Question about X-Statik.. AV123 Cabinets.

Shives

• I like French fries
Question about X-Statik.. AV123 Cabinets.
« on: 15 Jun 2021, 03:15 am »
Ok, looking at the AV123 cabinets in black.. I see Tork head screws on the front baffle!? Does the front baffle come off without to much trouble??

Be nice for refinishing the baffle. Maybe changing the grill style. But, easy access for upgrades, and No res!?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Question about X-Statik.. AV123 Cabinets.
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2021, 04:09 am »
You're a lot more likely to damage the baffle as It's also glued in place. The bolts are just there for added strength.

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2021, 06:17 pm »
Hobbs beat me to it.  Front is glued and its risky if you don't want to damage the finish cosmetically.  If I was going to try to open that lower sealed cabinet I would be tempted to cut an access door on rear of cabinet.  Even that isn't as easy as it sounds but that would be my approach.  I would likely make a pattern/jig to guide a plunge-cutting blade to give me clean straight cuts. Cut the opening, then secure a secondary and overlapping rear support around inside perimeter of that opening.  When I reattach the cutout cover it would secure to that inside perimeter overlap, probably with a very thin piece of rubber strip to ensure proper seal.
Good luck if you decide to go that route.  I'm certain it's well within your capacity, it just needs a well thought out plan.  No doubt someone else will add-in with an even better idea, but point being it can be done.

Elon 

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2021, 06:23 pm »
I would build new cabinets before trying to cut open an old AV123 cabinet.  They’re pretty solid and well braced.

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2021, 08:02 pm »
Cutting access hole in bottom of cabinet would prevent any conflict with bracing. The current design is all horizontal bracing and I think the av123 was also.  Did you find a set of x-statics that you purchased or are you still looking?   Shives, I wish you were closer geographically.   If you were, I'd be tempted to donate some time and cut you some new front baffles, kind of like a housewarming gift to get this thing started for you. 

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2021, 10:56 pm »
Thanks all!!

I’m still looking over all options. And playing the waiting game. I found a set, but would want to re-do them. The Voce is nice.

I also just found some X-ls as well, and some XL-LS. Was hoping to get the books to redo don’t know if they would match with X-statik maybe.

E-zee you rock man! I wish I was closer. I really do! So, using Uship to get the speaker home. So, if anyone knows of any, let me know!
Yes! That idea would rock!  FYI! You know what I’m sayin.
I deeply thank you all! Again very helpful and kind!

The temptation is there to just buy the parts and such.. but the wood portion, not having anything setup currently is the hurt. So, be a lot easier for me to find some and build on those, or who knows. Right now I’m just saving for the right set!

I don’t think Danny has any Voces left, tho I knew he had a bunch.

I’ll update you all, and of course soon as I set my hands on some, my order will be going in for the upgrades, no res, and m-130 woofer. (May just give up on those, take apart and sell the nice parts. Copper foil coils and such.. we will see what I can buy)

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2021, 01:37 pm »
You know.... We should setup like some sort of Audio retreat... lol. I’m serious.

Someone pick a spot... we all fly down and talk audio, build some speakers/systems and more!? Like a work shop we all attend to talk audio, listen to music... Well... if we all gather and turn on music our phones may start ringing off the hooks. Ha ha ha (some of you will get that joke) So we will turn those off! But other wise..

Maybe this is a dumb sounding idea.. yup it would take some money on folks behalf.. but heck.. get together build Danny’s products.. combine all of our brains? Maybe talk new stuff, old stuff.. just stuff. Come up with killer ideas....

Take over the Audio world!

With Danny and the rest of us.. Why does that sound so tempting. Ha! Like a good dream!
Just think, we could crush the competition. Ha ha ha...
 But no at the very least it would be a great time to gather up with you guys, and have some fun! Just saying

Again thank you all for reaching out, helping and adding information.

AC is the best forums I’ve been apart of for help, actual knowledge and more.

Cheers to you all!

Last second addition... thought... We could always go an raid Danny’s! Finish his listening room!

Barryg443

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jun 2021, 04:22 pm »
i am in a group that are Carver enthusiasts, called Carverfest. Most years Bob Carver comes, its a lot of fun and playing with each others gear! it would be fun to have a similar thing for GR-Research fans.  Bob also likes open Baffle; over in the Spatial Audio Circle is a photo of Bob Carver listening to Spatial Audio M3 speakers at Carverfest.  My avatar is a tube amplifier I built at Carverfest 2018.

You know.... We should setup like some sort of Audio retreat... lol. I’m serious.

Someone pick a spot... we all fly down and talk audio, build some speakers/systems and more!? Like a work shop we all attend to talk audio, listen to music... Well... if we all gather and turn on music our phones may start ringing off the hooks. Ha ha ha (some of you will get that joke) So we will turn those off! But other wise..

Maybe this is a dumb sounding idea.. yup it would take some money on folks behalf.. but heck.. get together build Danny’s products.. combine all of our brains? Maybe talk new stuff, old stuff.. just stuff. Come up with killer ideas....

Take over the Audio world!

i am in a group that are Carver enthusiasts, called Carverfest. Most years Bob Carver comes, its a lot of fun and playing with each others gear! it would be fun to have a similar thing for GR-Research fans.  Bob also likes open Baffle; over in the Spatial Audio Circle is a photo of Bob Carver listening to Spatial Audio M3 speakers at Carverfest.  My avatar is a tube amplifier I built at Carverfest 2018.

With Danny and the rest of us.. Why does that sound so tempting. Ha! Like a good dream!
Just think, we could crush the competition. Ha ha ha...
 But no at the very least it would be a great time to gather up with you guys, and have some fun! Just saying

Again thank you all for reaching out, helping and adding information.

AC is the best forums I’ve been apart of for help, actual knowledge and more.

Cheers to you all!

Last second addition... thought... We could always go an raid Danny’s! Finish his listening room!

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun 2021, 05:07 pm »

Yes!! Exactly!!

I know you have “Audio shows” and whatnot. But that’s exactly what I really don’t want. It would be nice to meet folks here.. and well.. live some audio for a few days. I know it’s a lot.. or maybe a little. But, I’m dead sure that we have the skill set to finish Danny’s Room. So many good carpenters here, I’m sure electrical guys, which I can do as well. I’m good with taping and dry wall. Learned that from a local woman with her own business.. helping her. Anyways.. Do some building on that, then maybe get together on this party speaker?! Or, if someone had a build needing to be done.. do that.. share ideas. Keep in mind what you build your on your own to get home... But between all of us, it can be done! Uship is an awesome way to get things across country!

So, something to think about!?

I would very much so be up for building an amp to go with Danny’s products! Source parts before hand and get them, then build. I don’t know.. just random thoughts I guess

Anyways.. sorry to interrupt.