Technics dust cover dampening

jostber

Technics dust cover dampening
« on: 22 Jan 2016, 12:00 am »
I have seen some recommend removing the dust cover of the Technics SL-1200 turntable dust cover since it  might resonate when playing, but I will not remove it. Is there some way to dampen it in a discrete way that works?

« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2016, 04:43 am by jostber »

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Technics dust cover dampening
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2016, 01:06 am »
Try a couple of small-diameter grungebuster Dots or Extra-Thick grungebuster Dots on the turntable, so the cover will contact the Dots when closed.

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/gb.htm

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2016, 03:34 am »
Hi Jostber, As a house painter I sometimes have jobs of converting wood stained kitchen cabinets to being painted. On every opening door or drawer I put on these little felt bumpers that every hardware store carries. They go on the 2 corners of the inside door and are self adhesive. They dampen the door sound shutting and prevent paint from being chipped off.
    I tried these bumpers on an old AR-XA and a Technics SL-20 and they work great. I'm sure Herbies devices are better but while your waiting it might be a fun 3.99 project while you wait. You get 75 of these little felt adhesive round dots so if you lose one? They leave no sticky residue either and they come in a dark color to sort of act un-noticed in the dust cover.
   There are probably a large group that don't want you to play a record with the turntables dust cover on in the belief that why dampen something that does not have to be there. But I say when you the brightest sun coming thru your window some day look at all that dust flying around. You'll wonder why you made such an effort to clean your record....take care...Mark Korda

jostber

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2016, 03:46 am »
Thanks, Mark. I will try out you tip here for the dust cover while I wait for the grungebuster dots. Have already used that for some doors in the house to make them close without slamming. I like the dust cover on the Technics just because of the reason you said, it keeps the dust out. :)