New Member of the TWL Family!

ACHiPo

Re: New Member of the TWL Family!
« Reply #20 on: 13 Apr 2016, 02:34 am »
Give them time as you stated. Lots of wire and dielectric to settle. Do not make judgements until broken in for 200 hours minimum.  Welcome to the TWL family.

charles
Yeah, I know--"patience is a virtue and a little wouldn't hurt you"!  :lol:

The PCs have about 150 hours at this point, although fewer for the amps (~80).  Trying to hold off judgment, but there does seem to be a bit of a roller coaster--almost as much as when I was breaking in my Darwin ICs.  Pretty surprising for a skeptic like me!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #21 on: 13 Apr 2016, 12:41 pm »
I tried several power cords over the past couple years and heard no difference on my Oppo 105, Rowland Consummate line/phono, or AtmaSphere M60 amps.  Since then,  moving to new ICs, relocating my electronics from between the speakers, running a dedicated 20A line, and replacing the Oppo with a new DAC have greatly increased the resolution of my system, so I figure it is time to try PCs out again.  Ralph Karsten, the designer/manufacturer of my amps, claims improvements with better PCs on the amps, but I didn't hear anything when I tried it before, so we'll see.

I'll let you know my findings.

AC

I was able to hear differences in PC's on both M-60's and MA-1's in my system.

Looking forward to seeing what results you get in your system.

George

ACHiPo

« Reply #22 on: 13 Apr 2016, 07:22 pm »
I was able to hear differences in PC's on both M-60's and MA-1's in my system.

Looking forward to seeing what results you get in your system.

George
George,

I've heard differences, first pretty exciting, then got pretty "blah".  I've talked to Ralph and the symptoms are consistent with 6SN7 aging, although my tubes are only a couple years old, so have maybe 2-3k hours on them and shouldn't be dying yet.  I figure it's either aging 6SN7s or just a roller coaster with the PCs.

I'm exercising patience (or trying to) and after another couple hundred hours will give it another critical listening session.  If I still don't hear magic, I'll roll in some Sylvania 6SN7s and see what I hear.

Thanks,
Evan

rpf

« Reply #23 on: 13 Apr 2016, 09:15 pm »
Should not need 4-500 hours: I'd check the tubes.

jriggy

« Reply #24 on: 13 Apr 2016, 09:34 pm »
IME these PCs do not have wild swings through break-in time, like other PCs can. I have always equated this to Pete putting em on a cable cooker before shipping.

dpatters

« Reply #25 on: 14 Apr 2016, 12:40 pm »
IME these PCs do not have wild swings through break-in time, like other PCs can. I have always equated this to Pete putting em on a cable cooker before shipping.
[/quote

That was my experience also.

Don P.

ACHiPo

« Reply #26 on: 16 Apr 2016, 05:59 am »
Well, a little Friday night jam session tonight with my wife.  She says she can't tell the difference, and yet she keeps commenting on how real things sound and all the detail she's never heard before.  I'm thinking break in is complete!  Now on to fuses...

dflee

« Reply #27 on: 16 Apr 2016, 01:41 pm »
Guess I'll quit hangin around your trash cans waiting for you to throw em out.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #28 on: 16 Apr 2016, 02:16 pm »
Guess I'll quit hangin around your trash cans waiting for you to throw em out.

Would consider tag-teaming with me? I'll pass through there in a week from now, so I could spot you. Shucks, I might even be able to get inside his house. While he is brewing up a shot of espresso, *pull* *slip out* *duck out the window* *replace with Radio Shack special PC*.

I'm sure he'll never notice.  8)

ACHiPo

« Reply #29 on: 16 Apr 2016, 02:33 pm »
Would consider tag-teaming with me? I'll pass through there in a week from now, so I could spot you. Shucks, I might even be able to get inside his house. While he is brewing up a shot of espresso, *pull* *slip out* *duck out the window* *replace with Radio Shack special PC*.

I'm sure he'll never notice.  8)
:bawl:
 :rotflmao: