Omega Super 3i for nearfield, up-close listening

Greeni

Omega Super 3i for nearfield, up-close listening
« on: 28 Nov 2019, 07:42 am »
I am looking for a pair of suitable loudspeakers for nearfield listening.
The front to back wall in the listening room is only 6.5 feet.
So, it is an up-close listening position.
Therefore, I am leaning towards the Super 3i, the smallest Omega speakers.
Appreciate some advice on whether the Super 3i will be suitable for this purpose.

jMelvin

Re: Omega Super 3i for nearfield, up-close listening
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2019, 12:26 am »
Welcome Greeni. I can't imagine why not to be honest. I've seen more than a few photos of Super 3i's in smaller rooms and even sitting on desktops. I suggest giving Louis a call. He is quite accessible and wonderful to speak with. He won't try to over-sell you either, in fact, just the opposite. I've had my Super 3i's for 3 years now and still love them .. fantastic speakers.

FireGuy

« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2019, 02:00 am »
Hello Greeni.  Here's a nice review from Digital Trends.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/speaker-reviews/omega-speaker-systems-super-3t-review/

I've owned Louis' Super 5 monitors now for about three and half years and every day thoroughly enjoy their revealing,  organic and pristine sound.  The RS5 driver is gorgeously transparent.

IMO you won't find a better desk top solution.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2019, 04:16 pm »
Yes, for sure... 3i is one of the best values out there too!  :thumb:

effluviography

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2019, 08:49 pm »
I have 3i's and used them in a nearfield desktop set up for years. They work well in that configuration. My room has similar size limitations to yours. You shouldn't worry, they sound great. I used them with a Decware Mini-torii tube amp. I recently replaced them with a custom-sized Omega Alnico speaker. Love the alnico now.

The 3i's are a great value, look lovely and most importantly sound great in nearfield or any other situation. Hope this helps.

Greeni

« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2019, 10:05 am »
Thank you, guys, for the replies.
Effluviography, the "custom-sized" Omega Alnico speaker was not the standard ones being sold over Omega's website?
Would you like to share more information about these speakers?

effluviography

« Reply #6 on: 10 Dec 2019, 05:13 pm »
Sure, I wanted CAM's but for my setup, they were too big. The size of my custom alnico speakers are a mix of the 3i and Super 7 dimensions. 9" wide like the Super 7 but 11" deep and 14" tall like the 3i. They fit a tight desktop setup. I've now re-arranged things and have a bit more room, but do not regret getting this smaller size.

They sound wonderful and take up only a little more space than the 3i. Louis is always open to working with you if one of his standard products will not work for one reason or another. It's one of the great things about Omega Speakers - the man behind the curtain.