Introduction: Vette Guy

Vette guy

Introduction: Vette Guy
« on: 25 Sep 2022, 06:56 am »
Good to be here.  Like most, music lover who didn’t understand hi-fi until later in life.  Back in the 90’s, I found myself in a high-end stereo store with my boss at the time.  Noticed a set of B&W 801s being purchased.  Astonished, I asked the gentleman purchasing them if a pair of speakers were really worth that price.  He couldn’t have been more sure.  As for me, I was proud of my Infinity SM-150s and JVC receiver - they were loud!  Years later, I found myself with a wife who was not fond of these huge speakers, but liked the Bose cubes instead - they were a little more aesthetic.  It wasn’t until I listened to both side-by-side, that I understood how much was missing with the Bose.  Fast forward many years later and I convince my wife the Bose has to go.  I’d always remembered the B&W speakers from college, and purchased a set of 684s.  The salesman asked what would power these, and I informed him I was running a Yamaha.  Won’t work he said, find yourself a used Rotel at the very least.  While it didn’t make sense to me, and I was happy with everything, I found an amazing Rotel 2-channel receiver on CL, and my world changed forever. 
   I’ve been through a lot of Rotel gear with B&W 683/684/685s, until a sleepless night had me phone surfing Reverb, and looking for B&W 802 speakers - where I found a set of B&W 801 S3s, similar to the S2s that started my curiosity back in the 90s.  What I didn’t understand in my excitement to find a set in excellent condition, was the power requirement I just committed to.  While I wasn’t unhappy with the bi-amp setup of Rotel amps, I wasn’t satisfied either.  I read many reviews of how wonderful a speaker they can be, and knew I wasn’t there.  Lots of reading and considerations in selecting an amp or amps - but decided to find a set of Bryston 7B-SST2s.  The closest I came was finding a set of 7B-SSTs, which I’ve been super impressed with.  Still running a Rotel RC-1082 preamp with a set of Harmonic Technology interconnects.  As I realize this hobby never ends, I’m super interested in hearing a Bryston preamp as the next step!
   The journey has been a lot of fun, as has been the ability to share this passion with others.  I love watching the wow look on guests faces when they hear music through my evolving system.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Introduction: Vette Guy
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2022, 05:41 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Introduction: Vette Guy
« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2022, 01:36 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Vette guy   :thumb: