My System Sounds Like Crap

WGH

Re: My System Sounds Like Crap
« Reply #20 on: 8 Jul 2012, 12:33 am »
NOW WE'RE ROCKIN'

The lousy sound was bugging me so I grabbed a screwdriver to see what makes these JBL 2500's tick. Guess what? Both tweeters were unplugged, that is so frigging strange. The 2500's has a minimal crossover with just 3 elements, there is a .82mH inductor in series with the midrange and combine that with no tweeter it makes sense the sound sucked big time.

I previously used the Pinnacle Digital Sub 150 just for movies to add the necessary rumble but these JBL's can use a little more bottom end so the sub has been put into full time service.

The sound is now slightly above average mid-fi level and truthfully still better than any of my friends systems. When my real system is set up they are pretty much left speechless.

Wayne

taoggniklat

« Reply #21 on: 26 Jul 2012, 10:32 pm »
Clearly you need some cable lifts.

Nuance

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jul 2012, 04:57 pm »
Ha - that's funny, Wayne.  I am glad things are sounding better for you.

sfox7076

« Reply #23 on: 27 Jul 2012, 11:16 pm »
I have read about a ton of people having tweeters unplugged.  How do you not notice?  I don't know and am not accusing, but it seems to happen a lot.

WGH

« Reply #24 on: 28 Jul 2012, 12:00 am »
I have read about a ton of people having tweeters unplugged.  How do you not notice?  I don't know and am not accusing, but it seems to happen a lot.

A friend had speakers with foam rot so I bought these JBL speakers at a yard sale as temporary replacements. I never seriously listened to them until I set them up in my house. The highs were missing and there was no clarity to the sound, speech was harder to understand too. Without a point of reference it is very hard to listen to speakers you never heard before and know if anything is wrong. As an example, Friday afternoon at RMAF can sound lot different than Sunday afternoon.

I opened them up to see if a crossover part was toasted but the fix was a lot easier, just push the clips back on both tweeter terminals in each speaker. Even with everything working Salk speakers still have them beat (by a mile).

Wayne

sfox7076

« Reply #25 on: 28 Jul 2012, 11:27 pm »
Someone came to hear my Salk SongTower RTs (selling them) and complained the mid-range was missing from the speakers.  I guess we all hear differently.  Anyway, I was not being accusatory, I just don't know how these tweeters all get disconnected.  Someone else is coming to listen to the STs tomorrow, so we will see what happens.

Nuance

« Reply #26 on: 29 Jul 2012, 01:11 am »
Someone came to hear my Salk SongTower RTs (selling them) and complained the mid-range was missing from the speakers.  I guess we all hear differently.  Anyway, I was not being accusatory, I just don't know how these tweeters all get disconnected.  Someone else is coming to listen to the STs tomorrow, so we will see what happens.

^ Very odd.

ricardojoa

« Reply #27 on: 29 Jul 2012, 01:20 am »
maybe he was too impressed but didnt want to show his reaction.

Saturn94

« Reply #28 on: 29 Jul 2012, 01:33 am »
Someone came to hear my Salk SongTower RTs (selling them) and complained the mid-range was missing from the speakers......

That's the first time I've heard/read a comment like that about Salks. :?

I guess he just didn't like them.

bryede

« Reply #29 on: 13 Aug 2012, 03:27 am »
Someone came to hear my Salk SongTower RTs (selling them) and complained the mid-range was missing from the speakers.  I guess we all hear differently.
I find it tricky to evaluate speakers (or any audio gear) in a short span of time. The first thing I always hear are the differences from what I'm used to. Sometimes it takes a little time to figure out if it's more right or wrong.

Paul K.

« Reply #30 on: 13 Aug 2012, 01:33 pm »
Which is also the reason IMO that so many people claim speakers have to be broken in for hundreds of hours, when in reality it's their ears that are becoming adjusted to differences from what they're used to, instead of the speakers needing all that time to break in.
Paul

I find it tricky to evaluate speakers (or any audio gear) in a short span of time. The first thing I always hear are the differences from what I'm used to. Sometimes it takes a little time to figure out if it's more right or wrong.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #31 on: 13 Aug 2012, 01:56 pm »

Paul K.

« Reply #32 on: 13 Aug 2012, 02:10 pm »
Sorry, I've read that more than once but my ears and listening experiences tell me something quite different.  Without putting words in his mouth or trying to pull him into a flame war on this subject, I believe Jim Salk has also said driver break-in occurs very rapidly.  Remember I said "IMO"; each person is entitled to their opinion.
Paul

Driver burn-in facts.

http://www.gr-research.com/burnin.htm