Space-tech pre- and head-amps

chadh

« on: 24 Jan 2006, 10:49 pm »
I'm considering adding a tubed pre-amp to my system, but also want to ensure high quality headphone facilities.

One of the options I've been looking at is the Space-Tech QA-001.  Albert at Space-Tech tells me that he can add circuitry and a jack to give me a headphone out on the pre-amp.  So, I was wondering if anybody had any experience with a headphone out on a space-tech pre-amp, or even with a space-tech head-amp?

Chad

beatdownvictim

• http://DOULIK.COM
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2006, 12:35 pm »
errrrr i think that it's a lesser known company in AC
there are some reviews of alberts products in the asylum though.

I think i'm gonna drop by albert's place and pay a visit to him tm!

chadh

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2006, 03:28 pm »
Thanks.  I'll check things out at AA.

And if you're visiting Albert, any chance you could take along a pair of Sennheiser HD580/600/650s and have a listen to some sort of head-amp for me? hehehe

Chad

beatdownvictim

• http://DOULIK.COM
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2006, 10:55 pm »
errrrrrrrr i've got a set of crappy grado sr60's.  They're good, but nowhere near the sennheisers you listed.

But to be honest, i'm not very familiar with headphones/headphone amps.  If you got any questions you want me to ask him lemme know.  Cuz i think he'd be more inclined to talk if i'm in front of him.

chadh

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2006, 02:37 am »
Thanks.  I was really (mostly) kidding about the "audition".  

And thanks for offering to ask questions:  but I've been emailing him for the past few days with way too many questions.  I'll be wearing out my welcome soon.

Let me know what you listen to while you're there, and how it all sounds.  I'm thinking about the QA-001 and the QA-113.

Chad

dcktr

Space Tech
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2006, 08:11 am »
Chad
I have the QA113 as wsll as many other STL products
Top notch stuff, and Albert has put up with my 146 emails
IF you want more info do not hesitate to PM me.
Ron

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2006, 05:07 pm »
I am under the impression Albert knows his stuff.  I think you don't have to worry.

Jon L

Re: Space-tech pre- and head-amps
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2006, 05:22 pm »
Quote from: chadh
I'm considering adding a tubed pre-amp to my system, but also want to ensure high quality headphone facilities.

One of the options I've been looking at is the Space-Tech QA-001.  Albert at Space-Tech tells me that he can add circuitry and a jack to give me a headphone out on the pre-amp.  So, I was wondering if anybody had any experience with a headphone out on a space-tech pre-amp, or even with a space-tech head-amp?

Chad

"Adding circuitry" for headphone out is not a simple matter, at least not if you want a good headphone out.  Could you ask him if he can derive the headphone circuit from the actual tube stage, not not just add a separate op-amp based headphone jack like Audible Illusions L1 used to do?

If he does make such a beast, lots of people at Head-Fi.org will be interested.

chadh

Re: Space-tech pre- and head-amps
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jan 2006, 08:38 pm »
Quote from: Jon L
"Adding circuitry" for headphone out is not a simple matter, at least not if you want a good headphone out.  Could you ask him if he can derive the headphone circuit from the actual tube stage, not not just add a separate op-amp based headphone jack like Audible Illusions L1 used to do?

If he does make such a beast, lots of people at Head-Fi.org will be interested.

I'll certainly ask what's involved in the headphone out modification.  I'm pretty ignorant about these things, but the correspondence I've had with him suggests that the headphone out certainly uses the tube stage.  When he tried to compare the relative merits of the headphone out on his pre-amp and my current solid-state head-amp, he certainly referred to the "tubiness" of his headphone out.

My correspondence with him largely involved the QA-001.  This is the bottom product in his pre-amp line, using two 6SL7 or two 6SN7 tubes, a single input and a single output (in its standard configuration).  With the 6SN7 tubes, it would generate gain of around x5, with maximum output of around 5Vrms.

With the simple headphone mod (whatever it involves), the headphone output would generate only around 0.6Vrms output into my 300ohm Sennheisers.  Albert wasn't sure that this would be sufficient to drive them adequately (although he suspected it would be).  He suggested that he could mess around with the circuit, add an additional two 6SN7s and increase the transformer rating, and increase the headphone output to around 5Vrms into 300ohms, which would be sufficient to drive the Senns.  Again, this suggests that the headphone out comes from the tube circuitry.

Moreover, whether the "standard" modification he makes to provide a headphone output involves a simple op-amp headphone jack, it certainly seems that Albert is willing to make significant changes to his designs to accommodate the needs of the customer.

I think I've changed my mind about how to proceed, though.  The QA-001 is $400, and the proposed mods for the headphone out would have cost another $300.  So, I think I'm likely to hold onto my current head-amp (Sugden Headmaster, which has been used for pre-amp duties up until now), and use it from a tape-out on my new pre-amp.  This allows me to fool myself into believing I've saved a heap of cash, and so justify buying a pre-amp from further up Albert's line - the QA-112 (not the QA-113 that I mentioned before).  The QA-112 utilises tube rectification, and comes equiped with an extra input and an extra (tape) output.

As an aside, Albert's webpage also lists several head-amps in his product line.  These are generally more expensive items than I was looking for, and most are low-powered SET integrateds, rather than pre-amps.

Chad