BDP-2 -> BDP- Upgrade

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BDP-2 -> BDP- Upgrade
« Reply #20 on: 23 Jul 2020, 10:45 am »

Hi Chris, what is the approx time upgrading a mid 2015 BDP-2 (IAD) to a BDP-3?  I now own two BDP-2s and am thinking of making one of them a BDP-3.  The BDP-2s are an enormous upgrade to my BDP-1s.  Also, does any type of warranty come with the BDP-3 upgrade?  Thank you.

Once it makes it to our plant in Peterborough it'll take about a week to do the upgrade, burn-in and checkout procedure.  If your in Canada the shipping should be under a week in either direction.  If the US then it'll take a bit longer because it goes through our us repair depot in Vermont before it makes its way to Canada and then when the upgrade is done it'll be shipped directly back to you.  If your interested in a firmer timeline I'd suggest getting in touch with us directly.

The change from a BDP-2 to BDP-3 should be noticeable, but it won't be quite as extreme as going from a BDP-1 to a BDP-2 as the BDP-2 is still quite a capable piece of hardware.

Hope this helps,
Chris

zoom25

« Reply #21 on: 23 Jul 2020, 05:21 pm »
Once it makes it to our plant in Peterborough it'll take about a week to do the upgrade, burn-in and checkout procedure.  If your in Canada the shipping should be under a week in either direction.  If the US then it'll take a bit longer because it goes through our us repair depot in Vermont before it makes its way to Canada and then when the upgrade is done it'll be shipped directly back to you.  If your interested in a firmer timeline I'd suggest getting in touch with us directly.

The change from a BDP-2 to BDP-3 should be noticeable, but it won't be quite as extreme as going from a BDP-1 to a BDP-2 as the BDP-2 is still quite a capable piece of hardware.

Hope this helps,
Chris

In terms of boot times and library update time or SQ or both?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #22 on: 24 Jul 2020, 12:51 pm »
In terms of boot times and library update time or SQ or both?

All three all though you’ve listed them in order so most noticeable to least noticeable and have to admit I personally cant tell the difference between the sound quality of a BDP2 with the IAD from a BDP-3, but I’ve been told otherwise.  I think the sound quality improvement is very minimal, to the point that I can’t tell, but those much more familiar with there music and system are able to listen for the small improvements.

Chris

vonnie123

« Reply #23 on: 24 Jul 2020, 07:46 pm »

The change from a BDP-2 to BDP-3 should be noticeable, but it won't be quite as extreme as going from a BDP-1 to a BDP-2 as the BDP-2 is still quite a capable piece of hardware.  I picked up a BOT-1 with my recent BDP-2.  Works nicely.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Thanks Chris.  Does the device get a warranty extension subsequent to the upgrade.  Hard to believe the sound quality could get much better, the BDP-2 is an incredible machine.  Definitely a jump from the BDP-1.

vonnie123

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jul 2020, 01:12 am »

Does upgrading the T500ma F1 fuse in the IAD equipped BDP-2s impact the signal path.  I think in the BDP-1s only the F2 fuse was associated with music reproduction.

zoom25

« Reply #25 on: 26 Jul 2020, 04:28 am »
All three all though you’ve listed them in order so most noticeable to least noticeable and have to admit I personally cant tell the difference between the sound quality of a BDP2 with the IAD from a BDP-3, but I’ve been told otherwise.  I think the sound quality improvement is very minimal, to the point that I can’t tell, but those much more familiar with there music and system are able to listen for the small improvements.

Chris

If I remember correctly, the BDP-3 has more RAM and a beefier processor and USB 3.0 inputs, but the audio output section is identical to the BDP-2 with IAD?

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #26 on: 28 Jul 2020, 06:51 am »
Does that matter (the IAD) if you use the USB output into, say, a BDA-3? Aside from being faster, the BDP-2 should (nearly) equal the BDP-3 via USB (in sound quality), aside possibly from PSU improvements, correct?

R. Daneel

« Reply #27 on: 1 Aug 2020, 10:24 am »
Does that matter (the IAD) if you use the USB output into, say, a BDA-3? Aside from being faster, the BDP-2 should (nearly) equal the BDP-3 via USB (in sound quality), aside possibly from PSU improvements, correct?

Hi!

IAD affects only AES and BNC digital outputs of the machine. As for USB, Bryston hasn't made it exactly clear what the improvements are in the power supply going from a BDP-2 to a -3.

Power supply in the BDP-1 was a 1Amp but they changed it to 5Amp in the BDP-2. It has a bigger toroid as well and as far as I could see, two shunt-type regulators rather than one to transfer the heat to the bottom panel.

But to be perfectly frank, in my system and our own orchestral works, I wasn't able to spot a difference between a BDP-1 and an IAD-equipped BDP-2 and I had them side by side at one point.

So my conclusion is that you should buy what suits your criteria in terms of system speed, not the audio side of things. BDP-2 is alreaedy as good of a transport as I have heard them and far greater differences can be achieved elsewhere.

Cheers,
Antun

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #28 on: 1 Aug 2020, 02:48 pm »
Bryston hasn't made it exactly clear what the improvements are in the power supply going from a BDP-2 to a -3

Just to meet new safety standards and to harmonize bill of materials, I’m sure if you dig through the forums you can find this same response as it isn’t something we’ve tried hiding.  The power supply is backwards compatible all the way to the bdp-1, done solely to be able to continue to service these old units that many including myself have held onto.

Chris

R. Daneel

« Reply #29 on: 1 Aug 2020, 03:37 pm »
Just to meet new safety standards and to harmonize bill of materials, I’m sure if you dig through the forums you can find this same response as it isn’t something we’ve tried hiding.  The power supply is backwards compatible all the way to the bdp-1, done solely to be able to continue to service these old units that many including myself have held onto.

Chris

Hi Chris!

Thank you for the clarification!

I was meaning to ask some things about spare parts for BDP-2 but I will post them in the appropriate thread.

Cheers!
Antun

vonnie123

« Reply #30 on: 2 Aug 2020, 01:38 am »
@antun

Do you know if the F1 and F2 fuses affect sound reproduction in IAD equipped BDPs?

vonnie123

« Reply #31 on: 4 Aug 2020, 06:50 pm »

The heat produced is dependent on the BDP model and room temperature. Heat transfer from the chassis into it's surroundings is significantly impacted by the difference in temperature between the two. The size of the library has nothing to do with it.

My BDP-1 produced no heat whatsoever. BDP-2 gets very hot during summer. Stacking components together isn't a particularly good idea, in all respects, not just because of heat.

I have two BDP-2s (both with factory IAD) and a BDP-1.  One of the BDP-2s is in a entertainment center style cabinet.  It was getting a bit warm.  I added an AC Infinity T8 rear exhaust component fan.  The fan exhausts hot air to outside of the cabinet.  Problem solved.  I have four T8s in the main system rack, and an S6 for my Headamp GSX-mini.

https://www.acinfinity.com/component-cooling/component-fan-systems/aircom-t8-receiver-and-av-component-cooling-blower-system-rear-exhaust-17/

R. Daneel

« Reply #32 on: 8 Aug 2020, 04:43 pm »
@antun

Do you know if the F1 and F2 fuses affect sound reproduction in IAD equipped BDPs?

Sorry, I have not experimented with fuses.

Cheers,
Antun

vonnie123

« Reply #33 on: 10 Aug 2020, 04:22 am »
Sorry, I have not experimented with fuses.

Cheers,
Antun

Thanks for the reply.