Manic Moose status of replacement and question.

gbaby

Re: Manic Moose status of replacement and question.
« Reply #40 on: 2 Dec 2022, 06:28 pm »
Your ecosystem choice is yours and not relevant to the discussion.  Yes, if there is an error message there is something wrong, but no, it does have something to do with MM since it

Come on, man. You can't be serious. :duh:

vonnie123

« Reply #41 on: 3 Dec 2022, 03:03 am »
Saying MM is "past" its sale date and should be sent to the scrap heap is harsh and show disrespect for the work done to make it perform for numerous products. I don't like the other interfaces mentioned as they are too busy looking in my subjective opinion. So far, the only reasons I've heard for changing MM is for minor glitches and aesthetics. Is this really enough reasons to change? Heck no.

A good percentage of people looking for a quality streamer would likely be steered to other options.  The BDPs are usable in Roon firmware, but standalone MM is clunky and outdated.  Yes it works, but past that it's limited.   I've had two BDP-1s and replaced them with factory installed IAD BDP-2s.  Aurender, Auralic, and other stremers have more modernized firmware interfaces that leave MM far behind.  It's just a fact.  MM needs to be replaced.  Bryston might be well served by outsourcing the firmware upgrades, or utilizing another manufacturers existing firmware.

GSDaudio

« Reply #42 on: 3 Dec 2022, 12:37 pm »
  Bryston might be well served by outsourcing the firmware upgrades, or utilizing another manufacturers existing firmware.

I think that's the true issue....they don't want to pay for and be beholden to another company's technology....that's why MM is stuck running an ancient version of open-source MPD.

J2Ordan

« Reply #43 on: 3 Dec 2022, 08:16 pm »
Well, as always, another spirited discussion on the Moose.
Alanford, you asked for an elaboration on my ROON experience.

I will say that ROON is an incredible piece of software. It scanned my collection of ripped CD's and Qobuz selections then arranged all in a nice neat interface. One can then get all kinds of additional information on the albums, musicians and other folks involved in the production. It also went to Qobuz and found other selections from these people. The sound quality as mentioned was not as good as the Moose playing files from the built in SSD or Qobuz. In a word, the sound was compressed. Sound stage was not as expansive, less separation between the instruments and vocals not as clean.

There are many approaches to using ROON. I tried two. The first had everything ROON (Core, music files and remote) on a laptop. All was connected via WiFi. Laptop to BDP3. The BDP 3 has the built in WiFi, not the dongle. I then put the ROON core on a desktop computer with the music files on an external HD USBed to the desktop. The desktop was wired with Ethernet, not WiFi. The laptop was now just used as a remote control and the BDP3 an endpoint both via WiFi. This approach had better sound but still not up to the stand alone BDP  3 controlled by the Moose.

I surmise that had the BDP been connected via Ethernet, the SQ may have further improved. At that point however, I stopped the experiment. No desire to get crazy with audiophile dingle-berries; fancy cabling, exotic power supplies, Ethernet filters, over the top vibration control etc. etc.

I use Qobuz like FM radio of years ago. Very decent SQ, a great variety of sounds and then if I really like a particular album, I'll buy it and rip it. After which, all is grand via the BDP3, Moose at the controls.

Enjoy the Sounds!

John

gbaby

« Reply #44 on: 3 Dec 2022, 09:23 pm »
The interfaces you folks like on the Aurender and Auralic units with features comparable to the BDP3 cost 6 and 8k. Are you willing to pay 2k extra for your novelties that do not enhance the sound? I don't understand subjective terms like clunky and outdated. Its like being spoiled; monkey see monkey do. The only things I understand is what works. If the cost of entry was like the other brands, I would not be enjoying the BDP3. Maybe for you dissatisfied folks, the BDP3 is simply not for you. However, I, for one, could not afford a BDP3 capable streamer if not for Bryston.

alanford69

« Reply #45 on: 3 Dec 2022, 10:18 pm »
The interfaces you folks like on the Aurender and Auralic units with features comparable to the BDP3 cost 6 and 8k. Are you willing to pay 2k extra for your novelties that do not enhance the sound?
Are you sure? In Italy Auralic starts from 1,600 Eur and the player control software is the same of the one you find in bigger models. I never tried it but I read great reviews also about BlueOS which is a player control software you can find in models below 1000 Eur.

As I said: the user experience is part of the package when talking about network players and vendors are taking it very seriously. That said I am eager to see the new OS3!!

gbaby

« Reply #46 on: 3 Dec 2022, 10:24 pm »
Are you sure? In Italy Auralic starts from 1,600 Eur and the player control software is the same of the one you find in bigger models. I never tried it but I read great reviews also about BlueOS which is a player control software you can find in models below 1000 Eur.

As I said: the user experience is part of the package when talking about network players and vendors are taking it very seriously. That said I am eager to see the new OS3!!

But, doe it have AES, USB, HDMI Coaxial, BNC and optical outputs?

alanford69

« Reply #47 on: 4 Dec 2022, 12:10 am »
But, doe it have AES, USB, HDMI Coaxial, BNC and optical outputs?

a few of them... but we are not discussing the device, we like Bryston and we don't want to change, no doubts.
We are talking only of the software that governs the network player.

gbaby

« Reply #48 on: 4 Dec 2022, 01:26 am »
a few of them... but we are not discussing the device, we like Bryston and we don't want to change, no doubts.
We are talking only of the software that governs the network player.

This unit is still $1,600.00 to $2,000.00 more the the BDP3 which is my point. Would you be willing to pay this extra money for the BDP3 to perform with the same interface as this unit?

alanford69

« Reply #49 on: 4 Dec 2022, 01:57 am »
This unit is still $1,600.00 to $2,000.00 more the the BDP3 which is my point. Would you be willing to pay this extra money for the BDP3 to perform with the same interface as this unit?

I think we have different prices in mind... here the BDP-3 official price is €6,510.00 while the Auralic Aries ranges from € 2,899.00 to € 5,799.00

galyons

« Reply #50 on: 4 Dec 2022, 05:47 am »
The interfaces you folks like on the Aurender and Auralic units with features comparable to the BDP3 cost 6 and 8k. Are you willing to pay 2k extra for your novelties that do not enhance the sound? I don't understand subjective terms like clunky and outdated. Its like being spoiled; monkey see monkey do. The only things I understand is what works. If the cost of entry was like the other brands, I would not be enjoying the BDP3. Maybe for you dissatisfied folks, the BDP3 is simply not for you. However, I, for one, could not afford a BDP3 capable streamer if not for Bryston.

This is an unfortunately misinformed post. Sadly it appears to, stereotypically, be a fanboy blatantly grasping for a strawman.  I used the Auralic Aries Femto and G.1 prior to the acquisition of the BDP-3.  Lightening DS is a vastly superior user interface, compared to MM, in almost every aspect, but especially the qobuz integration.  The same interface was, and still is, available on Auralic's least expensive streamer and its most expensive. I had the Aries for almost 5 years before upgrading to the G1.  I had wifi card issues with the Aries and main board issues with the G.1.  That lead me to sell G.1 once it was repaired. I still use the Aries Femto in a second system. I never had issues with the Lightning DS interface, other than being forced, kicking and screaming, back to iOS.

The BPD-3 is better sounding, especially onboard stored files,  and the individual board architecture is far more desirable, IME!  I live with MM. I appreciate that it is a web interface as I was bludgeoned back into the Apple ecosystem to use Auralic's Lightening DS.  The fact that Auralic was never able to deliver the Android interface, as promised, is a clue to how difficult the development and maintenance of a quality interface is. But honestly the indication that MM was going to be replaced was a deciding factor in my purchasing the BDP-3. I am still a newbie using MM, so I probably share some of the blame for the issues I have.  But I do not see familiarity solving the issues I have with the qobuz interface. 

Just my thoughts, and as is the case most often, YMMV.

Cheers,
Geary

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #51 on: 4 Dec 2022, 12:38 pm »
Hi Folks

We are still working on OS3 software but it is taking quite a while and it is true that we do not want to be held captive to a third-party software supplier.

For those that use Apple try this software - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/rigelian/id1363775934

best
james

gbaby

« Reply #52 on: 4 Dec 2022, 03:42 pm »
This is an unfortunately misinformed post. Sadly it appears to, stereotypically, be a fanboy blatantly grasping for a strawman. ..
Cheers,
Geary

Too bad you cannot make your point without being insulting.  :roll:

gbaby

« Reply #53 on: 4 Dec 2022, 03:43 pm »
I think we have different prices in mind... here the BDP-3 official price is €6,510.00 while the Auralic Aries ranges from € 2,899.00 to € 5,799.00

Wow! This is a significant price difference.

galyons

« Reply #54 on: 4 Dec 2022, 04:08 pm »
Too bad you cannot make your point without being insulting.  :roll:

No insult intended. I was just pointing out that the comparisons and pricing extrapolations were not based in fact. 

Cheers,
Geary

gbaby

« Reply #55 on: 4 Dec 2022, 04:35 pm »

I’m using an iPad. There’s no delete key.
I’ve attached a screenshot from my iPad, of list I’m talking about.
When I try and play a “Favourites” selection, nothing happens.
No delete or  check!

As for the “Playlists”, I just figured out how to delete one. You have to hit save, AFTER  you load a playlist, then delete it from the dialogue box that comes up. NOT intuitive in the least!!

The two at the bottom of my list don’t respond. Can’t play, can’t delete, because they don’t load!!

Getting really tired of this !

Thanks for any help

Last night, I was able to duplicate your problem with my unit. I could not delete my favorites either. Nor could I delete songs from my playlist without them showing up again. When you swipe a song to delete it, it is gone as long as you don't get out of the MM program and come back as when you come back into Manic Moose. the song you deleted shows up again. This permanent deletion use to work. I suspect it stopped working during these numerous upgrades. So, there is a problem with deleting songs from both the Favorites and Playlists. I am sure this will be fixed since, now, Chris has notice of this issue. I still can't see discarding MM and coming up with a new interface with a different set of problems. Once the music starts, the interface is irrelevant.

vonnie123

« Reply #56 on: 4 Dec 2022, 04:59 pm »

If clunky and outdated are terms you can't apply, then free feel to rah rah MM until the cows come home. 

The firmware is circa 2012, and it's not nimble and/or easy to use.  It was innovative software whose time has passed.

vonnie123

« Reply #57 on: 4 Dec 2022, 05:04 pm »
Hi Folks

We are still working on OS3 software but it is taking quite a while and it is true that we do not want to be held captive to a third-party software supplier.

For those that use Apple try this software - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/rigelian/id1363775934

best
james

I understand not wanting to get trapped into a third party developer, but if you set the specs and instructions couldn't it be managed by Bryston staff.  It's not like the JULI card deal where a specific part was needed.

Rigelian is a decent app.  It does require a renewing subscription.  Roon is the best method I have found to use my BDPs.

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #58 on: 4 Dec 2022, 05:55 pm »
……..I still can't see discarding MM and coming up with a new interface with a different set of problems. Once the music starts, the interface is irrelevant.

Spoiler alert!!…Bryston IS discarding Manic Moose, for OS3.
Also…Don’t you think it’s a little negative, and presumptuously so, that the new OS will have a “different set of problems “. I’m pretty sure Chris and Mike and Team have learned plenty since MM’s inception. I have faith in a triumphant OS3.

I beg to differ somewhat, on your last statement too.
Once the music starts, the interface must be on hand,  to tweak the listener experience, by adding, sorting and deleting selections, as well as browsing for subsequent songs, albums or sources.

Nice to hear from James again, too! Thanks JT.

galyons

« Reply #59 on: 4 Dec 2022, 06:17 pm »
I still can't see discarding MM and coming up with a new interface with a different set of problems. Once the music starts, the interface is irrelevant.

Come on!? The interface is NEVER irrelevant.  It is the interface that let's one choose the music, start it, stop it and any other action from the streamer.    No one is "discarding" MM. The demand on a streaming user interface have increased exponentially in the ten years since MM was introduced.  The need for a seamless third party integration to qobuz, tidal, et al has put further strain on the old MPD base.

If MM meets your needs, that is great. Your continuing behaviour to invalidate, disregard and/or patronize the experience of fellow owners is IMO, telling.  MM no longer meets the needs of many in the marketplace. That is NOT a knock on MM.  The fact that MM is still functional today is a testament to Bryston's commitment to its customers.   

The fanboy behavior is getting pretty farcical.  (Again, no insult intended. Just stating how the posts come across to me.)

Cheers,
Geary