David's tricked-out HT3's (higher rez)

jsalk

David's tricked-out HT3's (higher rez)
« on: 19 Apr 2007, 01:35 am »
David wanted an extra-special pair of HT3's.  He wanted African bubinga.  He wanted a solid wood front baffle.  He wanted a hand-rubbed, high-gloss finish. He wanted outboard crossover enclosures wired so that he could tri-amp his speakers (and use them with DEQX).

We searched an found a very nice (expensive) piece of highly figured solid bubinga and went to work.

A while ago, someone asked if I could post higher resolution photos.  So this one is higher than normal.  If you would like even higher-rez photos, let me know (I can accommodate since I decrease the resolution as a practice to reduce file size).

Here is a picture...

Happy listening David!

- Jim

RAW

Re: David's tricked-out HT3's (higher rez)
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2007, 01:49 am »
Jim :o

Those do look nice.
Nice work.
Well nothing but the norm for you :bowdown:

Meicheng

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2007, 01:53 am »
Stunning!  I marvel at your woodwork and very much enjoy the photos you post of customers' speakers. 

carusoracer

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2007, 02:11 am »
Jim,

Your photo skills match your speaker craftmanship. Nice!

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2007, 02:13 am »
wow - these are nearly identical to my ht3s
I better go check my music room
same woodwork, full baffle but David's have the external crossovers

I know you will love them David

excellent work Jim! bravo

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2007, 03:35 am »
Simply awesome!

Cheers

AudioFanKJ

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2007, 03:41 am »
Jim, yet another superb looking speaker, one that looks *very* close to a pair I was quite fond of!  :)

Congratulations to both Jim & David...

brj

« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2007, 03:47 am »
Very nice looking speakers!  And thanks for the higher res images!

I really do like the full length baffle look - very clean.  That appears to be a single full length board, which must have been a challenge to find!  (I like the figuring on my own HT3 baffles, but wish we had managed to find a piece large enough to run full length.)  Of course, the partial baffle and matching plinth/trim works really well when you have contrasting woods or colors.

Jim, any chance of a picture of David's external crossovers?  I'm curious about how the wiring has evolved since earlier pairs.  Thanks!

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 19 Apr 2007, 03:51 am »
Jim, any chance of a picture of David's external crossovers?  I'm curious about how the wiring has evolved since earlier pairs.  Thanks!
Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos and they are already packed for shipment.  I'll keep it in mind for the next pair with external crossovers.

- Jim

vanderstephen

« Reply #9 on: 19 Apr 2007, 04:22 am »
My goodness. I'm not usually one to comment (just quietly view in amazement of your work), but this pic is just too amazing. very well done. :thumb:

Papajin

« Reply #10 on: 19 Apr 2007, 07:58 am »
Love the higher rez photos!  Would be awesome if you posted the low rez ones here, with a link to the full rez versions so we could see 'em in their full glory if we want. :)

Toka

« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr 2007, 03:39 pm »
Absolutely gorgeous!!  :o

mr_bill

« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr 2007, 06:26 pm »
Jim,,
What is the price of these beautiful speakers?  I wouldn't need the outboard special crossovers.
Thanks,
Bill

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr 2007, 06:40 pm »
:notworthy: Beautiful, Absolutely Beautiful.  A++   :thumb:

texas steve

« Reply #14 on: 19 Apr 2007, 10:02 pm »
Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos and they are already packed for shipment.  I'll keep it in mind for the next pair with external crossovers.

- Jim

STUNNING speakers!   WOW!!!  Great work Jim!

jsalk

« Reply #15 on: 20 Apr 2007, 02:49 am »
Bill -

Jim,,
What is the price of these beautiful speakers?  I wouldn't need the outboard special crossovers.
Thanks,
Bill

Let's see...

Starting from a base price of $4995 )full-blown cabinet with plinths, spikes, cardas binding posts, etc.), we would need to find a nice piece of wide and long figured bubinga.  I would estimate that this would be about $600, although it could be quite a bit higher or lower depending on the specific board.  There is about $300 in additional labor involved in constructing and finishing a full-length baffle such as this.  And the hand-rubbed, high-gloss finish adds another $1200 in finishing materials and labor.

So the total would be around $7100 for a pair such as this without the outboard crossover enclosures.

For the same basic look without the round-over on the woofer, you would simply veneer the front panel and save about $1000.  And a standard satin finish would reduce the cost by another $1200.

For your information, none of the add-ons have any sonic impact.

I hope that answers your question.

- Jim

bobbies

« Reply #16 on: 26 Apr 2007, 09:59 pm »
Jim, I had a great compliment I want to pass on to you. A professional musician I play with was over to play bass together. I am playing your speakers when he stops by. The HT3s are driven in bi-amp . A Symphonic Line CDP is the source and out to a  Odyssey Pre amp to  a Symphonic Line KRAFT 250(modded at the factory to the Kraft 300 specs) for the mids and highs and two Mono Extreme SE Odyssey amps for the bass. Many people on this forum know these components or at least the Odyssey (Plug for Klaus  :wink:.

The Kraft 300 is some incredible amp (Class A) and extremely smooth. The bottom line is I have never heard this system sound so clear and articulate. The bass is just "right". My muscian friend was astounded. Now this guy, like you, has a professional ear. While not an audiophile, he can hear the difference between a cord with a raised fourth or flatted 7th. This guy said, "he has never heard speakers like yours, ok, ok Klaus a little credit is due to the rest of the components and Rolf Germaine.  No doubt the speakers in IMHO are  very important. Jim, great work. I can't wait to hear when they are all dialed in and I go fully active with the Deqx front end to 6 channels!

We thought we would record some Jazz and play your speakers in the background - we will send the file when we finish to you.

Anyone reading this who may be considering the HT3s- these are outstanding, the service is great and price fair for all the Tricking -out that Jim provided such as OXO.

Also BTW: The sample Ray Charles you sent with the HT3s is outstanding!

Best Regards, Bobbies

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #17 on: 26 Apr 2007, 11:47 pm »
Interesting set up.  So--you're using the existing passive crossover, and that means you can control the woofer level separately?  If so, how do you have the woofer gain set?  Did you feel you had to back off the woofer level in relation to the mid-tweet level?  How large is your room?    Thanks.

NealH

« Reply #18 on: 27 Apr 2007, 12:00 am »
My jaw just hit the floor when I opened this thread.  Who ever is doing your woodwork deserves a raise. 

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #19 on: 27 Apr 2007, 12:11 am »
It is Jim Himself!!! 

I have seen some of the stuff in person, simply awesome!!

Bravo!