SW1X DAC III STD Unboxing and Impressions

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
SW1X DAC III STD Unboxing and Impressions
« on: 22 Mar 2019, 10:02 pm »
It's here!

Pics to follow. I'm reserving the first two replies for my content, so readers can get my impressions early in this thread.

First photos: I'll correct the orientation soon.

Considering how much I paid for this DAC, I am not impressed by the packaging. That said, there is no damage to the box nor the DAC.

« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2019, 01:09 am by mresseguie »

mresseguie

Re: SW1X DAC III STD Unboxing and Impressions
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2019, 10:03 pm »
Saved

The DAC is powered up. I have the Cherry DAC USB Converter attached. I'll let everything settle down, warm up, and just play music for a few hours.

Out of the box and not yet burned in, it sounds better than the Gustard X20u DAC. My dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC is in Taiwan, so I won't be able to compare its sound to this DAC.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

mresseguie

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2019, 10:03 pm »
Saved

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2019, 10:09 pm »
Never heard of it.  $5800 plus shipping?

http://sw1xad.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/SW1X_UK_price_list_2017.pdf

Would be nice if they showed some measurements instead of the rats nest in the pics.   :lol:

mresseguie

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2019, 10:21 pm »
Jason,

As one esoteric DAC owner to another esoteric DAC owner: I hadn't heard of your DAC until you posted about it either. :)

Since I do not live in the UK, I am not subject to the VAT.  :nono:

lokie

« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2019, 03:16 pm »
Thanks for sharing.
Interesting DAC.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2019, 04:04 pm »
Wow! Congrats Michael!  :thumb:

Definitely look forward to your thoughts and impressions. Hopefully one day you’ll be able to have another local get together and do a comparison with the Lampi Atlantic since they’re both in the same price range.

mresseguie

« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2019, 05:40 pm »
Wow! Congrats Michael!  :thumb:

Definitely look forward to your thoughts and impressions. Hopefully one day you’ll be able to have another local get together and do a comparison with the Lampi Atlantic since they’re both in the same price range.

Hi, Tommy!

You must be prescient. Sometime in the next month, Greg Fisk will drive down from Seattle. I do believe he will bring his Atlantic with him. I guess I could be persuaded to post impressions.  :)

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2019, 06:25 pm »
Hi, Tommy!

You must be prescient. Sometime in the next month, Greg Fisk will drive down from Seattle. I do believe he will bring his Atlantic with him. I guess I could be persuaded to post impressions.  :)

Awesome. I remember you guys comparing the Tranquility/Atlantic last year so that’s cool you get to do it again.

mresseguie

« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2019, 08:29 am »
Sorry for the delay, but my life has been too damned busy to post much here.

Greg Fisk will arrive tomorrow afternoon with his Lampi Atlantic, two amps, and some cables. This is going to be very interesting.

Stay tuned.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #10 on: 27 Apr 2019, 01:00 pm »

mresseguie

« Reply #11 on: 27 Apr 2019, 04:35 pm »
That get together was a blast. [They usually are.]

Greg and Alan were there. Steve and John came to visit as well. Steve is an AC member, but John isn’t. Steve has a large collection of vintage gear. John has his father’s vintage Mitsubishi gear with Kef LS-50 speakers. I hadn’t known Mitsubishi made audio gear.

Both the Lampizator Atlantic and the SW1X level III STD DAC are fantastic DACs. They are so revealing that we could hear differences between the different amps. Which amps? My Don Sachs Kootenay 120, an old Hafler XX280, Rouge Audio 1200as2, and Mivera purepower SE 1200as2. I forgot the Hafler’s correct name, so I used ‘XX’. The 280 is correct though.

The Hafler is a very nice sounding amp. This was my first time hearing one. Now I know why they have such a loyal following.

Personally, I thought the Lampi and the SW1X sounded nearly identical to my ears.

I’ll add more later. I’v got things to do this weekend and this must wait.   

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #12 on: 27 Apr 2019, 05:21 pm »
Not to sound wierd..... but why does a get toghter sometimes start with hide the cable?

I had to leave before the real fun.

Alan

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #13 on: 28 Apr 2019, 04:44 am »
Very nice guys! Thanks!

A_shah

« Reply #14 on: 29 Apr 2019, 02:41 am »
Not to sound wierd..... but why does a get toghter sometimes start with hide the cable?

I had to leave before the real fun.

Alan

Very nice ! you Gentleman must had a ball !
 Yesterday some one had placed an ad to sell a Kooteney 120 for 1/2 price !  on Audiogon ! I immediately bid for it but was told this morning it was already sold ! add was posted at 7.35 PM I bid around 9:30 Pm for it
Wig had told me about SW1X DAC's did some research on the net . they  looked very interesting  it but I already had the DirectStream DAC so I passed on it Wow ! comparing to Lamizator Atlantic & both sounded the Same !!! well than it must be a very impressive DAC  :thumb:

I am a big fan of cables so what cables do you use Michael

Asghar

fado

« Reply #15 on: 29 Apr 2019, 04:01 am »
Are the speakers Daedalus Apollo's?

mresseguie

« Reply #16 on: 29 Apr 2019, 06:31 am »
Fado,

Yes. These are Daedalus Apollo speakers. They are incredibly good speakers. I have to pinch myself periodically to verify I’m not dreaming.

Ashgar,

Most of the cables are Triode Wire Labs. I have one Obsession NCF powering my D Sachs Model 2; a Seven Plus powering my Pi Audio UberBUSS; a second Seven Plus from the UberBUSS to my Kootenay 120; and my dB Audio Labs DAC power cable powering my SW1X DAC plugged into the UberBUSS.

I haven’t experimented with the Obsession’s powering other components yet. I figured the Obsession would have the greatest impact on the preamp. I’m curious if it would help the DAC.

Later this summer I plan to try using 2 pairs of SAS Audio RCA cables. I don’t much care for the connectors on my TWL RCA cables. I do like the connectors on my SAS RCA cables. [Sorry, Pete.]

mresseguie

« Reply #17 on: 29 Apr 2019, 06:39 am »

Very nice ! you Gentleman must had a ball !
 Yesterday some one had placed an ad to sell a Kooteney 120 for 1/2 price !  on Audiogon ! I immediately bid for it but was told this morning it was already sold ! add was posted at 7.35 PM I bid around 9:30 Pm for it
Wig had told me about SW1X DAC's did some research on the net . they  looked very interesting  it but I already had the DirectStream DAC so I passed on it Wow ! comparing to Lamizator Atlantic & both sounded the Same !!! well than it must be a very impressive DAC  :thumb:

I am a big fan of cables so what cables do you use Michael

Asghar

Half price? That’s insane. I would have bid on it, too.

OrangeCrush

« Reply #18 on: 7 May 2019, 10:43 pm »
Any more SPDIF convertor comparisons?

mresseguie

« Reply #19 on: 7 May 2019, 10:59 pm »
I’m afraid the comparison between the Ciunas and AR.T converters is stalled because of a third tube’s misbehavior. I’m still relatively new to tubes, so I imagine I’ll have to get used to tubes dying at inopportune moments.

Michael