NuPrime Pure AC-4

rustydoglim

NuPrime Pure AC-4
« on: 24 Nov 2018, 04:52 pm »
We are going to bring exceptional value and performance to the audiophile power related products. This is the first of a series of products.
I will publish more details later. I started this topic to get your feedback.
The AC sockets are Furutech FPX (Rodium plated), retail for about $100 each (of course we got the OEM price).
High quality parts throughout. But that's not the most impressive part of this product.
The AC filter has been painstakingly designed to reduce AC noise by at least 20 dB. 
It was designed to handle huge power and includes a circuit breaker!  This should be the front line protection and noise reduction for all your consumer electronics.

And it retails for $599. 
Note that the AC sockets are US only but you can easily order US power cord with your products.  You can get a decent AC power cord between the wall and Pure AC-4, it doesn't have to be high end, since Pure AC-4 is going to clean up the AC for you.

There will be Pure DC product coming also, that provides multiple DC power.

The display shows very high power usage because we were powering a heat gun (no particular reason, but to show the display).

Samac

Re: NuPrime Pure AC-4
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2018, 05:26 pm »
We are going to bring exceptional value and performance to the audiophile power related products. This is the first of a series of products.
I will publish more details later. I started this topic to get your feedback.
The AC sockets are Furutech FPX (Rodium plated), retail for about $100 each (of course we got the OEM price).
High quality parts throughout. But that's not the most impressive part of this product.
The AC filter has been painstakingly designed to reduce AC noise by at least 20 dB. 
It was designed to handle huge power and includes a circuit breaker!  This should be the front line protection and noise reduction for all your consumer electronics.

And it retails for $599. 
Note that the AC sockets are US only but you can easily order US power cord with your products.  You can get a decent AC power cord between the wall and Pure AC-4, it doesn't have to be high end, since Pure AC-4 is going to clean up the AC for you.

There will be Pure DC product coming also, that provides multiple DC power.

The display shows very high power usage because we were powering a heat gun (no particular reason, but to show the display).

That looks fantastic. :thumb: I especially appreciate the use of the Furutech Rhodium outlets. Looking forward to learning more about this. I want this now. :D

Forward thinking and products like this, with an emphasis on high performance and good value, are why I love my NuPrime gear. Keep up the great work.

Cheers,

Scott

Samoyed

« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2018, 05:50 pm »
What he said.

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2018, 05:58 pm »
Love it!

Just talking to a Customer today about this very thing.

Glad to now have these in our Product Line Up.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2018, 04:09 pm by John Casler »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2018, 06:33 pm »
Hot damn!

........What Scott said.  :thumb:

Any idea when it will be available?

Michael

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #5 on: 25 Nov 2018, 01:07 am »
How does it achieve the filtering?

I am always looking to include on of these type of products in my setup... I find there a few categories of products.  For me, the very best is something like PS Audio power regenerators where AC current is transformed into DC and then re-constitued to VERY CLEAN AC.  Those are REALLY expensive, but they are great.  On the other end, you have your typical house voltage regulators where the end result is that you may lose dynamic range because, when the equipment suddenly demands a lot of power, you may end up with deeps and opposite response to what you expected (not really sure how to explain this, if there is interest I can find more technical info).  And then there is a lot of 'in betweeners'. 

So I'm curious as to how this achieves the filtering?  Have you tested it and found it 'improves' sound?  I have read you for years now and I loved how you always insist that you don't 'sell smoke' or 'air' (or bullshit! to be plain and direct :) ).  And I have read you state things like: "fellows, if you are going to spend $500 on fuses, I can charge you that and put more expensive ones in our products"... same for $1K power cables... somewhat insinuating that those are snake oil and that it really makes little difference (to which I have always agreed to and loved that about your stance).

Now you are selling the "$500 fuse" or the "$500 power cable" in the form of a DC cleaner?  And now this is somehow NOT snake oil and actually affects sound because now it's you selling it and not the 'fuse' or 'cable' company?

So, can you please elaborate more on the technical features of this power strip "on steroids"?

I really would buy into such a product and your price range seems really reasonable, depending on what is happening 'under the hood'.  But if half the price of the unit is the power connectors (assuming almost 50% volume discount for the price you have listed above) I wonder if it really makes sense to have $200 worth of connectors, on a $600 retail equipment?   After R&D, profit margin, etc. and $200 in connectors, chassis and other cosmetic parts (like nice screen) how much really is left for the actual 'filtering'?

I really want to give you the benefit of the doubt, but somehow I find it difficult with the latest product decisions other than the Evo line.  I want to be convinced!  I'd love to be convinced!  Please... convince me!!! :)

Best regards,
Rafa.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2018, 01:26 am »
Rafa, I agree with you about $100 sockets in a unit that cost $599. (show me an oscilloscope test that shows a difference over some cheaper but well built sockets) However I would venture to guess that the $100 retail costs of those sockets is for about $10 worth of parts.  Many years ago when I was in high school I worked in a store and I had to put the price stickers on the stock that we sold.  I had the original price we paid and for the items and most things were marked up 500 to 1000%.

So who knows what Nuprime is paying for them.

But I would also like to know how this box works before dropping $600.

Larry

Samoyed

« Reply #7 on: 25 Nov 2018, 01:26 am »
I’m wondering if it was spun off from the Evolution DAC?

SFDude

« Reply #8 on: 25 Nov 2018, 06:57 pm »
Would this unit be more use on front-end components like CDP, DAC, etc? And would you recommend a second unit for pre/power amps or one unit for both?

-dave

gab

« Reply #9 on: 25 Nov 2018, 07:05 pm »
Does it include an internal DC Line blocker (something similar to this humdinger)?
https://avahifi.com/collections/accessories/products/humdinger-dc-line-blocker

kaka89

« Reply #10 on: 29 Nov 2018, 05:30 am »
How does it achieve the filtering?

I am always looking to include on of these type of products in my setup... I find there a few categories of products.  For me, the very best is something like PS Audio power regenerators where AC current is transformed into DC and then re-constitued to VERY CLEAN AC.  Those are REALLY expensive, but they are great.  On the other end, you have your typical house voltage regulators where the end result is that you may lose dynamic range because, when the equipment suddenly demands a lot of power, you may end up with deeps and opposite response to what you expected (not really sure how to explain this, if there is interest I can find more technical info).  And then there is a lot of 'in betweeners'. 

So I'm curious as to how this achieves the filtering?  Have you tested it and found it 'improves' sound?  I have read you for years now and I loved how you always insist that you don't 'sell smoke' or 'air' (or bullshit! to be plain and direct :) ).  And I have read you state things like: "fellows, if you are going to spend $500 on fuses, I can charge you that and put more expensive ones in our products"... same for $1K power cables... somewhat insinuating that those are snake oil and that it really makes little difference (to which I have always agreed to and loved that about your stance).

Now you are selling the "$500 fuse" or the "$500 power cable" in the form of a DC cleaner?  And now this is somehow NOT snake oil and actually affects sound because now it's you selling it and not the 'fuse' or 'cable' company?

So, can you please elaborate more on the technical features of this power strip "on steroids"?

I really would buy into such a product and your price range seems really reasonable, depending on what is happening 'under the hood'.  But if half the price of the unit is the power connectors (assuming almost 50% volume discount for the price you have listed above) I wonder if it really makes sense to have $200 worth of connectors, on a $600 retail equipment?   After R&D, profit margin, etc. and $200 in connectors, chassis and other cosmetic parts (like nice screen) how much really is left for the actual 'filtering'?

I really want to give you the benefit of the doubt, but somehow I find it difficult with the latest product decisions other than the Evo line.  I want to be convinced!  I'd love to be convinced!  Please... convince me!!! :)

Best regards,
Rafa.

While I understanding people who want power supply product usually also believe in better connectors and cable, I share the same concern that including a $200 connectors in a $600 product might not make sense. As a Nuprime customer, I would like to believe in Nuprime's engineering team to make good product out of ordinary parts.

Anyway, I am interested in this product. It would be awesome if Nuprime can use the low-profile display in DAC-9. The current LCD display looks kinda cheap.

Thanks.

JackD

« Reply #11 on: 29 Nov 2018, 06:41 am »
If they paid $100 retail for the outlets then these arguments might be valid but since one OEM in the Far East is selling to another OEM in the same region then what they paid for the outlets are a fraction of US retail so a mute point. Again the same small group is jumping the gun looking for all kinds of facts and descriptions that are likely unavailable at this time since the release of this product is months in the future.  A prototype is not likely to look the same when it is all over so let's wait for more information before challenging Jason with what you think the product should be.  Same thing has happened with both CD products and every Evolution product announcement. 

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #12 on: 29 Nov 2018, 06:53 pm »
Looks like a great product. Just moved from a rural lake in SC to an inner city neighborhood in Denver (close to son and daughter) and I can sense/hear? That my 2 channel  sounds best early in the morning and late nights. So I would be very interested. Jason, when are these available for purchase. Thanks

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #13 on: 30 Nov 2018, 06:33 am »
... Again the same small group is jumping the gun looking for all kinds of facts and descriptions that are likely unavailable at this time since the release of this product is months in the future.  A prototype is not likely to look the same when it is all over so let's wait for more information before challenging Jason with what you think the product should be.  Same thing has happened with both CD products and every Evolution product announcement.

Did you read Jason's post?  "I started this to get your feedback".

Obviously, our feedback is limited by the info we have, so we are going by the info provided + questions + a bit of educated guesses. But he IS expecting feedback.  I doubt that the feedback he wanted was "oh, all is perfect, no need for any other product ever".

Precisely if this is in prototype stages, this is the time to give this feedback and get their juices flowing and aiming the product better.

Since there are 4 x $100 outlets, I assumed a bulk pricing of half of retail value and expressed a concern that if $200 of a $600 equipment is going to outlets, then after taking several other fixed costs into account, the price of the actual 'filtering' section (which is the heart of the piece) is not going to be very significant.

If I'm selling you a car for $15.000 and I claim to have put wheels that cost $10.000 dollars on the market (this is the same ratio of cost of the product vs. the outlets retail cost), then it is my feedback that the money has been spent on the wrong area.  That is MY feedback.

Others may think that that is precisely where they would have put all the bullets in.  It's not my thinking.

And yes, I have critiqued other such decisions in other products, in the attention to the web page, in the wordings on the labels.

If NuPrime doesn't want to hear this, they shouldn't be asking for feedback.  I doubt they would rather hear that everything smells like roses.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Rafa.

Samoyed

« Reply #14 on: 30 Nov 2018, 01:18 pm »
As this is a forum, anyone’s post invites debate. Rusty, Evolution DAC, please! :popcorn:

AndrewA

« Reply #15 on: 30 Nov 2018, 02:46 pm »
Can you plug power amps into this without any deleterious effects?

I hope you are also envisaging an AC-6 model.

rjclaster

« Reply #16 on: 3 Dec 2018, 09:45 am »
Rusty, would you consider selling the prototype to me?

rjclaster

« Reply #17 on: 3 Dec 2018, 09:31 pm »
Rusty, when you say that the AC-4 reduces AC noise by at least 20 db, what frequencies does this cover?

rustydoglim

« Reply #18 on: 8 Dec 2018, 07:33 pm »
This will probably ship after mid January.
You guys should know that NuPrime doesn't make products just for the "look" without proven improvement.
I will publish more measurement and plot info later.
Yes, the filter part was used in Evolution DAC and achieved excellent result. But it would be too costly (and lack of physical space) to include this in other products. But if we can have a $599 product that can improve the performance of several other components, that will make sense.
There is a plan for EU AC socket version too.

simon740

« Reply #19 on: 10 Jan 2019, 08:44 pm »
This will probably ship after mid January.
You guys should know that NuPrime doesn't make products just for the "look" without proven improvement.
I will publish more measurement and plot info later.
Yes, the filter part was used in Evolution DAC and achieved excellent result. But it would be too costly (and lack of physical space) to include this in other products. But if we can have a $599 product that can improve the performance of several other components, that will make sense.
There is a plan for EU AC socket version too.

Yes !!  :D Please...hurry up  :D

regards,
Simon