Anyone heard anything about the PS3 being late and $800?

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
$800 cost that is....

CornellAlum

« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2006, 08:38 pm »
The WSJ ran a story a couple days/last week ago about it being late.  I have no idea about cost, I still have my original xbox that I rarely play.   :lol:

mcrespo71

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2006, 05:17 am »
I've heard that it will cost anywhere from $500-$1000.  I'll just wait until it is released I guess.

Michael

Woodsea

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2006, 05:26 am »
I figure about $599 with the blue disc, pretty close to 1 year after the 360 for very limited availability.
I still have a hard time understanding how they are going to put the whole thing together.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2006, 06:12 am »
I've pretty much stopped reading those rumors.  No one really knows, but that doesn't stop the talking. :lol:   Eventually it will come out, it almost certainly will have a BluRay drive, and I'll probably buy it no matter how much it costs.

Woodsea

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2006, 03:43 am »
It has been officially stated by Sony today that the PS3 will be out in November.
 IMHO, that is most likely only in Japan.

PhilNYC

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2006, 05:26 pm »
Quote from: Woodsea
It has been officially stated by Sony today that the PS3 will be out in November.

I don't think it will be delayed beyond that in the US.  The hold-up is finalizing the Blu-Ray specs, so it's not like they are delaying because of lack of games or anything like that.  November thru the holiday season is a huge deadline for video games...no way they miss it...

mcrespo71

« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2006, 06:13 pm »
Quote from: Woodsea

No, I just read that it will officially launch before the holidays in Japan, US, and Europe, so it should launch in November simultaneously.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/696/696054p1.html

Se7en

Re: Anyone heard anything about the PS3 being late and $800?
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2006, 08:01 pm »
I have heard similar rumors pointing to the $600 price point, but have also heard that their manufacturing costs will be somewhere in the neighborhhod of $800. The cost is largely associated with the R&D of the Cell processor. Microsoft absorbed similar losses with the Xbox 1 launch (approx. -$144 per unit sold).

It is generally assumed that the consumer market will not take well to an $800 machine, I have a hard time coming to terms with a $600 machine. The last gaming console to street at $600 was the Sega Saturn, and if you haven't heard of it, well that might tell you how well the launch went.

As for the timing of the devices arrival, I would say that not only will it be late, it will be a very thin launch with very limited software. As of this date, I have not seen any final PS3 development hardware and I am alledgedly developing a PS3 launch title (we don't even know what the dev kits costs but it has been rumored in the 10s of thousands per dev box).

To this end I would expect two things:
1. A very delicate launch (on time) with a massive sony style marketing campaign, probably less than 500,000 units for North America including Canada, with similar unit distribution in Europe (even though the 3rd party publishing world has been promised at least 1 million units at launch and 4 million in homes by Q2 to help justify the $10 million dollar per sku development costs). It will be time once again to shell out 2K and hope not to get an empty box through some shady ebay deal.  I would also anticipate that these launch machines will be very buggy.
2: Due to the very short development time and lack of hardware, most 3rd party developers and publishers will only have time to perform "ports" of their existing 360 titles, with some rendering and graphics optimizations if it is a viable option.

As a consumer of the PS3, I will more than likely wait until the 2nd holiday season before I place one in my own home.

Just my .02

PhilNYC

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2006, 08:08 pm »
The last gaming console to street at $600 was the Sega Saturn, and if you haven't heard of it, well that might tell you how well the launch went.

Sega Saturn was $400.  3DO/Panasonic console was $600...

Se7en

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jul 2006, 02:20 am »
The final street price was closer to $400, but the planned street price was $600, but it was also a year late (more like 1.5).

At then end of the day not many units were sold, and to be fair it wasn't the hardware costs that killed it, it was the software development costs due to it's 4 co-processors, compared to Playstation 1's 1 main processor.

The Saturn was in fact a faster machine (mathwise), but publishers could put out more product on the PS1 compared to the Saturn for the same money, this compounded by diminishing retail support for Sega hardware made an easy win for Sony for that round.

Se7en

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jul 2006, 02:21 am »
3do is another story altogether... :o