Post CES Cabinet Discussion?

mlschifter

• http://www.av123.com
« Reply #20 on: 19 Feb 2004, 05:08 am »
Quote from: UTLaw
Since we have the cabinet man himself here....   :wink:

From a business perspective we can assume  it may not be wise to fill our heads with wonderful/specific images of VMPS speakers with your cabinets at this time - it would likely hurt Big B in moving his current cabinet inventory out the door while everyone waited for your beauties...

So lets talk in generalities...  :D

When you say "wait till you see what's coming" are you referring to new wood choices, cabinet designs, etc?

Thanks for your post...

It would be not too wise to post for another manufacturer...  :nono:

The various models and samples I'm building over here are enough for ME to ask Big B. for a set myself... Our shop guys are really excited about these also... They asked for a set for the "in-house restaurant" we've built for our crew on our grounds... We have dorms for 182 workers and their families... and we built a really nice kitchen and ajoining Karaoke Room for them... They think Rockets are too *da*& small for their system...  :D

I can tell you that we've offered 6 different finishes to VMPS... but in the end... this will all be up to them... I'm just glad to be a part of this team also...

All the best...

mls

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #21 on: 19 Feb 2004, 05:30 am »
Please, Big B., howzabout Rosewood or Rose Mahoggany? :inlove:  :hyper:

UTLaw

• http://www.utexas.edu/law
« Reply #22 on: 19 Feb 2004, 04:51 pm »
6 finishes?  Your speaker lines don't even come in that many finishes...  :o

Maple, rosewood, ebony, piano.... So what are you adding to the mix?   :?:

On a side note - I'm currently taking a human rights law course, and we've spent the week on China.  That's not a prison camp you've built over there is it?   :lol:  :lol:    :wink:  :wink:

Keep up the great work!

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
rm40
« Reply #23 on: 19 Feb 2004, 04:53 pm »
MLS informs us he is shipping samples of the Rosewood RM 40 end of this month.

We are also making a version of the RM 40 piano black available now, made by Dorne Dibble in Oakland CA USA, with the same black lacquer finish as the RM/X.  He also added 4 heavy window braces to the inside of the box and is using 1 3/4" front and back baffles.  This is what happens when you tell people "Do it your way!"  Upcharge is $400pr, piano black finish only.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #24 on: 19 Feb 2004, 05:18 pm »
Brian,

Where are the braces located?

GW

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
rm40
« Reply #25 on: 19 Feb 2004, 06:05 pm »
The braces are spaced evenly inside the cabinet.  I can see where this is going.  DIYer's and others could add the braces to existing cabinets.  I'll see what Dorne charges for them.

warnerwh

« Reply #26 on: 19 Feb 2004, 09:53 pm »
I'm not sure what bracing comes in the 40's presently. I'd suspect some window bracing would already be in there. A good and easy way to add bracing is to use some large dowels for cross bracing. They need to fit tightly. Dowels from Home Depot for closets will work fine.  Round the edges a bit with a belt sander and tap them in, then put plenty of hot glue.  Most people should be able to do this and it should make a very audible improvement.  It did in my Supertower/R SE's.  Major improvement and it already had two window braces.  

You can also get some 1x2 oak pieces and hot glue them to the sides in an X frame or just single pieces glued to the middle of the panel between braces.  These do not need to fit perfectly or be in any exact spot, as a matter of fact mounting them asymmetrically is probably better. As long as the interior volume is very close to the same you should be ok and your drivers will be working much more to make music instead of vibrating the cabinets.  The extra bracing will surprise you.

ekovalsky

Re: rm40
« Reply #27 on: 19 Feb 2004, 10:02 pm »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
MLS informs us he is shipping samples of the Rosewood RM 40 end of this month.

We are also making a version of the RM 40 piano black available now, made by Dorne Dibble in Oakland CA USA, with the same black lacquer finish as the RM/X.  He also added 4 heavy window braces to the inside of the box and is using 1 3/4" front and back baffles.  This is what happens when you tell people "Do it your way!"  Upcharge is $400pr, piano black finish only.

Be prepared for a long wait but beautiful and very solid cabinets.  Dorne's craftsmanship on the RM/X is superb.

UTLaw

« Reply #28 on: 19 Feb 2004, 10:38 pm »
Since we've hit upon the importance of a "solid" cabinet design...

I was just wondering how Mark's cabinets stand up in this regard.  I read a thread on his site outlining the process he uses for building his cabinets (a great read, well worth your time), and his cabinets appear to use a laminating process involving thin layers of MDF.

Mark, will you be using this process for VMPS, and, if so, could you compare laminated MDF with a solid piece?

Much thanks!

wshuff

« Reply #29 on: 20 Feb 2004, 12:27 am »
I'm getting ready to search for that post, but if you get a chance could you maybe post a link for me just in case I can't find it.  Thanks.

Oh, wait, you mean on the AV123 site, right?

UTLaw

« Reply #30 on: 20 Feb 2004, 01:09 am »
Though Mark is going to be supplying amazing cabinets - and that makes him a part of the extended VMPS "family" - I'm always hesitant to post a link to a company's site in another company's forum.   :nono:   :nono:  :nono:

It's a sticky at the top of the loudspeaker forum on his site...

wshuff

« Reply #31 on: 20 Feb 2004, 02:17 am »
Good enough.  That clarifies where I need to look.  Thanks.

John Casler

« Reply #32 on: 22 Feb 2004, 03:58 pm »
Quote from: mlschifter
The various models and samples I'm building over here are enough for ME to ask Big B. for a set myself... Our shop guys are really excited about these also... They asked for a set for the "in-house restaurant" we've built for our crew on our grounds... We have dorms for 182 workers and their families... and we built a really nice kitchen and ajoining Karaoke Room for them... They think Rockets are too *da*& small for their system...  

I can tell you that we've offered 6 different finishes to VMPS... but in the end... this will all be up to them... I'm just glad to be a part of this team also...

Hi Mark,

I'm sure Brian wouldn't mind you and your "guys" appropriating a pair or two and listening to VMPS over there.  

I wonder if there are any VMPS ribbons in PRC??? (Hong Kong maybe)

I can only imagine your "shop guys" standing next to the VMPS monoliths and singing a grand Beatles medley.  You have to take a picture of that.

And let me assure you we all are glad you're "part of the VMPS team" also.