Super 7 Possibility?

cjsailer

Re: Super 7 Possibility?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2021, 06:01 pm »
From what I've read on this forum, this particular driver does not reach low enough to meet the servo sub. So you'd have an audible dip somewhere in the 150-200 HZ range.  That's a compromise most on here would not make.

AKLegal

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2021, 09:35 pm »
Yeah, there is a thread on these somewhere in this forum. IIRC they didn't test well.

The Super 7 only needs 4 BG Neo 10s per channel. Maybe a Super 9 (six GRS 10s) or Super 11 (eight GRS 10s) configuration could get these to reach down low enough to meet the servo subs. Of course that would probably introduce other problems to solve.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2021, 10:55 pm by AKLegal »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2021, 09:45 pm »
From what I've read on this forum, this particular driver does not reach low enough to meet the servo sub. So you'd have an audible dip somewhere in the 150-200 HZ range.  That's a compromise most on here would not make.
Looking at its frequency response graph, it would reach to about 180... ought to work if the measurements are accurate.

cjsailer

« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2021, 11:05 pm »
Looking at its frequency response graph, it would reach to about 180... ought to work if the measurements are accurate.
If we are looking at the same graph, I see a 5-6db loss @ 180 HZ from the manufacture's stated 200 HZ lower limit for this driver.  Is that the end of the world, probably not.  But these are their numbers and measured in a controlled environment.  In a typical room you'd probably be dealing with a bigger dip.

I can't remember exactly how high the servos can go up to, but you are probably looking at modifications to the crossover to deal with this.  Probably a better idea to let the servo sub to play higher than to get that driver to play lower (if it even can).

I was mentally going down the same path as the OP here, thinking I could build a Super 7 or line source with this driver as a replacement to the Bohlender Graebener version.  Everything I've read on this forum suggests you probably wouldn't be happy with the results.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2021, 11:10 pm »
The super 7 does have a wider baffle, which should allow them to play a little lower than they do in the Super Mini baffle, but without proper testing, it's hard to say for certain.

Here's the thread you're looking for, the GRS-10 measurements start on page 4:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=172523.msg1825523#msg1825523

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2021, 01:14 am »
If we are looking at the same graph, I see a 5-6db loss @ 180 HZ from the manufacture's stated 200 HZ lower limit for this driver.
But you're dealing with more than one, so you can bring the top down 5 dB in the crossover and keep it flat.  But like I said, this is only if the manufacturers graphs are accurate... often not the case.

david45

« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2021, 02:53 am »
From what I was told, the 2 main problems with the GRS driver is that it is not quite identical to the BG version in terms of physical dimensions and may not be available for long.
As for bass response/extension when using 4 or 6 of them say for the Line Force, it shouldn’t be a problem as long as changes to the crossover are implemented.

Maybe Danny would like to chime in?

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2021, 05:51 pm »
Neither the   Super 7 nor the  Super LS (Line Force) arehighpassed, the  Neo 10's roll off naturally unless one implements an inline filter prior to the main amplifier(s).

The   GRS Neo 10 will fit  in  the Super 7's baffle, it needs  2  of the mounting screw holes re-located however... not a huge deal.

We do have a   couople customers  waiting on Super 7 kits,  will hopefully be cutting   a sheet of    baffles soon .  IIRC, both these   guys are using   the original Neo 10's

With regards to what   was mentioned above about using additional   "Neo 10's",  it's not likely to get you  much deeper with regards to frequency,   each pair you add is going to  spread the acoustic centers apart,  and   the tweeter height is going to get  out of hand   so not really  an option.

jay