Foil Inductor on network

cjsailer

Foil Inductor on network
« on: 8 Jul 2021, 12:09 am »
So I'm looking at all the parts for the NX Otica kit and I just realized I have no idea how to connect a foil inductor to a network.  I looked at some NX Otica build threads and the pictures of the networks aren't detailed enough to see how the actual connection is made.

Argoncat

Re: Foil Inductor on network
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2021, 12:14 am »
Cheytak.408 told me the following:

"The easy way to solder a foil inductor to wiring is the fold the end of the foil in the corners so that they fold over the wire and form a triangle with the wire in the middle of the triangle with the foil slightly overlapping the wire.  This makes soldering easy."

Hope this helps.

N

speshal

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2021, 12:46 am »
Argoncat described it perfectly, but here's a pic if it helps.

cjsailer

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2021, 12:50 am »
Thanks guys, this helps.

Rock Ball

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2021, 03:30 pm »
I was worried about damage to the foil so I added some strain relief.  The wire was solid core so it wasn't flexible.  I placed flux in the fold of the copper and placed the wire in the fold.  Next, I folded the copper foil to form a triangle, and crimped the copper around the wire with pliers.  It soldered really well.  I used two layers of heat shrink to cover the connection.

EDIT:  The zip tie was temporary while I soldered the wires to the inductor.  I replaced it when I mounted the inductor onto my crossover board.
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2021, 06:26 pm by Rock Ball »

Rock Ball

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jul 2021, 04:48 pm »
Here are more detailed photos of how I connected the crossover wire to my copper foil inductor.

I added a slight bit of flux on the wire and foil.

I pressed the foil around the wire.

I folded the foil over.

I crimped foil against wire.

I soldered the end, making sure that enough solder flowed into the connection.

I hope this helps.

hawkeyejw

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2021, 05:15 pm »
Rock that’s a great tutorial, will be helpful for me when I get my NX-Studio kit!

cjsailer

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2021, 05:37 pm »
Rock that’s a great tutorial, will be helpful for me when I get my NX-Studio kit!

Agreed thanks for taking the time to do so rock ball.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2021, 06:06 pm »
That's a really helpful set of images!

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #9 on: 9 Aug 2021, 09:10 pm »
Valuable information for soldering / Foil Inductors :thumb:

I will definitely use the tips for building my NX STUDIO'S. I just finished the crossover boards. Waiting on the rest of my crossover parts to ship, then I'll start laying out and soldering all the components, then drill the crossover boards (below) and start attaching all the electronics.

« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2021, 11:32 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

Tccaux

« Reply #10 on: 18 Oct 2021, 07:45 pm »
Thanks Rock!

zenfishbike

« Reply #11 on: 19 Oct 2021, 01:37 am »

Tccaux

« Reply #12 on: 22 Oct 2021, 12:27 pm »
How are folks handling the foil if attaching as a shunt to a run of wire?  Thanks!

Tccaux

« Reply #13 on: 22 Oct 2021, 03:45 pm »
Maybe I'm using the wrong wording... I believe I'm suppose to tie-in the foil to the wire run rather than cut the wire and put the foil between the cut wire. It looks simple enough to do, I just can't figure how I'm suppose to solder and cover the connection with tube shrink..?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 22 Oct 2021, 04:04 pm »
Correct, do not cut the wire. Wrap the foil around the wire.

mkrawcz

« Reply #15 on: 22 Oct 2021, 04:04 pm »
Maybe I'm using the wrong wording... I believe I'm suppose to tie-in the foil to the wire run rather than cut the wire and put the foil between the cut wire. It looks simple enough to do, I just can't figure how I'm suppose to solder and cover the connection with tube shrink..?
My opinion is that heat shrink tubing does absolutely nothing to prevent oxidation as it’s not really air right. Just make sure you get all the wire tinned with soldier all the way to the sheathing.