Is an Instant Pot Useful?

Doublej

Is an Instant Pot Useful?
« on: 29 Nov 2020, 03:58 pm »
Trying to decide if this is one of those devices that would get a lot of use or not. What say you? I don't have a slow cooker or rice maker or a pressure cooker.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Is an Instant Pot Useful?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2020, 04:27 pm »
Absolutely.  It's one of those things that I thought I might use occasionally, but I find I use it much more that I thought. 
No longer do you have to cook chili for hours and hours and worry about it sticking, beef stew is ready in 30 minutes, even dried legumes are quick and easy.  I cook fresh green beans like my great grand mother did... lots of bacon grease and cooked til soft.  Instead of all day on low,  it's ready in short order with the Instant pot.  And I've got a pressure cooker and a crock pot that I've used for years- but probably not anymore. 
Before I bought mine, I questioned whether it was worth the cabinet space.  It's worked great for me.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2020, 04:31 pm »
Depends on your lifestyle, how much cabinet/countertop space you have, and if you're a kitchen gadget kind of person.

My wife is a gadget gal, so we have one.  It gets used about once a week. 

2bigears

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2020, 06:20 pm »
 :D now is the time to buy if needed. I was looking at those too. Could be very useful or not. Depends on your lifestyle and foods you enjoy ,, and it is multi-use ,, so that's good.  China sold boat loads of these.  :D

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2020, 07:00 pm »
It's good for making high quality yogurt.

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2020, 08:47 pm »
Buy it. We've had one for years.

richidoo

« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2020, 11:02 pm »
Good for bone broth.

GentleBender

« Reply #7 on: 29 Nov 2020, 11:48 pm »
My wife got me one and I love it. Used it many times and it has never let me down. You can use it to to brown meat, onions or anything else before you slow cook like a crock pot or pressure cook. You can slow cook and then use the pressure cooker mode to finish it off, if it isn’t tender enough. So many uses it is always on my counter. So easy to clean too. I need to get rid of the old crock pot.  :P

rodge827

« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2020, 12:16 am »
The kids got us one last Christmas. At first my wife thought meh but after making a couple of roasts she loves it! Her braised short ribs are exceptionally delicious with it. Well worth it!!

ctviggen

« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2020, 12:34 am »
We use ours all the time, e.g., for making stock, making tender meat, cooking things in half the time, etc. This one is on sale for Cyber Monday:

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Duo-Evo-Plus/dp/B07WL1XBBD/ref=as_li_ss_tl?tag=5fc2b66568f66e00061cced6-20&linkCode=ll1

Way more complex than the one we have, but a reasonable price.

wushuliu

« Reply #10 on: 30 Nov 2020, 01:22 am »
Makes easiest to peel hard boiled eggs every time.

sebrof

« Reply #11 on: 1 Dec 2020, 01:24 am »
Makes easiest to peel hard boiled eggs every time.
This sounds funny but it's true. I don't know why, but the shells just peel off...amazing.
My wife uses it a lot, she and her sis in law trade recipes all the time. There's a youtube guy names Jeffery (?) his channel is "Press your luck" if you wanna see some recipes (I didn't know that, she just told me that :)

jriggy

« Reply #12 on: 1 Dec 2020, 04:02 am »
We use ours for rice weekly (with anything and everything in it). From thick and sticky to light and fluffy  :thumb:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #13 on: 1 Dec 2020, 05:56 am »
Received one as a Christmas present last year and used it about 4 times.  I get much more use out of my 12” frying pan and crock pot.  The Instant Pot stares at me from the closet, mocking me.

otto802

« Reply #14 on: 21 Dec 2020, 04:05 am »
We use ours to make bone broth weekly, then we make soup in it that you would swear had been cooking for days. We will not be without one from this point forward!

ctviggen

« Reply #15 on: 21 Dec 2020, 03:47 pm »
I've been low carb/keto since 1/1/14, and we use the instant pot all the time. My wife makes "chocolate pudding", which I think tastes great, using eggs from a Maria Emmerich recipe.  Hard boiled eggs are great in the instant pot.  Maria Emmerich also has an eggnog recipe that uses eggs.  It's great too.

Meats, soups, stock (aka "bone broth"), etc., are all much faster in an instant pot.

Having said that, we still braise tough cuts of meat in the oven, though the instant pot could be used too.  Sometimes, it's easier to put something in the oven for a few hours, if you're doing something else.