Questions regarding Modwright 999es

AudioMan

« on: 2 Oct 2005, 07:58 pm »
I recently bought a Modwright Sony 999es with signature truth mods and the cryo'd silver rev audio labs cable.   First of all, having previously owned a Arcam CD72 this player has absolutely blown me away.  For some reason I always thought that my money was better spent on better speakers, amps, cables etc.. and not my digital source.  Very happy with my purchase.   Here are my questions:

1. Has anyone experimented with any other tubes or are the TungSol 5687s the best match for this player?  I assume Dan tried a number of tubes before he settled on these but I am curious if anyone has tried any others.  

2. What power cords have people tried for the power source and the Player?  I am using 2 cables by Signal cable group currently-their amp cable for the power supply and their digital source power cable for the player.  Anyone experience any major upgrade in sound production with specific power cables?

3.  I am not sure if my power supply is the new version as of June 2004.  If it isnt, is it worth sending it in for the upgrade?  Also would it be worth upgrading the AC and Slipstream bybee filter mods to bring my player up to Platinum level signature truth?   I cant imagine this player getting better but I may be interested.    If it helps right now I am using a Consonance Integrated tube amp and my speakers are Alon Lotus Elites.    

Thanks

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #1 on: 2 Oct 2005, 08:57 pm »
Congrats on joining the 999ES Modwright club.  There is LOTS of feedback on this forum about tube rolling with this player, as well as power cords used.  Do a search.  I love the TungSols and the Amperex 7119's, but love the 7119's better.  My VHAudio pc's are great with the player.  

Ted