Listen to Spatial Audio Speakers Here...

ebag4

Re: Listen to Spatial Audio Speakers Here...
« Reply #20 on: 1 Jan 2017, 02:03 am »
Great review Michael, thanks for listing some of the tracks, a few new (for me) gems in there!

Best,
Ed

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: 1 Jan 2017, 05:20 pm »
Glad you enjoyed the listening experience!   :thumb:

mca

« Reply #22 on: 1 Jan 2017, 06:01 pm »
Anyone with a pair in the Seattle area? Would love to hear a pair. I can bring my LIO over to hear that combo as well  :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: 1 Jan 2017, 06:32 pm »
I should also add some in room FR measurements at the listening position.  Small room with moderate GIK treatments.  Bass traps and (3) pairs of absorption panels and a pair of Diffusors.  Nothing special and a small room in a rental house.  I am going to be adding quite a bit of more treatments soon though. 

raw

1/8 smoothing

Odal3

« Reply #24 on: 1 Jan 2017, 07:15 pm »
Michael, what a nice review. I really enjoyed reading it!  Well done   :thumb:

SFDude

« Reply #25 on: 1 Jan 2017, 07:34 pm »
Anyone with a pair in the Seattle area? Would love to hear a pair. I can bring my LIO over to hear that combo as well  :thumb:

PM me. I'm in Seattle proper and, despite my room and system not being fully set up, you're more than welcome to listen and actually help to dial it in a little better. :)

mca

« Reply #26 on: 1 Jan 2017, 08:15 pm »
 :thumb:

finsup

« Reply #27 on: 1 Jan 2017, 11:28 pm »
finsup, that was one of the best recaps of a listening session I've ever read in about 20 yrs of reading audio posts/forums (since the r.a.h.e days, for those of you old enough to remember them).

Thanks for the recap (well worth the wait) and impressions of the M3 Turbo S speakers with Jason's gear. I've got a lot of work to do on my own system (anchored by the very same speakers) but sounds like it is a journey that Jason has finally neared the end of. Who am I joking? That journey never ends but at least he has made a stop that sounds lengthy enough to rest at. :)
SFDude, thanks so much.  I'm not sure about Jason nearing the end of his journey, not even stopping for a moment.  I think he may be upgrading to the Spatial X1. Now, if he does get it, I need to invite myself over there  to audition them.  :green:

finsup

« Reply #28 on: 1 Jan 2017, 11:44 pm »
^^^^^what he said!!!
Gobsmacking review and to be honest, I'm not surprised, jtwrace knows how to assemble a fine musical experience  :thumb:

Best,
Anand.

Great review Michael, thanks for listing some of the tracks, a few new (for me) gems in there!

Best,
Ed

Michael, what a nice review. I really enjoyed reading it!  Well done   :thumb:

Thanks for the nice comments. 
Anand, you are right about Jason setting up a great musical experience.  I can only imagine now what his prior listening space was like.  If he gets the X1s, I will be very interested how he gets the them to play in his current room.  That might be a challenge

Ed, if you want to know about any of the tracks listed, just PM me.

Odal3, I am glad you enjoyed reading it.  I enjoyed writing it.  I can't write about this stuff in technical terms but at least I can convey the musical experience.  I hope others will open up their homes to auditions.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: 2 Jan 2017, 01:41 am »
SFDude, thanks so much.  I'm not sure about Jason nearing the end of his journey, not even stopping for a moment.  I think he may be upgrading to the Spatial X1. Now, if he does get it, I need to invite myself over there  to audition them.  :green:
You're welcome anytime. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #30 on: 2 Jan 2017, 01:42 am »
If he gets the X1s, I will be very interested how he gets the them to play in his current room.  That might be a challenge

Actually I don't think it will be any worse.  If anything, it should be better.   :green:

SFDude

« Reply #31 on: 14 Jan 2017, 06:40 pm »
You're welcome anytime.

Well, that's all the invite I need then.  :green:

BTW, how long did it take you to dial in the sound with your M3s? I must admit, I've been making small adjustments to the positioning here and there. I have them toed in to be directed right at my ears in the sitting position and they are coming together. The depth of the soundstage hasn't been too much of a challenge (it's decently layered behind and very slightly in front of the speakers). The width on the other hand is a challenge.

I have no dampening or absorption in my room yet. Clayton Shaw suggested this and I haven't gotten around to a) purchasing the needed materials/acoustic panels, b) having more time than about an hour or so to actually sit down, listen and just enjoy the music.

Otherwise, all other tweaks have been in the upstream gear.

Any insights into your journey to dial it in would be useful and helpful for sure!

-dave

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: 14 Jan 2017, 07:16 pm »
Well, that's all the invite I need then.  :green:
Yep.

BTW, how long did it take you to dial in the sound with your M3s? I must admit, I've been making small adjustments to the positioning here and there. I have them toed in to be directed right at my ears in the sitting position and they are coming together. The depth of the soundstage hasn't been too much of a challenge (it's decently layered behind and very slightly in front of the speakers). The width on the other hand is a challenge.

I have no dampening or absorption in my room yet. Clayton Shaw suggested this and I haven't gotten around to a) purchasing the needed materials/acoustic panels, b) having more time than about an hour or so to actually sit down, listen and just enjoy the music.

Otherwise, all other tweaks have been in the upstream gear.

Any insights into your journey to dial it in would be useful and helpful for sure!

-dave

Well, it's really not that hard but it does take a bit of effort if you want it to sound its best.  I'd suggest you get a calibrated mic and stand and download the appropriate software and start there.  Otherwise, send/post pics of your room in a new thread in the acoustics circle and get feedback.  Either way you will need to take measurements if you really want to know what's going on.  Otherwise just play with placement until you get what you *think* is good. 

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
« Reply #33 on: 14 Jan 2017, 07:42 pm »
Michael I really enjoyed your visit and review writing. You should be in some kind of professional writing endeavor with that simple, natural, direct and at the same time eloquent writing style. Very nice! Really got into it, especially the information on the music heard so I am starting to assemble a playlist containing some of them. As far as the Spatials, well I use the M4's, and I can attest to the sound characteristics you describe. These, albeit in a small room produce a huge soundstage with a bowling alley depth. I listen to them nearfield - I am the only guy who listens to them in my house-  When I have friends over I move the system to my living room - one hour's work each time I do it-

Maybe you do not need the M3's which are much bigger than the 4's, but I did not gather the size of your room anyway. I recently added a pair of Ripole subwoofers - you can read about that in a few threads down- and they really compliment the Spatials. So, greetings and thanks for the review. Manuel

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #34 on: 31 Jan 2017, 03:16 pm »
Sounds like Michael "finsup" is going to come over for another listen.  Hopefully he'll let us all know what he thinks after he does. 

TimS

« Reply #35 on: 31 Jan 2017, 08:00 pm »
Your'e getting the X1's?8)

Sounds like Michael "finsup" is going to come over for another listen.  Hopefully he'll let us all know what he thinks after he does.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: 31 Jan 2017, 08:10 pm »
Your'e getting the X1's?8)
Maybe.  Dunno for sure yet.

Don_S

« Reply #37 on: 31 Jan 2017, 08:29 pm »
Anybody near Sacramento, CA?

TimS

« Reply #38 on: 31 Jan 2017, 09:39 pm »
 I haven't heard the M3's but from what I've read they appear to be very good value for money. 
The X1's are maybe 4 to 5 times the price of the M3's; in your opinion, do they have the same bang for the buck as the M3's?

Thanks

Maybe.  Dunno for sure yet.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #39 on: 1 Feb 2017, 02:59 am »
I haven't heard the M3's but from what I've read they appear to be very good value for money. 
The X1's are maybe 4 to 5 times the price of the M3's; in your opinion, do they have the same bang for the buck as the M3's?

Thanks
So comparing the X1 to $40k - $50k speakers?  Yes.  The only speaker in that price range that I think can compete with it is the TAD's.  That's it.