ATS Acoustics FIREWOOD or diffusor

drummermitchell

ATS Acoustics FIREWOOD or diffusor
« on: 1 Mar 2013, 01:51 am »
Before I get pissed for the second time,I'm sure diffusor wells should ALL BE THE SAME WIDTH :thumbdown:.
Each ATS diffusor 24X48(close enough )as it seems their measuring is more eye ball it construction.
Well 0-6 starts with:# 0=2+3/4"w,#1=2+3/4"#2=3+3/8WTF is that and the rest are2+3/4"
Diffusor #2 same friggin thing and both diffusor fins the top is flush and the bottom isn't,don't know if that makes a difference.

Now these are suppose to be 7 root,now with that 3+3/8"well I'm assuming these are friggin GARBAGE.
And I'm not sure the rest of the well widths are within what a 7 root should be.
NEVER AGAIN,seems GIK,RealTraps,RPG are the only acoustic companies you can trust.
here is a pict of one pc. of firewood,third well from the left is 3+3/8" W and the rest are 2+3/4"(the camera doesn't make it look bad.
When you see them in person you can tell right away,hell I measured 4-5 times just to be sure,FN Neanderthals.
The pict is very deceiving.that 3rd well is about 5/8"different from the rest,I'd imagine that would throw everything out of wack.

« Last Edit: 1 Mar 2013, 03:22 am by drummermitchell »

MaxCast

Re: ATS Acoustics FIREWOOD or diffusor
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2013, 12:48 pm »
And I'm not sure the rest of the well widths are within what a 7 root should be.

Maybe a little research on your part is in order.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2013, 01:21 pm »
There is no fixed 'must be' dimension for any specific root.  You could have a 7 root where they're 1" wide.  You can have one where they're 6" wide. It's the relationship of the width to the depth that will vary.  Wider wells also equal deeper wells.

That said, all of the wells should absolutely be the same width.

Bryan

drummermitchell

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2013, 01:49 pm »
Thanks Bryan,I figured that.
Obviously there is no quality control on ATS acoustics behalf or research.
I doubt they will reimburse,I am going to ph. and email.
What do they say if its to good to be true.

drummermitchell

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2013, 02:46 pm »
Pays to stay calm,got off the PH with ATS and they will reimburse.
GIK to the rescue(one stop  shopping).

Alex Reynolds

• Industry Participant
  • Bringing Your Sound to Life
    • GIK Acoustics
« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2013, 06:11 pm »
Pays to stay calm,got off the PH with ATS and they will reimburse.
GIK to the rescue(one stop  shopping).

That is good news.

When constructing diffusors most don't have the right equipment to cut exactly (like 2" + 19/32" or something for example) so they'll end up getting as close as they can (maybe 2" + 1/2") so by the time you've got 7 wells, you're 21/32" off - so one of the wells ends up a much different size. I'm not sure if that is the case with your purchase, but I've seen it happen before (especially when DIYing). Measurements are useless if you can't cut the exact sizes you need, or if you don't take into account your saw width, or if you estimate with nominal sizes instead of actual, etc. Sorry to hear about your problem - glad to know they've reimbursed you though.

jk@home

« Reply #6 on: 5 Mar 2013, 01:07 pm »
It would of been nice if you had tested, or at least tried or compared these to the GIK product. I "imagine" you would had "heard" the same results. BTW, no affiliation here with ATS, just someone like you looking for a good value.

Did you ask the manufacturer about this issue? What was their response? In all fairness, shouldn't you post that here also?
« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2013, 12:15 pm by jk@home »

drummermitchell

« Reply #7 on: 5 Mar 2013, 02:00 pm »
The person I talked with said it should have never happened.                                                                                                            If you look at the pict,to my eyes anyway they look really nice+I can stain them ect.
Says on their site The ATS diffusor is a precisely calculated QRD and furniture quality and workmanship.
It looks that way also in the picts(even mine)until you look.
Even the backwall of some wells are not straight.
As I mentioned in the other post ATS is going to reimburse,they even paid the shipping .
The lady who I've been talking to there,Rhonda is super nice and made everything a breeze.
I took them to the courier yesterday.
If slapping up some slats in a frame does  the same thing as Gik,RT or RPG,then everybody would be doing it.
As I said before that white birch is a real nice looking wood,would have been nice to stain.
It all worked out and my dilemma is diffused :duh:.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 6 Mar 2013, 12:23 am »
This usually happens when the work is contracted out, which ATS may very well do with all of their woodworking.  Or if it is done in house, somebody's really slacking in QA and QC.  With the contract work you're suppose to have QA validate the product, but either there's no QA at ATS, which is very likely in a small company, or the product is direct shipped from the contract supplier, also quite possible and still a QA problem.  It's a plus that they have nice people working there who handled your problem correctly, but the way she said "never should have happened" shows she's aware of the problem, it's likely happened before, and whoever's in charge of QA has not implemented a solution.  Glad you got it resolved, it shows ATS is a honorable company to do business with, but that they may be a little overwhelmed.   

drummermitchell

« Reply #9 on: 6 Mar 2013, 01:07 am »
I'm glad also as it was a bit of coin plus shipping to Canada.
Thinking I should perhaps delete the first post as I was a bit miffed.

jrhill

« Reply #10 on: 6 Mar 2013, 02:18 am »
Did they achieve the results you were looking for, despite the 'faulty construction'?  Or anything like the expected results?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 6 Mar 2013, 04:29 am »
Thinking I should perhaps delete the first post as I was a bit miffed.

Well, it would make all of the subsequent posts seem silly, and it's prolly pretty good advertising for ATS.  Miffed, then quickly resolved.  I would feel pretty confident buying from them. 

I was also wondering if the product worked as advertised.  I assume from your posts that you didn't try them out, which is okay of course.  Theory is great and all, but unless you're setting up a room measured by dimension and sound mapping, fully testing the results and reconfiguring for unexpected anomalies, I suspect it might not matter all that much if you're hanging some diffusion in likely spots and listening.  Everyone has differing degrees of acceptance.

jk@home

« Reply #12 on: 6 Mar 2013, 12:30 pm »
Yeah that was my point. If the quality of the construction was so offensive, as to be a constant reminder of a bad deal,  I don't blame the OP for sending them back.

But AFAIK, they are one of the lesser costing all-wood diffusers out there, I know of only the Decwares are less, but they are only 2 x 2, part MDF, and maybe shallower. So for some of us in the "cheap and cheerful" crowd,  the ATS product may suffice.

Of course nothing beats the price of the new foam diffusers availible. One could take one of those, and frame it in some nice wood, and still be ahead $$$ wise over the all wood products. And it would be a lot lighter too.

Guy 13

« Reply #13 on: 6 Mar 2013, 12:54 pm »
Yeah that was my point. If the quality of the construction was so offensive, as to be a constant reminder of a bad deal,  I don't blame the OP for sending them back.

But AFAIK, they are one of the lesser costing all-wood diffusers out there, I know of only the Decwares are less, but they are only 2 x 2, part MDF, and maybe shallower. So for some of us in the "cheap and cheerful" crowd,  the ATS product may suffice.

Of course nothing beats the price of the new foam diffusers availible. One could take one of those, and frame it in some nice wood, and still be ahead $$$ wise over the all wood products. And it would be a lot lighter too.
Hi jk@home and all Audio Circle members.
Do you have any manufacturer's names to share with us for the foam diffusers?
Thanks.

Guy 13

drummermitchell

« Reply #15 on: 6 Mar 2013, 01:18 pm »
Hi Guys,It was the workmanship that did me in,wells being unsquare inside and out, top being flush and the bottom not.
I didn't try them out as I was quite disappointed in the exacting measurements.
I find and I'm sure as others if one part is out the whole thing is out just like building cabinets as it takes just a few mm to throw a door out of wack or a side piece and then of course the visual.
If they were built to exacting standards I would be totally satisfied as the birch is very nice and would have loved to stain them.
ATS(Rhonda) came thru very professional and a personality to top it all off which made everything quite pleasant.
All in all I'm good on this end.

Alex Reynolds

• Industry Participant
  • Bringing Your Sound to Life
    • GIK Acoustics
« Reply #16 on: 6 Mar 2013, 06:19 pm »
I know of two:

http://gikacoustics.com/product/gik-acoustics-gridfusor/

Thanks for the mention. Note that our QRD diffusor (not the Q7d but the QRD) has a painted EPS core as well. The wood definitely looks better than the EPS, but the EPS are so lightweight and are formed to exact dimensions so there's no way something like the above could happen (or at least, I've never seen it happen). The main ratio most consider is obviously looks vs price, but there's other factors too.

Chris_ATS

« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2013, 08:24 pm »
Hi Mitchell,

Thank you for your insight into the ATS diffusers. It is our goal to provide the highest quality products to our customers, and we are sorry that we let you down. I am glad Rhonda was able to take care of you. We have revamped our production process and are offering a new, improved diffuser. Our diffusers are now manufactured using a precisely measured CNC machine. This allows for the tight fit that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

- Chris

http://www.atsacoustics.com/acoustic-qrd-diffuser.html

HT cOz

« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2013, 03:43 pm »
I've been really happy with my experiences with ATS.  I ordered many boxes of Rockwool and their acoustic fabric.  Allowed me to create this room which turned out nicely.