Just ordered an HD AVA

zhou

Re: Just ordered an HD AVA
« Reply #40 on: 31 Aug 2018, 03:37 am »
I am also interested in AVA. But this issue is worrying considering you have to ship it to Taiwan for return.
I notice a hum/low tone crackle on my speaker when connected to the HD-AVA and not playing anything. This is not present/ audible with the IDA-8. Has anybody else encountered this issue?

Please excuse the quality of the video - was too sleepy to do a good job. https://youtu.be/7FtUFv48nA0

Will try to post a better link of the noise tomorrow using TASCAM to record. Appreciate any suggestions/ feedback.

Thanks,
Ami

rustydoglim

« Reply #41 on: 2 Sep 2018, 05:21 am »
I thought this user got this resolved, the problem was his cable.

envydd

« Reply #42 on: 2 Sep 2018, 07:51 am »
Hi Jason, What cable would fix it? I have a low hum on my Ava. I am using the stock nuprime cable.

WhatIsHiFi

« Reply #43 on: 3 Sep 2018, 02:36 am »
I am also interested in AVA. But this issue is worrying considering you have to ship it to Taiwan for return.

Hi Jason, What cable would fix it? I have a low hum on my Ava. I am using the stock nuprime cable.

Apologies for silence on topic - Work has been keeping me busy. I'm attempting to isolate it to either power, speaker cable or USB DAC interconnect and will respond before end of week with an update on the hum/ crackle.

Also, will update all with the details of *my* musical impressions of this setup.

Meanwhile one other issue that I've encountered:
1. I've not been able to get Airplay to work. Though AVA WiFi SSID is broadcast my iOS devices cannot connect to it.

John Casler

« Reply #44 on: 3 Sep 2018, 07:16 pm »

Meanwhile one other issue that I've encountered:
1. I've not been able to get Airplay to work. Though AVA WiFi SSID is broadcast my iOS devices cannot connect to it.

not sure if this will help but in the Q&A it talks about downloading the latest firmware

http://nuprimeaudio.com/faq/?v=7516fd43adaa

Look under HT.

WhatIsHiFi

« Reply #45 on: 10 Sep 2018, 02:29 am »
Sorry to hear your crackle etc. I have not experienced this. For me, I can hear a very faint buzz if I put my ears 1" away from my coaxial drivers. Was told it could be some line noise but I never bothered to filter it (lack of time!), its also present with my IDA6. So I assumed its my line or a characteristic of NuP.

Did you check your connections/banana plugs etc. I have seen loose connections doing funky things

I have not been able to get rid of the buzz. Will update with a recording later this week. This was not present on the IDA-8 with exact same options.

Description of buzz: It's faint and not audible to my ears at listening distance (8 ft from each speaker). It is audible few inches from the speaker cone.

I am in the process of renovating my basement with sound proofing/ sound absorption so will update once this project is complete.

Listed below are the options tried:

1. Swapped USB cables from computer to AMP.
2. Tried on different Laptops WIN as well as MAC.
3. Changed power supply. 

not sure if this will help but in the Q&A it talks about downloading the latest firmware

http://nuprimeaudio.com/faq/?v=7516fd43adaa

Look under HT.

Still haven't been able to get AIRPLAY to work.

I downloaded the folder with the FW but was unable to update. Menu navigation is the shortest path to frustration, it is buggy beyond comprehension.

If anybody has successfully attempted the FW update I would appreciate if you could please share your tips. Attached here are some screen captures of both menu and FW folder & file path

Review of the musicality of the AMP:
The AMP is definitely more musical sounding than the IDA-8. There is a sweetness to the sound that is easily discernible to even non-audiophile ears. I did multiple blind tests playing the same music vis-à-vis the IDA-8 when playing through the USB-DAC. Bass is definitely more pronounced, tight and fulfilling at lower volumes.  The sound stage is well described & detailed. Vocals are rich and full throat'd(if that makes sense). Tracks:

1. Pink Floyd: Wish you were here
2. Ed Harcourt: The cusp and the wane
3. Raghu dixit: Preetiya Hesare Neenu (Unplugged version)
4. Muddy Waters: Hoochie coochie man

Thanks,
A

srb

« Reply #46 on: 10 Sep 2018, 02:59 am »
I downloaded the folder with the FW but was unable to update. Menu navigation is the shortest path to frustration, it is buggy beyond comprehension.
Not sure why you have two identically named folders.  Sometimes too long of a filepath can be problematic, but that's not too likely the case here as your first "HD-AVPAVA-USB-20T" folder is directly off the root of your D: Drive.

I do wonder if your second folder might possibly be a downloaded archive (zip) folder?  If so that generally won't work unless the files are first extracted.

Steve

envydd

« Reply #47 on: 10 Sep 2018, 04:44 am »
Hmm.... thats the same experience as mine: I tried changing power cables, bought a TrippLite IsoBar power strip etc. Doesnt bother me as the sound is awesome - better than my IDA6 but my IceEdge 1200AS2 amp is slightly better (more bass, slightly warmer). 1200AS2 is the latest Icepower offering and the fact that the HDAVA is close is good. I have also compared to a Hypex NC502 and the HDAVA was more neutral with a little less bass.

For the price, it is unbeatable. OK living with teh faint noise given its only audible a few inches from the drivers.

WhatIsHiFi

« Reply #48 on: 10 Sep 2018, 02:39 pm »
Not sure why you have two identically named folders.  Sometimes too long of a filepath can be problematic, but that's not too likely the case here as your first "HD-AVPAVA-USB-20T" folder is directly off the root of your D: Drive.

I do wonder if your second folder might possibly be a downloaded archive (zip) folder?  If so that generally won't work unless the files are first extracted.

Steve

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried all combinations and none of them worked.
1. Same file path as the extracted zip
2. File located one sub-folder deep (no change to folder name)
3. File placed directly in the USB root (no sub-folders)

zhou

« Reply #49 on: 10 Sep 2018, 02:43 pm »
I doubt the USB cord could be an issue since it is digital. I once had a pair of powered speakers which will always has this noise at one location of home. Maybe it is power socket issue there. Did you try other sockets?

WhatIsHiFi

« Reply #50 on: 10 Sep 2018, 02:47 pm »
I doubt the USB cord could be an issue since it is digital. I once had a pair of powered speakers which will always has this noise at one location of home. Maybe it is power socket issue there. Did you try other sockets?

Good point - I will try this.

Update:
I just saw a response to my support e-mail from Jason and looks like AIRPLAY on the HD-AVA is an older version and will not work with newer versions of iOS devices. This means that there is no wireless way to play music from this device which sucks: no bluetooth, no airplay.

So apart from the USB DAC to 2 Channel which sounds good. There's not much else going on for this device. Perhaps I'm back in the market for an integrated, maybe back to the IDA-8?

envydd

« Reply #51 on: 10 Sep 2018, 08:08 pm »
I thought you felt that the amp is better than the ida8. Why not just add wr100 or a cheap google chromecast.

I have the following connected
- Chromecast Audio w iFi power
- computer via usb
- oppo 203 via coaxial and analog (sacd)

For my ls50s 200w makes a huge difference. I think the better option is to either get a ida16 or wait for the ida32. Or go separates for better sound

zhou

« Reply #52 on: 11 Sep 2018, 01:45 am »
It is pretty hard to find a future proof wireless streaming device. I would use a laptop to feed USB.

rustydoglim

« Reply #53 on: 11 Sep 2018, 07:22 am »
I don't recommend device with wireless built-in (ie. "locked in").
You can always get a cheap "whatever" wireless receiver thing.