Iso Balls

Flyin_V

Iso Balls
« on: 19 Jun 2015, 07:24 am »
Hi Steve,

I've got a Project RPM 5.1 turntable that sits on a 1.25" thick Ikea bamboo cutting board. Would 3 Iso balls be better than 3 tall tenderfeet to replace the stock feet? Or maybe spikes with a cone/spike decoupler? Eventually I'll use a sandbox with 4 Medicinballs. There are some foot fall issues.

I placed 3 of the small tenderfooters between the chassis plate and wooden base of my Bottlehead Stereomour amp and there was quite an improvement. Would cutting a thick grungebuster sheet into strips and using them as gaskets between the chassis and base work almost as well?

Thanks.

Lary
« Last Edit: 3 Jul 2015, 06:40 am by Flyin_V »

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Iso Balls
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2015, 05:05 pm »
Either IsoBalls or Big Tall Tenderfoot isolation feet should do very well. We have lots of customers using both under Pro-Ject turntables, with each option giving excellent results.

Extra-Thick grungebuster sheet material should do very well as an isolation/decoupling interface between chassis and base. If using grungebuster Dots or sheet material between chassis and base, you would want to use Tenderfeet between base and shelf, or vice-versa. (Four Tenderfeet will usually give an audibly better result than three.)

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

jamesg11

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2015, 05:39 am »
Yep, I put 4x Tenderfeet under a venerable old Strathclyde - no footfall issues & significant addition to the SQ. Heaviest component I have is the PSU to my power amp, ~20odd kg; that's where 5x isoballs went & 4 more tenderfeet under the 'lighter' power amp.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2015, 06:30 am »
Are you sure that 5x isoballs is enough for the PSU? I bet 8x would be the cat's meow. :D

jamesg11

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jul 2015, 02:33 am »
Yeh, seems like overkill on surface, but Steve has said more than once that 5 work better & I just stuck them under the power amp psu cos it's the heaviest (... & got a bunch of capacitors in there, all up ~400k microfarads of energy storage for power amp; 50W class A).

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #5 on: 2 Jul 2015, 04:02 am »
Four should be plenty sufficient, though five has potential to sometimes be additionally beneficial.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

Flyin_V

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jul 2015, 06:53 am »
Had the turntable up and running for a few days now. The Herbie treatment has made quite an improvement. The table is supported by 3 Iso balls on a bamboo cutting board held up by 4 Medicinballs in a sandbox. The most impressive improvement is with foot falls. Not only are they gone, but I can now stand next to the table while playing and bounce on the floor. The table moves laterally but never mis tracks. Very well done.  Of course, it's finished off with a 2mm record mat.

Thanks for great products at affordable prices.

Lary