009, 09:29 pm »
I like a mix of materials.   I nice laq. wood finish mixed with thick machined metal yells out quality.   

Now you're talking. ;) I would also suggest some very lightly frosted glass/Lexan inserts to show off the softened glow of the LEDs - a' la tube amps - sort of retro tech.

Everyone can make a rectangle, cube, trapezoid, or even a triangle, but I've often wondered why no one (to my knowledge) has made a round amp, that is round like a hat box, not spherical.

BobM

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jan 2009, 09:50 pm »
Kevin,

I think, whatever you do, you need to retain some form of cosmetic consistency to help define your "brand". So make sure that it works across all product categories that you are going to provide. You may want to think about how to integrate the design with functionality and usability (i.e. some brands lay out buttons and controls in a swoop, which identifies their style).

You should also consider brushed vs shiny surfaces. Shiny looks good, as long as they are not marred by fingerprints (impossible to prevent). Brushed surfaces can also be textured to add to a design flair (i.e. Jeff Rowland was mentioned already).

As for wood ... yes, wood looks nice, but it can be problematic. It can dry out and crack, especially if attached to something that throws off heat. It can loosen up over time. Be careful with your choices here.

Hey, how about going to the dark side and incorporating different Amish hex symbols to define each product (or something similar)? You could call the product by the symbol, instead of a name (like the artist formally known as Prince).  :wink:

Industrial design is a bit of science and art. Sometimes wimsy works if it plays into the usability, but sometimes it is just wimsy, and one person's fashion is another person's uuukkk.

Good luck,
Bob

guest1632

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jan 2009, 11:18 pm »

Now you're talking. ;) I would also suggest some very lightly frosted glass/Lexan inserts to show off the softened glow of the LEDs - a' la tube amps - sort of retro tech.

Everyone can make a rectangle, cube, trapezoid, or even a triangle, but I've often wondered why no one (to my knowledge) has made a round amp, that is round like a hat box, not spherical.

Hi, I remember a little round amp coming from a British company in the .70's. It wasn't real tall, but was completely round at the sides and flat at the top. The preamp was this flat box, say a half inch or so thick. Just enough room for some DIN connectors on the back. This preamp used a magnetic switch that you would slide from one input to the next. Other than Mac, this was my real first exposure to highend sound. I think the 30W amp and preamp were from Lexicon. The best I hcan tell you the amp kinda resemmbled a rocket shape with the nose flattened.

Ray Bronk

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #14 on: 13 Jan 2009, 02:20 am »

The Hypex voltage regulators I use have a nice glow.   

Probably the reason for rectangular is cost, and build complexity.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jan 2009, 02:28 am »
Kevin,

I think, whatever you do, you need to retain some form of cosmetic consistency to help define your "brand". So make sure that it works across all product categories that you are going to provide. You may want to think about how to integrate the design with functionality and usability (i.e. some brands lay out buttons and controls in a swoop, which identifies their style).

You should also consider brushed vs shiny surfaces. Shiny looks good, as long as they are not marred by fingerprints (impossible to prevent). Brushed surfaces can also be textured to add to a design flair (i.e. Jeff Rowland was mentioned already).

As for wood ... yes, wood looks nice, but it can be problematic. It can dry out and crack, especially if attached to something that throws off heat. It can loosen up over time. Be careful with your choices here.

Hey, how about going to the dark side and incorporating different Amish hex symbols to define each product (or something similar)? You could call the product by the symbol, instead of a name (like the artist formally known as Prince).  :wink:

Industrial design is a bit of science and art. Sometimes wimsy works if it plays into the usability, but sometimes it is just wimsy, and one person's fashion is another person's uuukkk.

Good luck,
Bob

Bingo... I agree.   The entire lineup should have a "look".   I am an ergonomics geek so I also want it to be usable and have that "touch/feel" that makes it pleasing.   The Japanese have a word that describes something that has an appealing ergonomic touch and feel.    We don't but I know what they mean.    That is how I want the controls to work.    Buttons, knobs and everything should have a good tactile feel and it should feel nice as well as look nice. 

The other thing that I've considered is integrating something like the Slimdevices Duet into the preamp.   I'd have a spot for the controller to mount and design the cradle into the preamp.   Use the Slimdevices controller as the remote, which controls switching, volume and all the standard Duet functions.    Make it one integrated design.

In terms of heat, all my amps are Class D.   None of them get hot enough to really be an issue.   I'm big on designing something that is ecologically responsible and the Class D amps fit that model as well as sounding excellent when used correctly.   

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #16 on: 13 Jan 2009, 02:29 am »

Hi, I remember a little round amp coming from a British company in the .70's. It wasn't real tall, but was completely round at the sides and flat at the top. The preamp was this flat box, say a half inch or so thick. Just enough room for some DIN connectors on the back. This preamp used a magnetic switch that you would slide from one input to the next. Other than Mac, this was my real first exposure to highend sound. I think the 30W amp and preamp were from Lexicon. The best I hcan tell you the amp kinda resemmbled a rocket shape with the nose flattened.

Ray Bronk

The B&O thing is round.   They have a lot of cool looking items but nothing I'd want to own.   They all look too weird for my taste. 

guest1632

« Reply #17 on: 13 Jan 2009, 03:23 am »

Ray Bronk

The B&O thing is round.   They have a lot of cool looking items but nothing I'd want to own.   They all look too weird for my taste. 

Hi Kevin,

Well, BNO is a bit out there. But I thought this bit of nastalgia would interest you. Both pieces were rather unassuming. I'd probably go as low a profile as you can make it. I don't think I'd go for the flashy look. It's kinda hard what to say, since I can't see the whole area that the amp or product that you are making would be fitting in to. But that's my suggestion. Maybe, angled sides so the front is narrower than the back. Maybe, the top of the unit wouldn't be totally flat either.

Ray Bronk

mbolek

« Reply #18 on: 14 Jan 2009, 12:21 am »
Kevin,

Great topic.

I have always liked the industrial look.  The new equipment from Esoteric and PS Audio have some great designs.  Rowland, as mentioned before, has always been classy in my mind.   

As you know, I built my Hypex amps using the chassis from Hexateq.   Looks like they have some new designs.

I would keep in mind the fit and finish of the Apple products.  They have done a fantastic job with the all of their products.  They just feel good.

With that said, I never disliked your original amp designs, but I'm glad you are trying to kick it up a couple of notches.

Good luck,

Marty

stereocilia

« Reply #19 on: 16 Jan 2009, 01:22 am »
I was just looking at the Virtue Audio website where woods and colors can be mixed and matched.  I think this is a cool idea, but it I could see how a stockpile of less-popular colors or wood options might increase the cost.  At the same time, the more popular colors and options might have a waiting list.  I guess it's easy to see the appeal of a Henry Ford "any color as long as it's black" approach.

This is a fun topic to think about.