Well, I pulled the trigger on building a pair of NX-oticas

Huskerbryce

I have all the crossover parts and drivers but waiting on the flat pack.  So I have started to layout and assemble the crossovers.  I will post progress as I can.  This is a busy time of year with all the kids’ stuff.  Right now I am in the preliminary stages of tossing the crossovers together.  I ended up doing some personal upgrades to the crossover.  Not sure how much sonic difference it will make but I did the large value cap bundle in the V-cap ODAMs.  The bypass caps are a combo of dueland copper cast-pio and miflex copper foils.  Used all path audio resistors with a trio in parallel on the main inline for heat dissipation and higher power handling. 

Vince in TX

Re: Well, I pulled the trigger on building a pair of NX-oticas
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2024, 03:21 am »
Following because these are definitely on my radar to replace my X-Statics at some point.    :popcorn:

Huskerbryce

« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2024, 03:50 am »
I am on the fence about doing external crossovers vs insert (speaker) mounted.  I think I am leaning toward designing the boards ascetically pleasing enough to do either.  Was bored today so cut some acrylic plates as well as some HDF wood plates.  I kind of like the idea of being able to see the wiring and the parts of the crossover.  Partly because I paid so damn much for the parts but mostly so I can easily do future upgrades or inspections and tweaks of components. Toying with rubber feet and other methods of vibration isolation on the potential boards. 

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2024, 03:48 pm »
That cheap inductor looks out of place with the rest of those ultra-premium crossover parts. You may as well spend a few extra dollars to upgrade them. Build an external crossover. 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2024, 05:32 pm »
That cheap inductor looks out of place with the rest of those ultra-premium crossover parts. You may as well spend a few extra dollars to upgrade them. Build an external crossover.
You mean the large iron core?

It can be done, but you'd have to go with a 10-12 gauge air-core coil to replace it, and cost will likely be $150-250 per coil to remain relatively close to the DCR of the Super-Q.
and the only place that makes them that large is Solen.
I'd imagine that a Foil in that size would need to be custom made, and probably cost 3-4X the price of the Solen coils.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2024, 07:33 pm »
You mean the large iron core?

It can be done, but you'd have to go with a 10-12 gauge air-core coil to replace it, and cost will likely be $150-250 per coil to remain relatively close to the DCR of the Super-Q.
and the only place that makes them that large is Solen.
I'd imagine that a Foil in that size would need to be custom made, and probably cost 3-4X the price of the Solen coils.

They are around $750 each if memory serves.

Early B.

« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2024, 08:42 pm »
They are around $750 each if memory serves.

That's pocket change for the OP.  :icon_lol:

mkrawcz

« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2024, 09:00 pm »
Those parts are pretty much exactly what my plan has been eventually when I decide to build a new crossover for my NX-Oticas.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #8 on: 8 May 2024, 02:12 am »
Those parts are pretty much exactly what my plan has been eventually when I decide to build a new crossover for my NX-Oticas.

Miflex is under "restructuring" and there may not be anymore pretty soon --> http://miflex.com.pl/en/

Madisound is blowing out their remaining Miflex inventory and the 8.2uF cap used on the Neo 3 tweeter, in particular @ $230/ea!!! I just bought a pair for a Studio monitor build.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/miflex-kpcu-capacitors/miflex-kpcu-8.2-mfd-250v-copper-foil-capacitor/

Huskerbryce

« Reply #9 on: 9 May 2024, 03:51 am »
I did consider upgrading the iron core inductor.  The extra cost was high and given the low frequency of that circuit I figured the audible difference would be negligible.  Also, I wanted to fit the crossovers in the speaker if I decided to do that.  I decided to use the acrylic panels for the top mount plate.  I think I may do a combo of the black wood plates I cut and the acrylic and do a stand off double layer crossover. 

Huskerbryce

« Reply #10 on: 9 May 2024, 07:23 pm »
Still no word on a flat pack.  Dont even know if its shipped yet.  I guess that allows focus on building some cool looking crossover boards. I had a week off from work coming so this week works as good as any to build crossovers.  I found some plastic feet that look like metal but all plastic (non-inductive) to mount under the base crossover board.  Used some 3M rubber feet attatched to the acrylic to stand it off.  This is allowing for not only a nice look but I can run the wire between the layers and do a better job of concealing the ugly stuff.  My son thinks I should put LED lights under the boards….maybe🤔

Tyson

« Reply #11 on: 9 May 2024, 08:39 pm »
I use the same slug inductor you are using and it’s fine.  No real loss in clarity, which is partly due to it being a good quality part and also due to it being used so low in the crossover.

Tyson

« Reply #12 on: 9 May 2024, 08:40 pm »
Also - nice work on the crossover.

BrandonB

« Reply #13 on: 9 May 2024, 08:55 pm »
WOW!  That crossover looks really cool.  I haven't seen anyone do that.

mkrawcz

« Reply #14 on: 9 May 2024, 09:27 pm »
That’s the nicest crossover I’ve seen for these speakers.

Early B.

« Reply #15 on: 9 May 2024, 10:37 pm »
Definitely do the LED lights!! 8)

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #16 on: 9 May 2024, 11:05 pm »
Hoping to box up tonight, Jay finished dry fit this aft I believe ,lots in the que currently.

Cheers,

Don

Huskerbryce

« Reply #17 on: 9 May 2024, 11:51 pm »
I finished the crossovers today!  Im excited to put these things into action.  So far the continuity checks, resistive value checks and capacitance checks put them within about .5% of each other.  Since I am still waiting on wood working stuff I think some LED lights are up next!😂🤣 

Danny Richie

« Reply #18 on: 10 May 2024, 12:19 am »
Man, those look nice.

I wouldn't worry about those Super Q coils on the outer woofers. That is the ideal coil for that application.

You are loosing some performance with those Path resistors and those binding posts though.

The rest of those parts are really good.

Huskerbryce

« Reply #19 on: 10 May 2024, 01:21 am »
I appreciate the kind words.  I used rhodium plated copper posts to try to minimize the loss.  I have really nice cables that utilize banana plugs that wont fit in the electra connectors.  These are the best option for me to fit what I currently employ.  I hope the loss of performance is very very very small.  Ive tried to think of everything I can to minimize loss while maximizing form, functionality and performance!  I have high hopes that improvements will happen over time.  I tried to build them with upgrades and future improvements in mind.  Im excited to hear them.