North East Ohio

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
Re: North East Ohio
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jun 2013, 07:30 pm »
Grew up in Akron.  Lived in Firestone Park (just sold my Mom's house last year).  Went to Garfield High (before the Security Guards...)  one brother still lives in the Park.

Regards,

Randy

milpai

• My Dedicated Audio Room
« Reply #21 on: 10 Jun 2013, 08:14 pm »
I am in Akron. Will be interested to join the local audiophile group  :)

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #22 on: 10 Jun 2013, 09:01 pm »
I worked in Akron for 13 years. At the bottom of Britain Road hill and I-76. It was a 105 mile round-trip every day.

db audio labs

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 10 Jun 2013, 09:16 pm »
Hey guys, this is so great! I'm currently in Bath, OH. Been all over the country but came full circle back to my roots here a few years ago  :thumb:

It would be really cool if we could all get together nearby at a place with a very good sized listening room for all to attend. I can easily provide one of my four full reference systems, components and all, should someone want to put a gathering together in a large event space outside of an audiophile's homestead. Note: We may need a huge lift truck though if someone should ask me to bring my overt Epiphany line source speakers. Nothing beats 40 woofers and 42 tweeters for life size concert sound reproduction!  :drums:

Cheers,

Eric Hider - dB Audio Labs
www.dbaudiolabs.com

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #24 on: 10 Jun 2013, 09:30 pm »
Eric, hey!!  :)

That might be a great idea...find a space like a conf room or something that has decent sound and each of us bring stuff.  I have 4 DSD DACS, gobs of eval USB cables, KSA-150 monoblocks, Concert Fidelity CF-080 preamp, Bent TAP preamp, etc etc.  I could show folks my newest CAPS-Zuma-like server (Asus mobo, i7-3770S..dual pc Jplay setup...I will write a review on it soon).

Or we could hang at my listening room (see system) in Westlake....but not exactly central to these locations, however..

But I think the first one should be at an neutral site until we figure out size of group, etc.

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #25 on: 10 Jun 2013, 09:57 pm »
Wow, more Ohio audiophiles!  Sometimes I feel a bit alone....  I grew up in NE Ohio (boonies south of Ashtabula) and am now in Mount Vernon, although that is more like central Ohio.  I still have family in that area and am up there frequently.  I'd love to get together with some other AC people sometime.  Obviously, I'm happy to bring along some ACA/Melody gear to demo at some point, but I'm also happy to just bring some food and my ears for when some other gear is to be the focus.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 10 Jun 2013, 10:53 pm »
Yeah, I could grab Teajay's Melody 300B integrated....wow what a great piece.  It would be great to have you up here.  We met at CES, right? (I am Greg Graff's friend who reviewed his MG Audio cables, etc).  I wasn't aware you were so close.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #27 on: 10 Jun 2013, 11:49 pm »
My gear consists of NCore mono blocks with some improvement mods such as custom internal wiring as well as a direct connection for the speaker wire (ala Ric Schultz), Furutech IEC's etc.  I have Selah Audio DIY'd TRT speakers(all SS drivers), an Exasound E20 DSD capable DAC, an absolute mint ADCOM GFP-750 preamp(just bought it on Audiogon), a Paul Hynes SR3-12 Power Supply, etc, etc.

By the way Ted.  Don't be volunteering your Bent TAP preamp until I decide you can have it back... :lol: (along with various balanced IC's of yours that I have been "borrowing").

Regards,

Randy

raysracing

« Reply #28 on: 11 Jun 2013, 12:41 am »
I hope you guys are as much of beer snobs and stereo sonbs so we can meet at Melt on Taylor in Cleveland Heights or the Bottle HOuse on Lee rd. also in Cleveland Heights.  if we need to find a more southern spot let me know.

I race bicycles so I am out training many evenings and racing on weekends, but could do most nights after 9pm. I would be happy to start a mailing list too.

Ray

WireNut

« Reply #29 on: 11 Jun 2013, 03:30 am »

Columbus would fall at the midpoint between Cincinnati and Cleveland or Akron for me, approx 115 miles.

woofersus

• Industry Participant
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #30 on: 11 Jun 2013, 05:25 am »
Yeah, I could grab Teajay's Melody 300B integrated....wow what a great piece.  It would be great to have you up here.  We met at CES, right? (I am Greg Graff's friend who reviewed his MG Audio cables, etc).  I wasn't aware you were so close.

Yes, I remember that.  I also found out Eric was nearby when we chatted at CES this past year.

I actually have that same Melody integrated in my own system.  Everybody should definitely hear one. :)

woofersus

• Industry Participant
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #31 on: 11 Jun 2013, 05:27 am »
I hope you guys are as much of beer snobs and stereo sonbs so we can meet at Melt on Taylor in Cleveland Heights or the Bottle HOuse on Lee rd. also in Cleveland Heights.  if we need to find a more southern spot let me know.

I race bicycles so I am out training many evenings and racing on weekends, but could do most nights after 9pm. I would be happy to start a mailing list too.

Ray

I'm closer to Columbus, but I don't mind heading north.  I know the Cleveland area very well.

carusoracer

« Reply #32 on: 11 Jun 2013, 04:28 pm »
Great thread!

Count me in. The summer is difficult to meet as I'm racing the sailboat. But in the off season that would be cool.

I'm in Central OH, just south of Columbus.  Ted and I have met before but I thought I was the only audio person in OH beside Ted and Eric.  Eric, I still have my Dodd 120's.

Let's put something together. My folks still live in the Heights area :thumb: The places you are naming had different names I'm sure but always up for a good Ale or Lager.

Woofersus, I would luv to get together to hear some Melody gear. Ive heard nothing but good things. We are a fairly close to each other. :beer:

My system is listed on the site.

raysracing

« Reply #33 on: 11 Jun 2013, 11:52 pm »
There is a very high end purveyor here in Shaker Heigts  that I have never been to, but I could talk to the owner about possible demos as well. My budget does not allow me entrance to his home, but I know some people who have bought from him before. I'll try and remember his name tonight.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 11 Jun 2013, 11:59 pm »
I know Don Better very well.  He is a good friend.

raysracing

« Reply #35 on: 12 Jun 2013, 12:09 am »
I know Don Better very well.  He is a good friend.

Do you think he would like to demo a dac or phono pre at a get together? Would be fun and good exposure for him and not much if a hassle.

Also would you all be interested in a meet like a vinyl Sunday event where a well sorted system is demoed with an entire album played through, no talking or gaps. Discussion after then maybe some more records or tracks played.

I also know a couple of Cleveland Orchestra musicians who might be able to discuss there recordings too.

Ray

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 12 Jun 2013, 12:15 am »
I personally feel we need to walk before we run.  Let's get together a couple times before we ask these others to donate, etc.  We need to have a little bit of track record, and a better feel for what everyone wants.  My $.02

maxboy00

« Reply #37 on: 12 Jun 2013, 12:32 am »
There is a very high end purveyor here in Shaker Heigts  that I have never been to, but I could talk to the owner about possible demos as well. My budget does not allow me entrance to his home, but I know some people who have bought from him before. I'll try and remember his name tonight.

You are thinking of Don Better, of D. Better Audio in Shaker Heights, never been to his house but he has mixed bag of gear as listed on his web  site. What I mean is his gear is not typical of what can be purchased locally. his stuff is a little higher end. The best place to go IMHO is Hanson's in Dayton.

maxboy00

« Reply #38 on: 12 Jun 2013, 12:36 am »
I personally feel we need to walk before we run.  Let's get together a couple times before we ask these others to donate, etc.  We need to have a little bit of track record, and a better feel for what everyone wants.  My $.02

+1

raysracing

« Reply #39 on: 12 Jun 2013, 12:44 am »

Agreed, but I usually run before I walk. Tends to make me sore too. Ha.

Anyways, get together in July? I'll see what weekends I have available.