The new Quatro's are in da house!!

ctsooner

The new Quatro's are in da house!!
« on: 27 Apr 2017, 07:41 pm »
Thanks Johnny and Carlos (Audio Connections) and Richard.  My Audi Havana Black Quatro's are installed.  I will get pics up when I have some time.  Out of the box I'm blown away.  I have to break in the internal crossover on my Ayre as well as the speakers, but these are sick. 

I just got back from two long trips and lot's of audio stops, lmao.  Heard a ton of nice speakers and many for the first time again.  New impressions and some cemented.  The Quatro's are by far the best buy in the Vandersteen line and to my ears all of audio speakers. I now feel I have a high end system. I"m hearing tympani drums in various cuts that I have NevER HEARD.  I think my server and DAC are blowing me away.  I feel my Ayre QX5/20 went from a conservative 140watt (or whatever they are measured at) to a 200watter.  Just by freeing up using an active bass speaker has allowed the Ayre to do things I've not heard it do.  Must more detail and all of it with such ease. 

I'll let it keep breaking in and keep posting as I go.  Again, pics as soon as I can, but honestly, to me it's much prettier than the Magico S3 or the new Wilson's or B&W's.  My wife LOVES the look and she hates speakers in the room, lol.  Now onto some small room treatment tweaks and the electrician is coming over to install a dedicated set of lines and drop two small LED floods above each speaker on a separate switch so I can turn the lights off and have them lightly illuminate the speakers so I can see that metallic goldish black.  So cool.  Glad I upgraded. 

dminches

Re: The new Quatro's are in da house!!
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2017, 07:51 pm »
Congrats.  Post those pics!

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2017, 02:32 pm »
Do you know the internal wiring of these speakers and what speaker cable do you plan to use.

ctsooner

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2017, 11:12 pm »
Do you know the internal wiring of these speakers and what speaker cable do you plan to use.

What do you mean internal wiring?  I didn't ask them to change what they normally use.  I'm using the Audioquest Castle Rock in 8' lengths.  I will be trying out the Aspen as I've heard that may be even better resolution and warmer.  I asked Johnny to get a set to see how that sounds.  It may work better as it's a thicker cable gauge wise and I do internal biwiring. 

Using the Ayre AX5/20, with Ayre QX5/20.  I have Niagara balanced and Johnny put on a pair or AQ Water I had around the house and it's warmer by a bit maybe. I will go back to Niagara though (silver covered).  It will have more information and AQ does silver really well and if done properly it will sound warmer.

I also am using an AQ Niagara 1000 strip for power of everything other than the speakers subs and the amp.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2017, 01:32 am »
Which external crossover X-2, WX-2,  M5-HP or M7-HP are you using?

ctsooner

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2017, 02:03 pm »
I sent my AX5/20 back to Alex (when he was still at Ayre) and they built it directly into the amp.  They used the best components and the crossover is as good as you can get for a built in one. 

nrenter

« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2017, 02:25 am »
Plus, even with shipping, it's really inexpensive to have Ayre drop the caps into their integrateds.

ctsooner

« Reply #7 on: 1 May 2017, 12:40 am »
yea, I don't remember how much, but I was in SHOCK when I found out how little it was and I know that he brought it totally up to date IRT any small upgrades in components etc.. that companies always make.  I also was told that they used the components that would have been used in the 7 crossover, but that will be hard to tell.  Bottom line is that it's a cleaner look and I love how it sounds.

ctsooner

« Reply #8 on: 7 May 2017, 12:44 pm »
Wow is this speaker breaking in and sweetening up.  It's just got such an organic sound.  It's musical and now that I went back to my Niagara balanced interconnect it's much more detailed than the lesser cable.  Cable does make a difference.  I'm LOVING this semi active speaker.  Never heard bass in this room like this.  I can't believe that it's still so coherent and the bass has such tonality, but still sounds just like the bass when I ran my Treo's with it.  Don't know how he does it, but he doesn't' change the sound of the amp or sound as all.  Crazy.

RandyH

« Reply #9 on: 7 May 2017, 04:02 pm »
They do just get better and better.  There is an ease and flow of music that I have rarely experienced before.  Smooth yet detailed.  More than any other speaker I have owned they reward well recorded material.  They are good with all types of music but I am drawn more to jazz and classical, not so much because they don't "rock" but they reveal the naturalness, timber and nuance that is more easily revealed by acoustic instruments.  The bass is certainly great but actually not such of a step up from my previous system which included a REL Storm subwoofer.  If anything the depth of the bass may be a little less than with my subwoofer but the differences are subtle.  As well as the REL blended with my previous speakers, I think the Quatro is better blended and more cohesive.  Certainly the two built in and tunable subwoofers in the Quatro makes it easier to get the bass just right.  I have been having an issue with the amp in one of my subwoofers which Vandersteen and my dealer is in the process of resolving so lately I have unplugged the problem speaker and have been listening with the bass from just one speaker.  I can't really tell that there is a reduction in bass and am not able to localize the bass to the speaker that is producing it.  Looking forward to seeing photos of your new speakers and that exotic finish.

ctsooner

« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2017, 01:25 pm »
Holy crap have they been breaking in.  They are sounding huge, detailed, warm, deep, HIGH (yes the soundstage is very realistic as I'm using lot's of well recorded, high rez music with a world class server that Steven Nugent built for himself with a Paul Hynes LPS.  The speakers look incredible. I have pics posted on my FB site as well as on my AG systems page.  Here is my FB link.  Scroll down to see the post and pic.  https://www.facebook.com/ctsooner   

ctsooner

« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2017, 01:28 pm »

[/img]