Dick's HT3-based home theater set-up

jsalk

Dick's HT3-based home theater set-up
« on: 6 May 2007, 06:26 pm »
Dick wanted a full-blown HT3-based home theater set-up.  That meant HT3's for fronts and rears with an HTC center channel.  He chose bubinga for a finish and wanted solid wood baffles, trim and plinths as well.

Here are the results...

The front of one of the HT3's...

And a side shot...

And the HTC center channel...

It should be a pretty stunning home theater when finished!

Happy listening Dick!

- Jim

Woodsea

Re: Dick's HT3-based home theater set-up
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2007, 12:53 am »
 :drool:

Tweaker

« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2007, 01:04 am »
Who the heck could concentrate on a movie, I'd be staring mesmerized at the speakers!  :bowdown:

yooper

« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2007, 01:28 am »
Very nice Jim  aa

Dick, If you post here, I'm curious as to what kind of amplification you'll be using for HT.  I can't imagine how awesome 4 of the TC sounds drivers will sound in your room when watching a movie with deep, down and dirty LFE.  Should pressurize and equal out the room very well  :thumb:

Mark

rcarlton

• Mr. Waddles listening to the K-horns.
    • Ron Carlton's webpage
« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2007, 02:29 am »
Gotta love Bubinga.

dmorse

« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2007, 04:01 pm »
Very nice Jim  aa

Dick, If you post here, I'm curious as to what kind of amplification you'll be using for HT.  I can't imagine how awesome 4 of the TC sounds drivers will sound in your room when watching a movie with deep, down and dirty LFE.  Should pressurize and equal out the room very well  :thumb:

Mark

dmorse

« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2007, 04:10 pm »
It is a beutiful setup. It is supposed to arrive thursday or friday and I am sure it will look even better than the pictures. My Equipment:
Anthem D2
Anthem P5
Anthen PVA2 for the rears
2 Studio 20's rears (very seldom use them)
Oppo 970
Toshiba XA1
Denon CD changer (soon to be replaced)
YamahaC950 SACD 5 disc changer
Hughs H10
2 SVS PB12/2
SMS-1
Jim's setup of HT3's and HTC
javascript:void(0);

Dick

sts9fan

« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2007, 04:25 pm »
Seems kinda silly.  Do you really need fullranger for the back??

sts9fan

« Reply #8 on: 7 May 2007, 04:41 pm »
Then why not get five?

dmorse

« Reply #9 on: 7 May 2007, 05:14 pm »
Yes, Plasma in the way. No wife. Listen to mostly SACDand DVD-A, Because I wanted them, and still have some money in the bank. Also I am old and this is probably my last set of speakers.

Dick

ctviggen

« Reply #10 on: 7 May 2007, 05:37 pm »
Yes, one that's better than 99.99 (or 99.999999) percent of the audio portion of the HT systems out there.  It should rock, particularly if you can fit those SVS subs in there somehow. 

dmorse

« Reply #11 on: 7 May 2007, 06:21 pm »
Also the other reason for 4 HT#'s is all of my 2 channel listening is done with Anthem logic which uses all 4 speakers and the subs but cuts out the center channel. Much better than standard surround modes. Also if I had knowm Jim could make a HT3 center channel (horizontaly mounted) befor I placed my order I probably would have ordered it. I prefer all my speakers to be matched all the way around. I may still consider that. I don't even use the SMS-1 as an eq. I use it only to tune the subs using only my D2 crossovers and the volume and phase adjustment on the subs. Along with 14 bass traps I can get +/-4db from 19hzthru 120hz without any eq.

Dick

jsalk

« Reply #12 on: 7 May 2007, 06:44 pm »
Dick -

Also if I had knowm Jim could make a HT3 center channel (horizontaly mounted) befor I placed my order I probably would have ordered it.

Dick

Don't worry.  If you decide later that you need a 3-way center HT3-type center channel, we'll take care of you.

I have been thinking lately about a large 3-way Veracity center channel.  The most workable format is wtmw.  With two 10" sub drivers (the same as used in the HT3's) I think it would be too large.  So I have been talking with TC Sounds about developing a special 8" driver for this application.  Two 8" drivers along with the W18 and G2 would make a rather large, but wonderful, center channel.

Much of what we do is custom work.  We just started work on a significant home theater project in the Boston area.  It will have three HT3's and two VERY LARGE subwoofers up front behind a perforated screen.  We got some of the screen material to see if the crossover would need a little tweaking for optimum results.

The customer wanted dipole/bipole speakers on the sides, so we started developing those as well.  And he also wanted custom HT1's for the rear channels.

Both the dipole/bipole and HT1 speakers will be custom designed to minimize depth as they will be mounted in cloth-covered columns. 

In the end, none of the speakers will be visible. 

This should be an awesome home theater setup.  I better get back to work on it...

- Jim

yooper

« Reply #13 on: 7 May 2007, 06:45 pm »
I can get +/-4db from 19hzthru 120hz without any eq.

Dick

Wow, that is impressive.  When you put your new Salk's in place, and if you can, take a pic and toss up a couple photos.   Be sure to let us know if you do, I'd like to see your room, especially with 4 HT3's loading the room.

Mark

zoestanley

« Reply #14 on: 8 May 2007, 11:26 pm »
i am building a house and therefore a new h/t room.  the ht3s seem like a great speaker from what i can find out.  i was thinking of going with the wilson sophias but am very tempted now to go with the salk.  i am planning on using the anthem d2 as well.  i have heard so many different opinions with regard to which amps to use i am about to pull my hair out.  i cant try out 100 different amps with speakers that haven't been built and an a/v processor that no dealer has in stock.  help!  i was very intrigued to see that you were using the anthem d2 as well as the amp.  i considered sunfire and several other amps but don't know which would be best.  any help appreciated.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #15 on: 9 May 2007, 01:34 am »
Congrats on a beautiful setup.  I'm working with Jim on the HT he just mentioned and am looking forward to seeing it to fruition.  I'm sure it will be a tremendous installation when completed.

Bryan

jsalk

« Reply #16 on: 9 May 2007, 12:15 pm »
zoestanley -

i am building a house and therefore a new h/t room.  the ht3s seem like a great speaker from what i can find out.  i was thinking of going with the wilson sophias but am very tempted now to go with the salk.  i am planning on using the anthem d2 as well.  i have heard so many different opinions with regard to which amps to use i am about to pull my hair out.  i cant try out 100 different amps with speakers that haven't been built and an a/v processor that no dealer has in stock.  help!  i was very intrigued to see that you were using the anthem d2 as well as the amp.  i considered sunfire and several other amps but don't know which would be best.  any help appreciated.
You may want to post your questions in a new thread.  I'm sure that a number of people will have comments for you.

- Jim

Big Red Machine

« Reply #17 on: 9 May 2007, 12:29 pm »

Save your money over the Sophia's, nice speaker but way more money with less overall good sound than the HT3's.

I am not impressed with the D2 except for versatility.  I am planning on upgrading to the Cary Cinema 11 for sound and future versatility with the HDMI unit that will mate with it in 2008.  

Amps for HT are less critical to me than 2 channel as I'm enveloped in the movie and not critiquing my sound as I do in 2 channel mindset.  Although I want the Cary pre for sound and features, I would suspect any respectable 5 or 7 channel amp would suffice.  I use an Emotiva and love that beast.

dmorse

« Reply #18 on: 11 May 2007, 03:53 am »
They arrived today. I am totally at a loss for words to describe the differecne in sound. My plinths and accessories arrived 2 days earlier so I had 2 days to listen to Jim's cd. I wanted to get used to the sounds so I could do a comparison with my existing Paradigm's. The difference was enormous. The bass is so tight with no boominess at all. just a sharp jab. The ribbons are the first I have heard, and believe me you hear much more. On the opening song I never heard the birds chirping. Now they are distinct. Before i turned anyy music on I set distance and balance with the D2. I then set the mic up for the SMS and muted the subs. can you say very flat line. There is no drop off at 40 or 50hz , itis a gradual step down. After that I un muted the subs and it went flat over to 30hz with a5db bump at 25. Then I hit cd and it almost brought tears to my eyes. Never ever heard such tight'clean sound. Next I had to play my most listen to SACD, Roxy music Avalon.
Again I heard sound and vocals I was missign before. I really want to try some HD-Dvd's but I can't turn the music off yet. I am not even going to start on the master craftmanship of hte cabinetry. The pictures do not do justice. What a Happy day. I am sure I will i will have more after I recover and i will send some pic's of the Great room where I have them.
P.S Jim, you may want to consider on sending out your cd a week or 2 before the speakers are shipped. Nobody will ever need to do a A B comparison. Can't thank you enough.  Dick

brj

« Reply #19 on: 11 May 2007, 05:47 am »
Quote from: dmorse
I then set the mic up for the SMS and muted the subs. can you say very flat line. There is no drop off at 40 or 50hz , itis a gradual step down. After that I un muted the subs and it went flat over to 30hz with a5db bump at 25.

Several HT3 owners have reported in-room measurements flat down to 25 Hz.  If you were only getting a response down to 40 or 50 Hz, I'm guessing you had some sort of crossover set in your pre-pro.  You might want to change that setting and see how low the HT3s can play all alone - you may find the subs unnecessary.

Quote from: dmorse
P.S Jim, you may want to consider on sending out your cd a week or 2 before the speakers are shipped. Nobody will ever need to do a A B comparison.

That's a good idea...

Enjoy your new system!