A New(ish) Channel that's Looking for feedback!

Zero

A New(ish) Channel that's Looking for feedback!
« on: 29 Jan 2016, 12:46 am »
Hey everybody!

My name's Sean, and I run a little hi-fi channel on Youtube called Zero Fidelity. 

I'm writing this post because I could use your help.  What I'm looking for is feedback.  Now before I fire off a link to my channel, I'd like to hip you all to who I am, what I'm doing, and why...

A Short Back-round

In a nutshell, my relationship with music dates all the way back to when I was a little kid. I was more into composing music back then, but as time moved forward, I started to listen to other artists more and more.  Eventually I discovered just how involving the listening experience can get whenever you hear it through an awesome stereo system.  Ever since that moment, I've probably cycled through more product sku's than most dealers. It got so bad that I eventually served as a scribe for a couple fairly rag-tag EZenes.  It was a fun time!  But then a mixture of BS, politics, and all kinds of craziness drove me away from the industry.  It wasn't until last year when I decided to re-enter the game.  This time however, my mission is simple:  To try and offer something positive that could truly benefit a dying industry.

So I decided to start up a Youtube channel.  Why Youtube?   Well, there are a couple benefits to doing video reviews.  For one, I feel like the Youtube format is a lot more interactive than your traditional print or web publication.  More importantly, Youtube videos reach out to a whole new audience! Hence, Zero Fidelity was born.

About Zero Fidelity

I know, it's a funny name isn't it?  Maybe I'll tell the story behind the name one day.  For now, I want to tell you what my goals are with my channel.  They're really quite simple. I want to post up content that is interesting, accurate, and completely free of bullsh*t.  My goal is to make sure that everything I have to say is fair, balanced, and easy to understand.  Moreover, I want everything to be raw, honest, and real. 

So to help achieve this goal, I made the conscious decision to do it everything for free.  I bring in no advertising, I bring in no ad-rev from Amazon or Youtube...  I bring in nada.  This is a pure passion project.  One where I bust my ass to make sure I honor those who support me with the most accurate information possible. 

There's just one catch....

There's always a catch....

I'm not rich, and since I'm making zero money from this adventure, I refuse to spend 40 hours a week making pretty/high production quality videos.  Thus, my videos are about as basic as basic can get.  I'm just a dude with a camera.  My videos follow NO script, and I will often times shoot a review in one take.  The lighting is rarely perfect.  The sound is just OK.  Even the framing of the camera could be better.  But that's OK because my focus, at least for now,is purely on the content.

Obviously the lack of flash and pinache is a limiting factor.  I know this.  I have a plan on how to address that issue later down the road.  But for now, I'm hoping that people will be able to focus more on the content and less on production value.

Phew. That's all folks

Alright, so if you made it this far, then you're absolutely the kinda person that I want feedback fro!.  So without delay...  here are a couple links! 

Main Page:   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHGNxiMlh69Q4M9w7ZV7FPw
Review of the Curious USB Cable:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taI0OOZiRDE
Review of the Harbeth P3ESR:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF1rWiEhEjY

Bear in mind that I'm looking for feedback and/or criticism! All that I ask is to be respectful when you deliver it.  :) 

Thanks guys!!

Zero

Re: A New(ish) Channel that's Looking for feedback!
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2016, 12:55 am »
Edited to correct my Engrish. :D  :lol:

Double edit:  Since I don't want my post to come across as self-serving, because that's really not what I'm going for, I want to hip you all to my favorite Hi-Fi channel on Youtube, New Record Day.  This is somebody who is poised to make a real difference in this business. If you're not familiar with his work, then check it out here!:  https://www.youtube.com/user/NewRecordDay   

Pez

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2016, 05:42 pm »
Man, it's crazy to me that Sean has yet to receive any comments back on this post. He is basically doing what Tyson and I did for RMAF  but full-time and for free. I have been watching his channel for several months now and his insights are incredible and helpful.  Not to sound brash, but that's one of the main reasons I frequent AC less often. I find that people are more interested in stroking their ego about gear than they are about learning new things about this hobby. Nothing stands more apparent to me right now than this utter lack of feedback given to Sean.

My personal opinion is that this should be the way that reviews are done and has a higher level of honesty and value than any magazine I've ever read. But I guess what you do is just too good for anyone else other than me to understand.  :dunno:

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2016, 06:13 pm »
Thanks for bumping this thread. I just went and watched a few of the videos and have to say they were entertaining. I know it wouldn't really help much for Sean to play music as what comes out of my laptop speakers is crap. It would be nice to know he's listening to music through the components though.
Kudos to Sean for being able to rattle off all of that information in one take! :weights:

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2016, 06:37 pm »
Try a Gimbal instead of a tripod. The Ghost is exceptionally nice, but not free.

You could use some frequency compression on the voice in videos.

Perhaps speak slightly slower. I'd like more listening shots or something to break up the close-up talk.

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2016, 08:39 pm »
Hey Sean,

Glad to see you back on AC!

Boris

gnostalgick

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2016, 01:46 am »
Hi Sean,

I have to say I think you're doing a great job as I've recently placed an order for a Dayens amplifier.  Sorry--it wasn't solely based on your review, but your channel is where I first heard about them. (Of course, I then had to watch several more of your videos in hopes of figuring out if you knew what you were talking about :) ) Anyways if I hadn't been impressed with your reviews, I doubt I would have researched the amps much further & therefore never ordered them.

I would say your strengths are your down to earth attitude & enthusiastic nature about audio.  I most enjoy the features on reasonably affordable products I otherwise may have heard of.  There's a lot of words written about audio everyday, but I don't bother to read a thing about items with 20k+ price tags; its a waste of my time; there's also only so many times one can read about let's say the LS50s, before one either buys them or moves on.  Both Stereomojo & 6moons sometimes have interesting budget reviews but I don't regularly visit either, as neither site is exactly user-friendly (at 6moons the text isn't even user-friendly! :icon_lol: )  Conversely, I can't claim much interest in any of the headphones or either the Polk or Pioneer videos (though if even a single person upgraded from a soundbar or home-theater-in-a-box set up it was certainly a job well done).

I definitely think Youtube is a great way to get a different crowd of people interested in higher fidelity.  If you're not in it for the money, I really wouldn't worry about the production values--your videos already show off the quality of the construction far better than any written words or stills do.  And really there are so few channels that do this, its not like you have to deal with competition; I would think that consistent content output is the key to the success you're looking for.

Personally, what I really would like to see more of is your reference system(s) and listening room(s): shots of it all connected; how and why you ended up with everything the way it is--not just the components but the placement of them; why you feel their strengths far outweigh any weakness. Not only to get a better grasp of a reviewer's auditory point of view, but also to bring to the table the synergy between it all.  I'd also love to hear about any pieces you were certain were great, but that just didn't work out for you.

My one issue (as a subscriber) is that your channel homepage doesn't seem to automatically recommend your newest video. 

Thanks for your all your time & effort,
Kirk

P.S.  Keep the beard.

Zero

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2016, 08:30 pm »
Jason -  You're too kind my friend.  Seriously.  At the end of the day, I'm just a jackass with a camera.  Still, the fact that you appreciate what I'm attempting to to do warms me in all of the right places. ;)   Seriously, even though I'm not nearly as critical (cynical?) as you and your BFF are, I strive to disregard those extraordinarily soft gloves when it comes to doling out criticisms and caveats.

Tim - Thanks for watching!  I hear you.  One of the most common requests that I get from people is to record the sound of the system playing music.  The problem is that I've been unable to find a way to get good *and* consistent results from each recording.  This is a problem because there are tons of people who will judge the sound of something by listening to it on Youtube.  It's crazy, but it's partially why I need to be highly discriminating before uploading these kinda soundbites.

Folsom -  Great suggestions!  I've been looking for mic situation that makes sense.  So far, I've tried numerous external mics, clip-on mics, and field-recorders with halfway decent mics attached to them - phantom power and all.  The result?  All of them sound like sh!!!.  At least when you factor in what you get for the $$$.  Thank goodness for return policies!  Here's to hoping that I find an adequate solution in the near future, as it's embarrassing to talk about good sound while using crappy built-in mics.  :oops:  Meanwhile, thanks for the Gimbal idea.  I'll look into it. :)  I also agree that I need to feature more breaks in my videos, as it can be tough to watch a nerd ramble about hi-fi for 5 minutes straight.

Boris -  Hey man!  :D 

Kirk -  Woah dude!   Excellent feedback!   Thanks for taking the time to provide me with such a thorough assessment. Which Dayens amp did you end up going with?  And hah, no need to apologize man.  I never buy anything based purely off of one review either.  :)

I agree that Youtube can serve as a wonderful conduit for industries like Hi-Fi.  In a way, the biggest problem with Zero Fidelity is that it's preaching to the choir.  At some point, I'd like to focus on a new project that'll be designed to reach out to ye' average person.  I'm not sure when I'll be able to start up that channel, as it'll require a lot of time, knowledge, and resources to execute properly.  For now, I think I'm going to just soldier on with Zero Fidelity and learn as I go. 

Anyhoo, I hear you on the reference system / listening room videos.  I actually uploaded something like this when I first started up the channel, but I eventually decided to take the video down since it accrued maybe 20 videos in 3 months. haha  I agree though.  It's time for me to hip people what gear I use, what music I listen to, and to share a bit more about myself now that a couple people are beginning to pay attention. 

Oh, and thanks for bringing the "recommended latest videos" problem to my attention.  I coulda swore I took care of that situation last week.  I'll look into it again shortly.

Once again Kirk, thanks for taking the time to provide such excellent feedback!  Mucho appreciated! 

gnostalgick

« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2016, 03:47 pm »
   I over-think everything; I'm glad that habit could be of some use.

How to reach a new audience, I can't say; but I do know it needs to be all about the experience and not about the equipment; perhaps even introduce them to a new way of listening.

I think it's less about money in absolute terms, but priorities & perception of value.  I know someone with suits--he never wears--that individually cost more than my whole system:  he thinks a Sonos Play5 is too much money.  It's also about the time spent:  if 10,000 people are motivated to get a good sound system (whatever that is, relative to their budget) and enjoy it daily, you'll receive 1000 thanks; but the hobbyist end of the spectrum (where we exist) will only gain perhaps 100 members. 

Uh-oh, I hope I didn't dissuade you with all that.

Anyways, I ordered the Ampino Monoblocks as they seemed the most versatile.

Kirk

Lancelot

« Reply #9 on: 1 Feb 2016, 04:50 pm »
 I've just watched a few of the videos ( plan to watch others later ) and I have to say I'm impressed. The quality of the video is fine to me and the product introductions and listening impressions are entertaining and exactly the kind of information any prospective buyer might need.

As a long time audiophile I appreciate the depth of knowledge you have. Keep up the good work. I've added you to my favorites. 
« Last Edit: 1 Feb 2016, 05:51 pm by Lancelot »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #10 on: 1 Feb 2016, 05:10 pm »
Man, it's crazy to me that Sean has yet to receive any comments back on this post. He is basically doing what Tyson and I did for RMAF  but full-time and for free. I have been watching his channel for several months now and his insights are incredible and helpful.  Not to sound brash, but that's one of the main reasons I frequent AC less often. I find that people are more interested in stroking their ego about gear than they are about learning new things about this hobby. Nothing stands more apparent to me right now than this utter lack of feedback given to Sean.

My personal opinion is that this should be the way that reviews are done and has a higher level of honesty and value than any magazine I've ever read. But I guess what you do is just too good for anyone else other than me to understand.  :dunno:

Now now, Pez.

Don't jump to conclusions, please.
Feedback was given to Sean by me, but not here. I commented on one of his posts - just as he had asked. I also subscribed to his channel.

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 1 Feb 2016, 06:02 pm »
Have you seen "NewRecordDay" channel? I don't suggest you do an exact copy of him, but I think if you watch his video you'll notice a few things. The way he does all the different things makes it video worthy. Yes it's goofy watching him listen; but he shows the equipment from multiple angles, and shows them in a stereo, etc. The fact that I'm watching a video as opposed to more of an interview helps a lot.

Lancelot

« Reply #12 on: 1 Feb 2016, 09:09 pm »

I've seen "NewRecordDay''  and consider it different but not *better* than Zero Fidelity. I actually like the simplicity of Zero because I find it *content heavy* rather than showtime.

They're both neat to watch and in this case the differences between the two just gives us a wider perspective . I don't think being more alike would be a good thing.

groovybassist

« Reply #13 on: 1 Feb 2016, 09:24 pm »
Sean:

A few thoughts:

1)  I think it would be beneficial to hear/see more of the reference system and to hear what you think makes it a good tool for reviewing gear.

2)  Trying a piece of gear in the reference system and a more modest second system would also be cool, with feedback on how a review piece fared in each instance.

3)  More guest reviewers would be cool, to provide support or counterpoint for your perspective.  The guy in the one video you did like this was awesome!

Keep soldiering on - folks appreciate your perspective and the fact your reviews aren't for sale!

-Mike
« Last Edit: 1 Feb 2016, 11:43 pm by groovybassist »

Zero

« Reply #14 on: 2 Feb 2016, 09:43 pm »
You guys are awesome!

I honestly thought that this thread was already toast.  Thanks for surprising me!  Since you all have been so generous with your time, I want to let you all know that I just uploaded a video that addressed a couple of the topics that popped up in this thread.   If you're interested, you can check it out here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn0qC_GBQLI 

Otherwise, I'll address each of you individually.  Getting right to it!:

Kirk - Nice purchase!!  Honestly, your post isn't discouraging.  It simply emphasizes the fact that if somebody wants to reach out to the non-audiophile, then they will have to craft the kind of videos that the non-audiophile will find both entertaining and educational.

Lancelot-  Thanks for the feedback man!  It's refreshing to know that somebody feels like my videos do a halfway decent job of delivering useful info.  :)

mresseguie -  Pez is a highly passionate dude.  He also likes active speaker systems.  I try not to judge him for it...  but it's hard. haha  Seriously though, thanks for the sub! 

Folsom - Have I seen it?  Not only did I mention NRD in my post, Ron and I happen to be great buds!  I do understand where you're coming from.  I'll be doing a few things to break up the monotony of my reviews. 

Mike -  That one guy in the video was awesome, but he looks like a f***ng  meerkat when he's gauging the soundstage of a product.  He's also a wuss and can't handle the evaluation process.  :D :D :D    Seriously, I'd love to have you back over.   I wish there were more people in my area who gave a F*** about sound.   Oh yeah, and thanks for the feedback.  I'll be able to address some of the things that you brought up - and I look forward to doing so!

groovybassist

« Reply #15 on: 3 Feb 2016, 03:26 am »
Sean:

Get some shorter stands, so next time I can sit back and relax!

We'll do it again sometime, but narrow things down to less gear and more music. You know I have been an audiophile since before you were even a thing. 

Folsom

« Reply #16 on: 3 Feb 2016, 03:33 am »
Good point Lancelot. He certainly doesn't need to be "NewRecordDay" but there's room for improvement. Ron has done some things very well; but I do find myself fast-forwarding sometimes.

Zero

« Reply #17 on: 3 Feb 2016, 03:47 am »
Mike -  Some pretty nifty stuff is in the works regarding those stands.  I'll be sure to ask for a shorter pair once the prototypes are ready  Meanwhile..  Stop being a p***y. :D :D

Folsom - Yep, there's always room for improvement.  Obviously there's only so much headroom that I'll allow myself given the nature of Zero Fidelity, but just know that your feedback has been both noted and appreciated. :)