SW1X Audio Design DAC II NOS/R2R: USA Review Debut

Wig

SW1X Audio Design DAC II NOS/R2R: USA Review Debut
« on: 30 Mar 2018, 02:40 am »
It has been over 4 years since I have ventured back into the DAC arena, a cautious adventure being that I was never satisfied with the sound quality of the Lampizator Level 4, Berkeley Alpha and an Eastern Electric DAC.  All of them had their strong suits in one area or another but they were not at the level of my modified Modwright Sony 5400ES or Marantz SA8005 Tube CD Player.

I had been following the DAC threads for some time and was optimistic and hopeful that technology had improved or at least the deign implementation, so I private messaged a few knowledgeable members to get an idea on what they have heard and seen at shows and in their systems. After several suggestions and myself doing some reading and research on the different technologies, I decided that the Border Patrol with SPDIF would be my first entry back into the digital age.

The moment this DAC was installed into my system, I began to understand from my listening experiences that R2R was the DAC chip that provided an unmistakable level of musicality and toe-tapping emersion into the music. Now, I knew the direction that was set before me to find my reference DAC with R2R DAC Chips, Non-Over-sampling or filtering. I began to notice a trend in different approaches in the implementation/design of technologies and have heard through-out the Audiophile Community that Audio Note was the “Standard” in producing “Analogue Sounding” Digital to Analogue Conversion. The BP DAC solidified this in my mind, whose roots are also from Great Britain.

After discovering the similarities of these DACs, I decided to contact an Audiophile friend in Great Britain to determine if there were any DACS in the spot-light that was knocking on the doors or even beating the legendary Audio Note sound quality? He steered me to a small company that is taking Europe by storm and after a week of reading their philosophy and design implementation, I decided to contact the Founder, Managing Director & Chief Audio Engineer on which DAC would suit my system and yield the best sonics without spending an absorbent amount of money…
After making contact with Dr. Slawa, Roschkow, I took his recommendation on the SW1X Audio Design Dac II STD ($3,200) and I am in agreement with his Philosophy on design, implementation and many aspects I have never heard of but his knowledge is quite impressive to say the least and has been very responsive to all of my questions.

Here are some aspects of my DAC listed from http://sw1xad.co.uk/product/sw1x-dac-2/

SW1X Audio Design™ DAC II Features:
-Specially selected and harmonically matched component & material quality based on performance level 2 standard:
- AN Kaisei, Philips BC, Siemens capacitors, Allen Bradley resistors, complementary silver and copper wiring technique everywhere
- NOS (Non-oversampling –zero digital domain filtering) design
- Based on 2 x PCM56 K – the most refined and highest resolving sounding 16 bit DAC chips ever produced (yes, even cleaner and more refined than most 24/32bit Delta Sigma chips) directly connected to CS8414 S/PDIF receiver
- Active I/V conversion via a special transistor (with less than 10 Ohm input impedance) with the shortest signal path directly connected to the tube grid
- Single ended, anode follower, zero feedback, 6N6P/ECC88 double triode valve output stage
- Output stage signal decoupling capacitor options a) Bosch PIO or b)  Audio Note Copper Foil Mylar in Oil capacitor
- 6X5GT double diode valve rectified CLC (choke filtered) HV power supply
2 separate mains transformers for the DAC and the valve output stage circuits
Custom Germanium transistor based shunt voltage regulated power supplies around PCM56K circuit
Supports 24Bit/96kHz digital coaxial S/PDIF signal input
110/115/230/240V AC mains transformers

As a reference, I have been listening to my new CDs that I got as a gift for the past 4 months which includes The Touré’-Raichel Collective (The Tel Aviv Session), Audio Note Ambassador, Vincent Be’langer CD titled Pure Cello, Three Wishes For a Rose, Ma Xinhua (Cello), Feng, Dan (Piano) and The Spirit of Gambo, The Galaxy Recordings (Direct Cut Super Audio CD) which I am a big fan of string type instruments and in fact is what I primarily listen to and have a good grasp on any changes that could be discerned by implementing new equipment within my system.
My DAC II STD (13.5” W x 16” D x 5 ½” H) safely arrived from Great Britain, unit was packed very well and received in pristine condition. Digital inputs include AES/EBU and SPDIF and the Output RCA has 2 sets of RCAs which I imagine one set are Silver or Rhodium-Plated Copper and the other Copper, so you will have a choice in fine tuning the sound you prefer and not to mention the possibilities of tube rolling to ones’ desires… I also believe USB inputs are also available upon request.

I delayed my initial impressions after install since I was waiting to accomplish our daily nightly routines with the kids before settling down in front of my system, knowing that it is going to take hundreds of hours before the capacitors starts to form and settle in and another 50+ hours to hear the tubes at their best; 96 total hours on DAC II. I cued up the first track on The Tel Aviv Session, Acoustic Guitar followed by Pure Cello was blown AWAY! I was hearing things that were never hinted at on my previous playback and quite frankly, didn’t hear this wearing Audiophile head-phones. I was struck by the uncanny realism of musicians occupying a physical space within my listening environment, I am talking about spooky and a very satisfying experience. Details WAY in the background comes through in spades and imaging/sound-staging is Off-the-Charts! I am hearing the air between the bow and the Cello as it begins to swell and every note played from top to bottom is distinctly transparent, fingers between the fret of the Acoustic Guitar that captures re-verb, spatial cues, ambiance, tonality, speed, timbre, PRAT and the illusion of the very presence of these instruments occupying a three-dimensional space along with the musician.

This DAC has it all and Percussion Instruments as well as voices has the same attributes of sounding Life-Like, Natural, Organic or whatever term you use to describe, you have the feeling of being transported to the recording venue… You really begin to get a special appreciation for recorded music when you hear how a DAC like this SW1X Audio Design DAC II STD unravels the essence of the recording without altering the signal with up-sampling/over-sampling or applying filters. Implementing the DAC II STD into my system has been a revelation! I personally have never heard an Audio Note DAC and can only rely on those who have and the reviewer who has compared the DAC II side-by-side to the AN 2.1X and beat it, in fact, the DAC II held its own to the Uber expensive AN 4.1X and that says a lot about Dr. Slawa, Roschkow knowledge of circuit design, component matching and implementation, because the end result is all about the music…

www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/digital-reviews/spdif-dac-reviews/sw1x-dac-ii-special/

Being that I was going to receive a Reference DAC, I wanted a cable that would not restrict but compliment the performance of the DAC II STD and decided to go with SW1X Audio Design Aero 10 which utilizes 100 % Silver in its SPDIF Cables; most claim 100 % Silver in their advertising but to discover it is silver-plated or the ground or return conductor is copper or plated and in my estimation is not 100%. My supposedly 100 % Silver SPDIF Oyaide DR 510 knocked off a more expensive and customized Silver Cable in the areas of sound-staging, imaging, detail retrieval and just a better sounding cable across the board and retails for $350+. I was always under the impression that silver cables were bright, forward and analytical in their presentation but boy was I wrong. The Aero 10 is the best sounding Silver Cable I have ever heard and is in another stratosphere over the Oyaide. A very noticeable increase in spatial information, reverb, ambiance and detail retrieval is quite startling and at the same time sounds smooth, transparent, very organic and natural and this cable is not even close to being fully burned-in. From my cabling burn-in experience using a Audiodharma Cable cooker, it is at the 72-hour mark after removing the cable from the cooker when cable hits their sweet spot and I am needing another 48 hours to reach that point but will note more changes as the cable settles. Three days has passed since installing the Aero 10 and it is sounding beautiful, images are rock-solid and locked in place with a wide and deep sound-stage.

SW1X Audio Design has something special with their design and I believe that this is one of those DACS that will stay in your system for many years and the thought of chasing the latest chip will be quickly resolved upon powering up your SW1X DAC. This DAC and AERO 10 SPDIF Cable are “Highly Recommended”!

System Components:

Acoustic Zen Crescendo’s Loudspeakers
Don Sach’s DS2 6SN7 Tube Pre-Amplifier
Don Sach’s Kootenay 120 KT88 65 Watts Tube Amplifier
PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport
ModWright Marantz SA 8005 Tube CD Player (Current & Previous)
SW1X Audio Design DAC STD II
Equi-Core 1200 Balanced Power Plant

Cabling:

CH Acoustic X20 Power Cord
CH Acoustics X20 Anniversary Edition Interconnect
Teo Audio Ultra’s Liquid Metal Interconnect
Oyaide Black Mamba V2 Power Cords
Oyaide Tunami V2 Power Cord
Oyaide DR 510 Silver Digital SPDIF
Oyaide Tunami Nigor V2 Speaker Cables
Audio Design Aero 10 100 % Silver SPDIF
Gutwire Perfect Ground Cable
Audio Magic Blue Dot Premier Ground Disrupter

« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2018, 05:05 pm by Wig »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: SW1X Audio Design DAC II NOS/R2R: USA Review Debut
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2018, 10:31 am »
Cool beans, how much does something like this cost?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2018, 11:32 am »
3500 GBP according to the review.

Bumpy

« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2018, 12:15 pm »
I own the SW1X DAC II Signature in my system and it gives everything that the DAC II std does, but with even more magic. I spent over 55 years of my life, and many, many thousands of pounds assembling a system to give the best sound possible. I sold it all when I discovered Slawa's stuff.

In those 55 years I have met only two people that have really impressed me with their vision and application in the development of quality Hi Fi. The first was Peter Qvortrup of Audio Note UK, when he was just starting out in my home town Brighton way back, and the second is Slawa.

Wig

« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2018, 04:56 pm »
My DAC II STD was $3,200 plus shipping and of course, price will fluctuate based upon conversion rate. This is an Outstanding DAC that sound like music and the Signature Version has better matching of parts and some nice upgrades in those critical areas but the STD is truly a Top Tier DAC.

@ Bumpy

That's awesome and the two guys you mentioned knows their stuff and at the asking price for these DACS, in my opinion, is a Slam Dunk! Get in on a world-class DAC before the masses catch on and before the prices start rising...

Wig :) 
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2018, 10:52 pm by Wig »

orientalexpress

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2018, 03:32 am »
After wig review ,I decided to give a SW1X a try,I begin email dr Slawa ,after 2 weeks I place an order DAC 2 special.All I can said is WOW ,the acoustic instruments 🎻 sound so real,I been a lot Opera the last 2 year to hear the live orchestra and opera singers sing.The Dac bring you closer to the Real things .
Thanks to Wigs,I would never heard of this company. :thumb:

Lap

Wig

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2018, 04:27 am »
Lap,

Congrats on your new DAC and it will get better with time! I upgraded my 6N6P to a 1960 Foton Factory version recommended by Dr. Slawa and swopped the rectifier to a Tung-Sol and that also was a very nice improvement in imaging, sound-staging and richness...

Wig :)

OrangeCrush

« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2019, 04:36 am »
Anybody auditioned his USD to SPDIF converter?

Wig

« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2019, 04:53 am »
Anybody auditioned his USD to SPDIF converter?

I'm Redbook only and maybe someone has ordered one.

Wig

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #9 on: 5 Feb 2019, 05:04 am »
I've been researching half a dozen USB to SPDiF converters/interfaces ranging from $150 to $2400 and I'm no closer to making a decision. Slawa recommends his because he is certain of the synergy. He expressed concern that other units would easily lack symmetry/synergy thus creating inferior sound.

Edit: This thread is in the 'reviews circle, so my questions regarding converters doesn't belong here IMHO.   :nono: I'll repost in an appropriate thread.

Michael
« Last Edit: 5 Feb 2019, 12:26 pm by mresseguie »

lokie

« Reply #10 on: 5 Feb 2019, 01:57 pm »
Very interested in SW1X has to offer in the digital audio world.
Not sure why I'm even looking cause I love my Audio Note DAC. But I have had it for a few years and I have modded it up the point that it doesn't make since to throw any more money at it. With the NOS chip, these two companies certainly have the same DNA. 

Anyway... I have been around the block w SPDIF/USB convertors. AN DACs (both kit and UK)  can be configured with inboard convertors but they are after thoughts and easily beatable w outboard solutions. I have tried no less than 5 or 6  various convertors. Nothing above $500, so..??

Before I give you my recommendation let me say that, at least on paper, I'm pretty sure SW!X has an excellent solution. I thought the price was a bit high, so.... value is very personal thing. Sometimes its just better to pay the freight and not worry about it. Sometimes you look for a more value oriented solution. I've done both.

The USB/SPDIF convertor that just goes like peanut butter and jelly with NOS DAC's is the ART-Legato. The best way I can describe the sound is organic, no grain and very quiet. It is designed from head to toe for 44.1 kHz application. They use Gordon Rankins Streamlength Asynchronus technology along with a very low jitter clock. More good info on their website.  It is really head and shoulders above anything else I've tried and  have stopped rotating convertors.
The problem is... they stopped making them and they are hard to find. Once you do find them you need to send them back to ART and have them  re-tune and install new crystals. And then be patient as its a small shop. They are not a typical audio component manufacturer as they design  RF equipment. So, if you come at them with typical audiophile neuroses syndrome, they really wont suffer your foolery... be warned and act accordingly.  Neither the Legato or their services are expensive but its not an instant gratification thing. It is also advised to use their cabling. The convertor is not powered by the computer and one needs a cable that doesn't carry that power line... among other things about this cable but I cant remember. Again, not that expensive in audiophile terms but its not off the shelf w two day shipping kind of thing.

Last... please keep posting about the SW1XDAC. And if anyone who has one is in the Atlanta area, please bring it to my house... I would love to AB it w my AN DAC.

orientalexpress

« Reply #11 on: 5 Feb 2019, 03:31 pm »
I use ALLO DIGIONE signalture to convert my USB and i also use a transport for my CD.

OrangeCrush

« Reply #12 on: 5 Feb 2019, 07:59 pm »
I've been researching half a dozen USB to SPDiF converters/interfaces ranging from $150 to $2400 and I'm no closer to making a decision. Slawa recommends his because he is certain of the synergy. He expressed concern that other units would easily lack symmetry/synergy thus creating inferior sound.

Edit: This thread is in the 'reviews circle, so my questions regarding converters doesn't belong here IMHO.   :nono: I'll repost in an appropriate thread.

Michael

Sorry, I didn’t realize that either. :)

Last note on this thread. I have a ANK 4.1 LE and it is awesome. With the output transformers and V-Cap cutf  I have no interest in ever upgrading this DAC.  I currently use Allo Digione which has bested any other transport I have had (Bryston BDP2, Audiophilleo with PP). Before I buy the Digione Sig, just looking at my options.  What I like about AN, SW1X and Abbas Audio (these last two are affiliated) is they are lifetime purchases and you step off the digital uprade merry go round.  I regret never buying a A-RT Legato, especially version 2.5.

My main concern is these tube clock based converters are going to but high jitter by today’s standards and lowering jitter has always resulted in better sound for me.
« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2019, 01:09 am by OrangeCrush »

twodolphins

« Reply #13 on: 4 Jun 2019, 07:36 am »

Hello

Do you still own Abbas DAC ? I'm thinking about upgrading my current EAR DACute by new DAC so I'm looking for informations about Abbas and other tube DACs. Do you still like your Abbas DAC ? How it performs against other top high end DACs (Audio Note, Lampizator...) ? Thanks for sharing your toughts with me

Kind regards

Ocean

jespera

« Reply #14 on: 10 Aug 2020, 06:21 am »
I have an abbas dac 2.1se (approx 2000 usd) and its a killer. So far it has destroyed
an AN dac 5, plus various models from mytek, chord, mark levinson, and esoteric.
I have heard, though not directly compared to, top of the range models from dcs and
krell and I dont think they would have a chance.

I have never heard a lampizator but I would love to unleash my abbas against one
if there were one in my neighbourhood (copenhagen). Let me know.

Ive done a single modification to it and that was to replace the 5687 philips ecg valve with
a tung-sol.

Beware that the abbas dac is very critical of the digital source. The best digital source that
Ive heard is an abbas modified and tube clocked marantz cd 94 that I also own. With the abbas
digital cable and old AAD discs performance can be truly stellar.

Abbas also does tubed spdif converters and I own one. It does add life to the dull digital
sound but it is also very dependent on the what you feed it with. For this reason, as well as
space, I have gone full circle and Im now using a simple hifiberry dac+ pro. Which to my ears
(and under my conditions) is the best of the raspberry pi solutions.

I also own an abbas phono stage and a 1:10 sut. Both are highly recommended.

Jesper

« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2020, 09:28 am by jespera »

A_shah

« Reply #15 on: 10 Aug 2020, 09:20 am »
@ wig,
once I am tired of PS audio Directstream DAC or sell my Schiit gungnir DAC I will look into getting a SW1X DAC i believe Michael has one also I would like have Michael's detailed impressions on the DAC as he also own the Daedalus Apollo speakers

Asghar

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #16 on: 10 Aug 2020, 06:23 pm »
Ashgar,

I'm upgrading my SW1X DAC III to 'III+'. It will be just shy of the 'special' level, but it'll be close (and less expensive!). It's more or less the upgrade that Wig chose, but with a couple extras. I'm shipping it out this week, and hope to get it back inside of 8 weeks from now.

I owe you an email BTW.

Michael

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #17 on: 10 Aug 2020, 07:23 pm »
I have a PS Audio DS Jr. running Windom and have been very happy with it. I felt like its the last DAC I'll own, for awhile at least. However, I'm curious about NOS DACs, especially the SW1X DACs, or something similar. Wondering if anyone here who's had experience with both can comment? I mostly stream Tidal/Qobuz and don't care much about MQA or not. I actually think sample rate is highly overrated as I can't really tell a difference if something is 44.1, 96, DSD, etc. as long as the music is well recorded. I've A/B'd MQA vs non-MQA in real time and couldn't really distinguish a difference, at least not a meaningful one. So, while the DS Jr. upsamples everything to DSD I'm not convinced that makes the music sound better than 44.1, 48, 96, etc. Kind of like how an amp with 200wpc may not sound better than one with 20wpc.

Anyway, anyone with experience with both? Thoughts?