Have a little Anarchy for the Holidays

Kevin Haskins

Have a little Anarchy for the Holidays
« on: 19 Dec 2009, 02:00 am »
In stock and shipping.   The current pricing is my "hook" pricing.   Good until the first production run is out of stock.   Those who wait will pay a more reasonable amount for these little beasties.   

http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=538

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Have a little Anarchy for the Holidays
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2009, 02:32 am »
That video is just sick Kevin.  Might have to grab a few of those at that price to play with.

Bryan

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2009, 05:30 pm »
That video is just sick Kevin.  Might have to grab a few of those at that price to play with.

Bryan

It is funny but I had shown all kinds of Klippel data that was outstanding but that Video is what touched a nerve with people.     

I was playing around with Windows Movie Maker and originally "Smoke on the Water".    That was infringing on copyrights so I had to pick a free-use music file and got that head-banger music which actually fit the "Anarchy" theme perfectly.     Not what I'd call music but hey... whatever works.   

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2009, 05:41 pm »
Perfect song for the demo.  Very cool looking woofer.  Best of luck to you.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2009, 05:43 pm »
Oh... I sent a set to Voice Coil magazine for measurements and 3rd party Klippel data.   Vance said they should be coming out in the Feb/March issue if you want to see some nerdy engineering information pick up a copy.   

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2009, 05:47 pm »
What amazed me was how quiet it was with that kind of 'excessive' excursion.

Bryan

srb

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2009, 05:49 pm »
It is funny but I had shown all kinds of Klippel data that was outstanding but that Video is what touched a nerve with people.     

Who wants to read data and graphs?  How many people do you think will read Avatar compared to seeing the movie?

A picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a thousand pictures.
(Well at least a 33 second video at 30 frames per second)

Steve

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2009, 06:09 pm »

Who wants to read data and graphs?  How many people do you think will read Avatar compared to seeing the movie?

A picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a thousand pictures.
(Well at least a 33 second video at 30 frames per second)

Steve

I'd rather see the Klippel data because it tells you a lot more than that video.    :lol:   I also am the kind of person who would rather read the book although something like Avatar is worth seeing on the big-screen.     

But I get your point.   My customers want to see the video because the Klippel data is just "data and graphs".   :)

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2009, 06:15 pm »
What amazed me was how quiet it was with that kind of 'excessive' excursion.

Bryan

Yea... it has more excursion than is needed for in-box applications.   I about soiled myself when I first ran a test-tone through it.   It has much lower self-noise at that kind of stroke than anything else I've fit on the sawhorse.   It would be a good dipole woofer because of the low-noise under high stroke.    We really had designed it around a mini-subwoofer & midwoofer applications targeting 0.5-0.7 cubic foot ported boxes but with the DSPs available these days, the parameters are much less important than they used to be.   

I'm going to update the Kepler with it and design a couple other active loudspeakers using the Hypex DSPs and amps.    Fun stuff...

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2009, 06:27 pm »
LOL!  :duh: :icon_twisted: :drool:

Anand.

face

« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec 2009, 07:12 pm »
Oh... I sent a set to Voice Coil magazine for measurements and 3rd party Klippel data.   Vance said they should be coming out in the Feb/March issue if you want to see some nerdy engineering information pick up a copy.
What's the chance of seeing that info before then? 

Carl V

« Reply #11 on: 22 Dec 2009, 08:39 pm »
How does two drivers per PE 1ft3 square enclousre (sealed) as a bass bin
look.  I thought you had a similar arrangement at VSAC sitting off to the side.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #12 on: 23 Dec 2009, 01:55 am »
What's the chance of seeing that info before then?

Ahh... I posted it somewhere.    It is somewhere in the many Anarchy threads although some of that Klippel data is dated because it was for prototypes.     I had the units we sent to Voice Coil Klippeled just to cover my butt.    Email me and I'll forward you the PDF. 

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #13 on: 23 Dec 2009, 02:03 am »
How does two drivers per PE 1ft3 square enclousre (sealed) as a bass bin
look.  I thought you had a similar arrangement at VSAC sitting off to the side.

I picked parameters based upon 0.5-0.7 ft^3 resonant enclosures.   I had a 1 cubic foot ported subwoofer as one of the target designs (x2 Anarchy).   Basically this was the midwoofer I was going to use in the finished loudspeakers and I started with my enclosure limitation/sizes based upon those finished designs.    The parameters popped out the other side of the equation from picking bandwidth/size of enclosure.    You can use them sealed but to get really good bandwidth you would want a little EQ because I think you will see something like a 70Hz F3 without equalization in that size box (just going from memory).   

My little subwoofer design was active, used a subsonic filter with a little Q to add some boost.    It worked really well and gave excellent output down to about 25Hz in-room at realistic SPL levels.   It was the bottom section of a tower, with the 1 cubic foot enclosure acting as the stand for a Kepler-like monitor.     

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #14 on: 23 Dec 2009, 04:23 am »
These drivers look to be quite an accomplishment Kevin, congrats on pulling off the design!  They should be perfect for a theater setup, and I'm in the planning stages of building mine right now.  I'll order a few pair in a week or so for the fronts and center, probably paired with Seas DXT's just like you were planning.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #15 on: 23 Dec 2009, 04:28 am »
Ryan! Your back!  I too am drooling over these drivers.  :drool:  They look very interesting.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #16 on: 23 Dec 2009, 11:54 pm »

Bryan

I'll trade you a pair of loudspeakers for some Art Panels and diffusors Bryan.    That would seriously upgrade my room and I'd love to do an Exodus version with some tasteful design elements.   

Icedsounds

« Reply #17 on: 1 Jan 2010, 08:24 pm »
Thats a great looking speaker Kevin. I am excited to see a new 180mm speaker with XBL technoligy. I could have sworn I have seen that motor before. I took a picture of one of my drivers from a company that is no longer around just to compare. I look forward to trying your new driver in 2010.
Raw Acoustics LXII driver below

http://www.diycable.com/main/images/Anarchy/WebPics/A3.jpg
Best of luck in the newyear.

jmc207

« Reply #18 on: 1 Jan 2010, 10:02 pm »
I had trouble pulling just one Anarchy out of the shipping box because it was so heavy. Once I did, OMG was the first thing out of my mouth. An unbelievable woofer for the price.  :D

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #19 on: 3 Jan 2010, 06:58 am »
Thats a great looking speaker Kevin. I am excited to see a new 180mm speaker with XBL technoligy. I could have sworn I have seen that motor before. I took a picture of one of my drivers from a company that is no longer around just to compare. I look forward to trying your new driver in 2010.
Raw Acoustics LXII driver below

http://www.diycable.com/main/images/Anarchy/WebPics/A3.jpg
Best of luck in the newyear.

Yea... I miss hearing from Al.   I'm not privy to the details of Al's woofer.   I think it was a higher BL high-efficiency unit rather than a low-reaching stroker.   The motor looks larger/higher B than the Anarchy.     Like anything you have to pick your poison when you design something.    High-efficiency means less bandwidth.    I've picked a spot somewhere between the Extremis and Al's midwoofer.    It is pretty much the same as my EX-6.5 which I felt was a good balance point for box size, bandwidth and efficiency for this size device.

I'd call the Anarchy an evolution of the earlier designs.   It makes the same tradeoff for box size, bandwidth and efficiency as my EX-6.5 but adds more usable stoke and much better performance in terms of usable upper frequency bandwidth due to the clean response.   It has more suspension capability than any of the previous designs which translates into better behavior in overload situations and cleaner performance at the limits.   The most difficult thing though was getting the good clean midrange performance PLUS all that usable stroke.   The two are difficult to combine as you usually have a tradeoff one for the other.