What CDP's are used as a Transport and with what results?

ABEX

I have heard that the following player's work well:
Sony 7700
Sony 9900
Pioneer's DV-565
Marantz #?

I own an old Phillips CD-80 which I am trying to mod. now for use as a Transport.

What other players will work well with the MENSA ART DIO?

TIA

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2003, 02:10 pm »
My Sony DVP-S7700 modded by Dan Wright (with bybees) sounds awesome.

It does not always synch when you put in a CD.  It synchs about 2/3rds of the time.

What that means is you might have to turn it on or off again (s7700) to get the DIO to synch with it.  Worst case is you have to unplug, then replug the DIO.  That synchs it everytime.

Once a CD synchs, it won't unsynch unless the drawer is opened or the unit shut off.

I have heard that the 9000 has problems reading some CDR's, but my 7700 has read all that I have tried so far.

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2003, 02:10 pm »
I use a modded CAL Delta.

I have also used the SONY XA-777ES, which works very well.

I have also used the SONY DVP-NS500V. While it does work with the DI/O, the CAL Delta sounds MUCH better.

Jay S

« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2003, 02:44 pm »
I use a Cary 303/100 as a transport for my Mensa DI/O.  I haven't tried anything else with it, though I do have a Toshiba 2109 dvd player.  I used to have a PT P3a dac, and I tried using the Tosh, a NAD 512 cd player and a Sony 9000es as transports.  The Sony sounded best.  Comparing the Tosh vs the NAD, I think the soundstage shrank in half with the Tosh!  Transport quality makes a significant difference.  Try using a Monarchy DIP if your transport isn't very good.  A friend uses a basic DIP (not the 24/96 model) to good effect.   Or, try getting a PT P1a used -- it helps reduce jitter, upsamples to boot, and is not very expensive (much less than list).

ABEX

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2003, 06:49 pm »
Marbles,you wrote:
It does not always synch when you put in a CD. It synchs about 2/3rds of the time.

My Phillips CD-80 does the same thing!

Ron S

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2003, 11:12 pm »

Wayne, which DAC are you using with the 777ES as only a transport? And the sound is superior to that of the 777 alone? From all I've read (haven't been able to audition one :( ) the 777ES is supposed to be a reference quality SACD player, as well as a superior redbook player.

Wayne1

« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2003, 11:55 pm »
Ron,

Jason Wong (PEZ) owns a Sony XA-777ES. The DAM (Denver Audio Mafia) has done quite a few comparisons using Jason's player as a base line.

The smART DI/O sounds better than the redbook playback of the SONY. The MENSA DI/O is even better. The MENSA DI/O with the dampening mod is better still :D

Here are Jason's comments from our last listening session:

"The dio has really come a long way in the capable hands of Wayne. I could not believe how much better it sounded than the 777 cd output. Just a natural unveiled performance the whole way around. Wayne came by today to pick it up and I thought "eh i won't hear much of a difference now that the 777 and the Mensa are not side by side" I turned on some tunes after the mensa and the digital EQ were taken out of my system and felt really really depressed.  The difference was not small. Vocals that were full and recessed in the soundstage now sounded recessed and empty. Damn now I need both pieces.  "

At one point we did compare the sound of the SONY as a transport to my modified CAL Delta. Tyson and I felt the CAL Delta to sound smoother than the SONY.

Jason wants a rematch :bawl:

I haven't heard too many SACD players. I have heard the Philips SA-1000 (fully broken in and slightly modded) in direct comparison. I thought the SONY to be the better sounding unit.

mgalusha

« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2003, 03:50 am »
I'm using a Marantz CD-67 SE as a transport with a DI/O and it's rock solid and sounds quite good. I have an LCAudio LClock II in the Marantz along with some power supply mods.

I did have a CAL Delta for a transport and in my system the Marantz sounded better. I have not had a chance to compare it against the modded Delta that Wayne has. I have compared it to a Parasound CDP-1000 and the Parasound has been relegated to my shop... :)

Mike

Jay S

« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2003, 04:02 am »
A better clock seems like a great upgrade to me -- if/when I do get a universal player I hope that I can put a clock in it.  I say "hope" since I have heard that it is very difficult to put a new clock in the Pioneer universal players.  

I wonder if Wayne's new lacquer treatment would also help if applied to key chips on the transport.

ABEX

« Reply #9 on: 21 Feb 2003, 06:17 pm »
Thx for the opinion's.Will keep the list and audition.

duff138

« Reply #10 on: 22 Feb 2003, 02:12 am »
Quote from: Ron S

Wayne, which DAC are you using with the 777ES as only a transport? And the sound is superior to that of the 777 alone? From all I've read (haven't been able to audition one :( ) the 777ES is supposed to be a reference quality SACD player, as well as a superior redbook player.

Ron,
   The DAM (Denver Audio Mafia), at least a few members, felt that the CIAudio DAC also bettered the Sony redbook playback.  The ART DI/O bettered the CI Audio though.  You can probably find the discussion on the Harmonic discord site in the old Bolder forum.

Hantra

« Reply #11 on: 27 Feb 2003, 09:34 pm »
I can second the recommendation for the Sony 7700.  Going from a CD-48 to that was like falling through a hole in the Earth.  :lol:  

It made more difference than changing DAC's in my system.  Fantastic piece of gear for $280 used.

Mine has no synch problems.  I wonder if that's a result of the mods?

B

jasonc

« Reply #12 on: 28 Feb 2003, 12:26 am »
The stock Pioneer DV-656a has been a very good transport with the SN Tubedac IMO.   Haven't compared the 656a to others but it's hard to imagine anything being a huge improvement over the Pioneer.  I realize a modified unit would yield better results but for only 520.00 combined for the two units I've found it's given me more than satisfying performance for not a lot of dough.

ABEX

« Reply #13 on: 28 Feb 2003, 05:20 am »
I have asked this question to find out where most people stand.The people I have asked vary as to their experience and results.

Over the weekend I will try to post what comments I have recieved.As in all things audio taste plays an important factor.Ask what someone thinks about what amp is the best for driving a particular speaker and you will recieve 10 different opinions with some of those people contradicting another's veiw. :?

Seeing that one cannot listen to all models I think it is best to narrow the field by listing the components mentioned ,consider what experience people who have answerd have.Reading the post to see if anyone has an altaritive motive to buy a particular piece because it just so happens they sell it,which is not to say that they are correct to assume that it is the best out there.Finally seeing if any comments contradict another's and evaluate what might the reason for the difference.

CDP's & DAC's I would imagine are alittle easier to get a better or more accurate response due to the fact they are pretty close in playback,but not as far apart as say Speaker's & Amps.In those catagories people seem to have peculiar taste that I just cannot phatom someone liking and I am sure the feeling is mutual from the other's person view as to what I like.An example would be I dislike a dark sounding amp like an HK ,but the sweet clear sound of my modified B&K. One man's heaven is another's hell!  :o

In review:
1.Narrow the feild
2.Seperate units as to listening taste
3.Evaluate what you can afford
4.Try to audition unit
5.Try to find used for the lowest $$

Thanks for all the post and the ones I cannot disclose due to the fact I have gotten them off other BB's and through Emails.Will try to compile the list. 8)

davehg

• http://musicserver.blogspot.com
Technics DVD A10
« Reply #14 on: 2 Mar 2003, 07:19 am »
I tried a variety of cheaper players before settling on the Technics. This was the first DVD-A player out in late 2000 and was pretty expensive($1200) originally, but was quickly discounted to as low as $350. I bought mine demo from GoodGuys for about $250. It weighs about 20lbs, has a nice isolated PS and audiophile caps and was reviewed in SPhile.

As a redbook player, it is merely decent, easily bested by a Stock DI/O on redbook (but not DVD-A) and tromped by the MENSA I just got. But it has built in upsampling, and its digital output on Rebook is upsampled prior to output (this is defeatable). It really rocks as a transport!!

You can find them easily on ebay selling for $150-200. Highly recommended and built like a tank. Plus it plays DVD-A's, and is evidentally an awesome DVD video player (even though it lacks progressive scan).

ABEX

« Reply #15 on: 8 Mar 2003, 11:22 pm »
Here are the reply's I have gotten of CDP's and Transports that have been successfully used with the ART DIO!
If there is anything to add please post or anyhting that you dissagree with please post.Thanks
I did not have time to format the reply's,sorry!  :(
===========================================
Sony DVPNS-755 modded by SACDmods.com. Locks every time and SACD sounds great as well. ART sounds better on redbook. Cake and eat it too.

Can't lock the APEX DVD player (forgot which model) completely. Can lock Philips CD850, AMC 8b and Classe' CDP-1.5.

The locking problem seems for most to be more cable dependent than anything else (usually). I'm using Bolder cables (www.boldercables.com) IC between my DI/O and my Linn Majik CDP......I've had zero problems....before you spend the extra money on a new transport, I'd suggest you THOROUGHLY check out the ic option.
PS I am in no way affiliated with Bolder Cable....I just like their products and service
CAL Delta
I would like to upgrade it (HexFRED Ultra-Fast/Soft-Recovery diodes, better PS caps, and bypassed with Solens & Auricaps) it (details so generously given on a board by Bolder Cable) but getting the main PCB out requires removing the transport mechanism. The screws securing the transport mechanism down seem to have some sort varnish/lock-tite on it. I wonder if it is calibrated & removing it will screw everything up.
Anyone got any ideas?
The PCB-mounted digital coaxial output of the CAL Delta also seems cheap, I think Cardas or Vampire makes a nice one.
Marantz CDPs seem to have no problem locking with the ART DIO.
The Harman Kardons have a hard-time syncing with the ART DIO as it does not emit a "pilot signal" in between disc changes or play in sequence (i.e. Random and Program play is disabled).
A friend with a sMart DIO had a shoot-out between his stock Marantz 63SE and my stock CAL Delta. While the Marantz 63SE was louder and more bass heavy, the bass was less defined. Presentation was flatter, and more up-front. The CAL Delta, on the other hand, was more laid back, bass was better defined, mid-range clarity and treble was better layered, more 3D in its presentation, and presentation seemed further back. In the case of the Marantz 63SE, it was if you in a small cafe and the singer is in 5 to 6 feet in front of you. In the case of the CAL Delta, you are sitting in right in the center seat of a large cavernous concert hall, and the singer is 30 feet in front.
Good luck
Tweaker
=========================
CAL Icon Mk II...no problems..using a Monster Cable ($55) for the digital output to the ART...Would like to try something better but have had zero problems with locking.
====================================
Cambridge D300SE, no locking problems. I would like to hear it with a higher end transport. For now, I'm looking into tweaks for my current one. Any suggestions?
You may want to do a search on inmate systems to add to your list.
I saw a posting once (maybe at TNT Audio) that discussed a bunch of suggested tyweaks. I'll recount what I remember (and what I actually did myself).
(1) Isolation - damp inside the chassis with Moretite (Home Depot) or some other compound. Make sure to get on, in and around the transport mechanism itself, including the underside of the drawer. Be sure it still operates correctly before closing up.
(2) Vibration - mount the transport on some kind of isolation unit. DIY Rollerblocks work well for this, but there are plenty of other options. Putting a sand bag or some other heavy object on top over the transport mechanism is also a good idea.
(3) Steel jumpers - there are usually plenty of little steel jumpers on the board. Good idea to replace these with solid copper wire, at least in the power supply section.
(4) Capacitance - you could replace the power supply capacitors with better ones, and possibly bypass them. You could also damp them a bit with some Moretite (around the base where they touch the board).
(5) Diodes and Voltage Regulators - these could be upgraded in the power supply section as well.
(6) Clock crystal - Jon Risch has a good suggestion to damp this important little item with a small sand bag. I used Moretite on and around it.
Enjoy,
Bob
======================================
I'm using a Cal Labe DX2 (slightly modded). No locking problems.
Enjoy,
Bob
My Pioneer DVD changer had big problems with lock .. like every time I either started up the system and tried to play a new CD or when the carousel went to a new disk. A big PITA.
My CEC 5100 has no lock problems, is far quieter than the Pioneer, and seems to synergize well.
My DI/O is heavily modded by me .. with tons of help from the DIOMods Yahoo group.
steve
============================================
Anthem CD-1 no problems
I use a Pioneer dv-525. At first I had plenty of problems locking the digital signal. Lately, I haven't had too many problems. I'm using Belden 1695a for a digital cable with some cheap teflon RCAs.
===============================================
MODWRIGHT’s suggestion
Transport for Smart DAC
I would look into the new Pioneer DV-45 or DV-656 as a cost-effective replacement transport.

Thanks,

Dan W.
==============================================

JasonB

« Reply #16 on: 14 Mar 2003, 02:35 am »
[quote="Sony DVPNS-755 modded by SACDmods.com. Locks every time and SACD sounds great as well. ART sounds better on redbook. Cake and eat it too.

[/quote]

Do you mean to say that your modified ART is better than the modded sony on redbook or that the ART sounds better than SACD when playing redbook?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #17 on: 14 Mar 2003, 02:58 am »
Comparing the SA777ES SACD output to the Mensa Dio, SACD playback just sounds better.  As good as the Mensa is (and it's "very" good), SACD on a very high quality SACD player is just more real sounding.

sasakikojiro

« Reply #18 on: 14 Mar 2003, 04:11 am »
Rega Planet 2000 with a Shigaraki DAC.

Sounds great, but I am now considering a CEC or Shigaraki transport.

sjd

« Reply #19 on: 14 Mar 2003, 05:00 am »
Hmmm...  I had the CD-67SE, and for my money, my Sony DVP-S7000 absolutely blew it away as a transport into my smART.  I may need to get the mensa upgrade, but I don't run the smART right now, owing to the fact that I am trying to get max use out of my SACD-1000 before having it modded.  Need to make sure the thing ain't gonna crap out on me first!

For the record, while the SACD-1000 after burn in is a solid redbook performer, it also pales to my 7000/smART combo.  I miss it.  :(