What makes the bolder sb3 so good ?

8tc

What makes the bolder sb3 so good ?
« on: 4 Apr 2008, 10:14 am »
Hi

I have been eyeing this forum and  what people in the outside world have to say about the  bolder sb3 for a while .

If i read it right   the bolder sb3  is pretty much the best digital out there , owning a stock sb3 with linare ps and have owned the transporter   i can imagin why .

Havever what is it thise  mods exactly do that makes it so good ?  is it the simplicity of the sb3 design itsself ? is it the massic PS , is it the black gates?

Reasonly  i read about  a guy who compared the 20.000 EURO linn klimax ds   with a stock tp and the transporter wassent fare behind.

Why cant  Linn the number 1 source company in the world with 3 years in the making with  unlimited founds in a uncompromiesd design and chasing  and   super dacs  not make a source that blows the transporter away like the bolder sb3 crowed   claim the sb3 dos compared to the TP ?.

Is its just  bolder hype ?.

Please barr with me im just trying to make sence of it.

regards

mcgsxr

Re: What makes the bolder sb3 so good ?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2008, 12:12 pm »
Bolder hype would likely not be the best phrase - there are lots of firms in the world who speak highly of their own gear, but over the years of following Bolder, and other AC manufacturers/members, I would that Wayne is a very modest guy - it is his clients that could (myself included) be guilty of praising his work - then again, I just like the sound of what I have bought, and I notice that a broad number of others who have heard my Bolder kit have ponied up too.

Having owned a stock SB3, with stock PS, what did it for me was the increase in "reality".  Detailed but not sharp, tight but complete bass etc.

It could be the simplification of the circuit in the SB3.  It could be the higher quality components in the chain.  It could be the stability of the PS.

Honestly, I have no idea, but my system source remains the Bolder modded SB3, and after 2 years I know that Wayne's mods have progressed, but I am still very happy with the investment I made - and that is what matters to me.

I cannot speak to "the best digital out there", as I have never heard 80%+ of the other highly respected work.  Nor can I comment on Linn being the #1 source company in the world, or where you would have gathered that.

Never heard a Transporter, but lots of folks happy with those too.

Try one!

8tc

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2008, 12:32 pm »
My post was not to questian  wayns  work or the people that loves  its sound.

Im just of that oppinion that ther is alwasy a technical reason why somthing is better then somthing else , and that was what i was asking.

I have great experince with mods having owen  a fully modded tact millennium from mauimods mede an  absolutly a beleiver  of mods.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2008, 01:21 pm »
I think it's a combination of what's listed above - coupled with Wayne actually doing a LOT of listening to the products until he gets what he wants from it.  I know when he starts a project, he tries various combinations of things, any of which may improve the sound to a point.  It's getting the right combination of things to work together to yield the desired sound that's the trick. 

I have a fully modded SB3 and full blown power supply.  It's not cheap, but I haven't heard anything in my system or other systems that I know pretty well that will do what this combo will do for < $10k

Bryan