Mark Shifter and VMPS

Andrikos

Mark Shifter and VMPS
« Reply #20 on: 4 Nov 2003, 10:01 pm »
Chris,
it was exactly this reasoning that led me to want to buy the 626R kit instead of the finish product. I spotted out some beautiful bird's eye maple plywood sheets that looked just fantastic. This addition to "saving" some money going DIY, was a no brainer for me. Of course, if you figure in your opportunity cost (free time) the 626R's will probably end up costing on par with the RM40's! :)
However, DIY is a hobby and not a job...

EMC

Mark Shifter and VMPS
« Reply #21 on: 5 Nov 2003, 02:56 pm »
Is it a done deal that the 626R and LRC won't get the same treatment?

Brian?

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #22 on: 5 Nov 2003, 03:47 pm »
I have a large stock of 626 and LRC in four finishes, but I've asked Mark to make rosewood and piano black lacquer samples matching the RM 40's.  I may well invest in some overstock just to have Mark's finishes on hand.

Andrikos

Mark Shifter and VMPS
« Reply #23 on: 5 Nov 2003, 04:43 pm »
Ooh, that sounds good!
Any bird's eye maple in the works?

Alex Prosak

Mark Shifter and VMPS
« Reply #24 on: 5 Nov 2003, 08:35 pm »
As for the collaboration between Brian and Mark, I have been reading posts that pretty much say:

"A match made in Heaven!! VMPS sonics with AV123 cabinetry!! Wow, I can't wait!!"

The implication is that Rocket speakers are "all show and no go", and VMPS is just the opposite. I even read one post on AV123 where someone had never heard of VMPS, and wanted information. The responder stated (and I paraphrase):

"Great sounding speakers, but not very visually attractive".

Well, I have finally gotten to hear (and see) a Rocket system anchored by 750 mains. My take?

Well, first off, the AV123 speakers I heard sound better than people want to give them credit for. While I understand why people are more enamored of their HT performance, 2-channel capability was very high.

And VMPS cabinetry (at least on my "Cherry Flambe" RM40s) are better than people want to give them credit for. Again, prior to my ordering RM40s, I had auditioned mega-buck speakers by B&W, Thiel, Gershman Acoustics, Sonus Faber, Eggleston Works, and Vandersteen. Only the Sonus Faber were noticiably more attractive than the RM40s in my listening room.

Don't get me wrong, the Rocket 750s are very attractive - particularly at their price point. And I freely admit I have never seen any VMPS speakers other than my own. Possibly I just got lucky.

So while both companies will benefit from this joint venture, I'm skeptical of the extent. If you think that Mark is some "babe in the woods" needing the guiding hand of Brian, I think you underestimate Mark's talent. He seems to be pretty knowledgeable as it is. However, those who envision the cabinetry of RM40s being hacked out by some Jethro Bodine character are equally uninformed. I truly doubt that the RM40s will suddenly appeal to some new audience who currently hate their looks, but are just waiting to be mesmerized by the cabinetry wizadry of AV123.

Granted, I have seen exactly "one" system by each company, which hardly makes me an expert.

Kevin

Kevin,

I recognize that quote, that would be me you paraphrased.  I feel I should qualify, or in this case possibly disqualify, my statement.  First off I have never listened to any pair of VMPS speakers nor seen them in person.  As far as the sounds great, that's the impression I've gotten from many users on a number of forums whose impressions I've come to trust.  My looks comment is based on seeing what is shown on their website and seeing photos of peoples personal systems.  I know it's all subjective but from the photos I've seen I've never been impressed with their looks, they definitely wouldn't pass my WAF.  Maybe I've just seen photos of kit systems, I don't know, but to me they all looked like DIY finished speakers.  I don't mean to offend anyone, this is just IMVHO.  

I do own a Rocket package and I think they both sound and look fantastic.  IMHO, for the price there isn't a better looking or finished speaker on the market.  Not many better sounding for the price either.

I do think the partnership is a good "marriage" and with any luck VMPS will be selling more speakers because more of us will be able to get the WAF.  As sad as it is, it can unfortunately be a large determinant for some of us.  It certainly won't be any sort of gangbusters increase.  I also think that Mark doing this shows he's just a good, solid person, concerned about others, and doing what he can to enhance the industry as the RM40 is certainly direct competition for his forthcoming Strata line of speakers.  I'm sure any number of larger speaker manufacturers wouldn't do this for a competitor.

Your definitely correct in that Mark is no "babe in the woods" (LOL - good one) who needs any hand holding.  He has proven many times over that he developes excellent gear and he has a definite vision of where he wants to take his company.

Alex

meilankev

Mark Shifter and VMPS
« Reply #25 on: 6 Nov 2003, 02:35 am »
Alex,

I appreciate your coming to post here - welcome to AudioCircle (not that I'm some kind of old-timer).  I also appreciate the "tone" of your post, as you showed the ability to get you point across without being needlessly confrontational.

Your perception of VMPS RM40s (sound and vision) is perfectly legitimate.  Over a period of time, you come to learn whose opinions you should value and respect.  If a number of these gurus say the same thing over and over, you tend to believe it as fact.

And you have no reason to value my opinion as gospel, as it's unlikely you (or anyone) would spend the time to research me and my posts just to see if I'm credible or not.  That's fine with me - I doubt I would take the time either.  

Yet, I stand by my statement on the attractiveness of my RM40s.  My other speakers are Thiel CS-3.5 floorstanders with optional teakwood cabinetry.  The craftsmenship and quality of the cabinets of my RM40s is considerably better than the Thiels.  It's readily apparent to anyone who looks.  And I have had many, many people over to see/hear my system.

And don't forget, this is not me comparing my VMPS speakers against someone else's, where I have a vested interest in my speakers "coming out on top".  I have owned these Thiels for years, and I love them.  Based upon my recommendations, three of my friends have purchased Thiel speakers.  I'm a huge fan.  But my Thiels (and yes, even the new CS-7.2s) are not more attractive than my RM40s.  Well, the new ones are more shiny - but I don't confuse "extra coats of laquer" with "higher quality".

As I stated before, perhaps I just got lucky.

Kevin

mlschifter

• http://www.av123.com
A short reply for this morning...
« Reply #26 on: 6 Nov 2003, 03:18 am »
Greetings from PanYu City, PRC...

Just in last night... but almost didn't make it...  :cry:

I decided to take the Bus from Hong Kong Airport to Guangzhou, China... everything was fine and dandy for the 1st hour of the 3 hour trip (after the lovely 14.5 hour flight...  :wink: )... Cleared Hong Kong side Customs... and then the China side formalities...

About 10 minutes out... the Bus we were in smelled terrible... and I saw flames coming out from the undercarriage...

I screamed to stop the Bus (many were sleeping)... and after the driver pulled over quickly... I scrambled to wake everyone up... and then managed to get everyone out through the emergency door... It was WILD...

We had a small explosion as I got the last person out... and then more fire etc. etc. Whew... Next time... I'll let my driver pick me up in Lo Wu Station (ShenZhen)...

I managed to get a taxi driver to take me all the way home to Clifford Estates, PanYu sometime later... this was after a semi almost jack-knifed in front of all of us (full brake lock up)... as the Taxi drivers decided to stop in the middle of the highway to see the bus burning...

We were all able to get our luggage out from underneath...

Now Brian... about those quotes...  :D

I'm taking the day off... maybe two...

Wishing all of you --- All the very best...

mls

Andrikos

Mark Shifter and VMPS
« Reply #27 on: 6 Nov 2003, 03:57 am »
Wow Mark!
What an adventure! I'm glad to see you came out of it fine.
I see your Odyssey is quite full of action, beware of the sirens!  :wink:
Anyway, I appreciate you taking up some of your precious time and updating us. I hope all's well with you

Andreas

mlschifter

Thanks for your reply...
« Reply #28 on: 6 Nov 2003, 07:27 am »
Quote from: Andrikos
Wow Mark!
What an adventure! I'm glad to see you came out of it fine.
I see your Odyssey is quite full of action, beware of the sirens!  :wink:
Anyway, I appreciate you taking up some of your precious time and updating us. I hope all's well with you

Andreas

Thanks Andreas...  :)

I'm always available to any of you... it may take me a day or two sometimes to reply... but I promise to always get back to you...

Today I'm taking it a bit slow... foot massage at 5PM... and then dinner with some friends tonight at 7:30...

Tomorrow I'll be back at it again...

Wishing you all the very best...

mls

Alex Prosak

Mark Shifter and VMPS
« Reply #29 on: 6 Nov 2003, 08:18 am »
Holy Cow Mark!

What a trip that was, glad to hear no one was hurt.  I think you need a day or two off and a few good beers to settle down after that experience.

Hope the rest of your trip fares much better.

Alex

Mad DOg

Mark Shifter and VMPS
« Reply #30 on: 7 Nov 2003, 03:14 am »
mark,

having lived and travelled thru the prc a bit myself, i can totally relate to your little adventure...had some of those experiences myself! :)

just glad to hear you are safe and sound... :thumb:

take good care and please do be careful...hope to see you soon...:)

mlschifter

Thanks MadDog
« Reply #31 on: 7 Nov 2003, 03:45 am »
I'm here... but not really myself...

Appreciate the many kind notes...

All the best...

mls

John Casler

Re: Thanks MadDog
« Reply #32 on: 7 Nov 2003, 04:14 am »
Quote from: mlschifter
I'm here... but not really myself...

Appreciate the many kind notes...

All the best...

mls

Mark,

In addition to my good wishes from your exciting journey, let me be the first to welcome you to our VMPS family.

Your vision as we discussed Monday and your support will provide a sound foundation for VMPS to climb yet to another level in the world of Audio. :D

I know, speaking for Brian and myself, and judging by the pre and post meeting excitment, the VMPS community is welcoming you with open arms.

I see that we are going to enjoy a very nice growth and all our supporters will find some incredibly exciting "new" developments as they unfold over the next year.(actually knowing Big B the next few years)

I know the VMPS commitment to delivering High End at a fair and reasonable price.  I know your commitment to make a product as good as anyone can expect.

Fair Prices and High End Audio performance have seldom been thought of before in the same company, not to mention extreme craftsmanship and beauty.

Well look out :wink:   MLS and Big B's VMPS mean no BS any more for High end.

Welcome.