Song3's arrived!

DFpritchard

Re: Song3's arrived!
« Reply #20 on: 7 Jun 2018, 08:40 pm »
I know it's off topic, but is that the 15 year old Laphroaig in your cabinet?  What a great dram.  I used to like their #1 Prime but discontinued now.  Have you tried Caol Isla?

Back on topic: I have great expectations for the Song3 Halo combination.  Can't wait to hear the RAAL, especially in voice reproduction (Eva Cassidy, Arthur Cormack) and solo strings (Kartik Seshadri/sitar).  Impressions to come, probably another 4-6 weeks.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #21 on: 7 Jun 2018, 09:43 pm »
I know it's off topic, but is that the 15 year old Laphroaig in your cabinet?  What a great dram.  I used to like their #1 Prime but discontinued now.  Have you tried Caol Isla?

Back on topic: I have great expectations for the Song3 Halo combination.  Can't wait to hear the RAAL, especially in voice reproduction (Eva Cassidy, Arthur Cormack) and solo strings (Kartik Seshadri/sitar).  Impressions to come, probably another 4-6 weeks.

Yup, Laphroaig 15. I've had it awhile. Big and bold. I remember one of the first single malts I tried was the Laphroaig 12 and it felt like I licked a fresh cut tree.The 15 is much more refined. Definitely an acquired taste. I did have a Caol Isla 18. Smmmmmooooottthhh. Special bottle. However, my favorite all around is the Lagavulin 16. I don't drink scotch as much as I used to, but the Lagavulin just has so much going on. Also smokey and peaty but rich. I like adding a couple drops in manhattans for a touch of smokiness and depth.

Vocals through the RAAL are a revelation. The tweeter is so fast there is virtually no ringing or overhang which creates amazing realism and depth. You can almost feel the breath of the singer. I'm used to turning on music and opening my laptop to check emails and screw around, but I'm having trouble doing this as I'm finding myself unable to multitask because the sound is so startling. I'm often just closing my laptop and listening.

One of my favorite recent music discoveries (discovery for me at least) is Anour Brahem. His album Blue Maqams is one of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard, and makes amazing demo material. I've been listening to all his albums on Tidal and they're all great, but Blue Maqams and Astounding Eyes of Rita really stand out for me. Stunning. Check them out. Never heard of Kartik Seshadri but next time I sit down I'll look him up.

geowak

« Reply #22 on: 7 Jun 2018, 10:14 pm »
abd1. Just wondering after looking at all the many models and configurations Salk makes, how did you decide on the Song 3? If I wanted a Salk speaker I would never be able to pick a model and finish?!?!

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #23 on: 7 Jun 2018, 10:35 pm »
abd1. Just wondering after looking at all the many models and configurations Salk makes, how did you decide on the Song 3? If I wanted a Salk speaker I would never be able to pick a model and finish?!?!

I had Songtowers so I know what they offered. Someone locally had a pair of SCST's up for sale so I was able to demo those and was tempted, but I wanted a bit more bass. I really wanted to stay under $4k and I felt like the Song3's or Song3-A's were my best choice. I listened to other major brands, but I knew I wanted Salks and I feel like I'm getting a speaker that performs like a $5k+ speaker for about 40% less $$$. I was originally going to get Song3-A's, but after talking to Jim and thinking about how I listen to music I just felt like they may be too revealing for me, and I'm glad I didn't get them. I'm sure they're amazing, but the regular Song3's are as revealing as I need. Songs just sound different and I could see where a super revealing speaker may take some of the musicality out, at least for me. Plus, I made other improvements to my system so the $800 I didn't spend on the 3-A's went towards that.

birbygdad

« Reply #24 on: 8 Jun 2018, 04:23 am »
Congrats on the Song 3s. I've had mine about 5 months now. Absolutely happy with them. I use Dave Belles' Aria preamp and his Reference 150 power amp. For sources there is a Scout with a Denon 103 and a nice Marantz 8005 cd player. The Song3s are the stars of the show. Had another old hifi nut listen to Time Out on them and he said he'd never heard that record sound better. I think you will enjoy your music through them immensely. Plus it is quite cool to get the best quality speaker available for what the Salk client pays. Enjoy!