FS: North Creek Music Okara II's in rosewood[SOLD]

gprro

Re: FS: North Creek Music Okara II's in rosewood[SOLD]
« Reply #20 on: 18 Apr 2010, 09:22 pm »

Hey all, I'm the proud new owner. Great deal and transaction. Good to meet Anand. Would love to hear his current system some time, looks like he's got some pretty cool and great equipment. He has a new addition to the family due any day now, so he'll probably be busy for a while, congrats!

Just a short listening session on my back up rig- project xpression2 w/speedbox and an at440 cart, vista audio AC limited pre, through the direct in on a decent 8000 series marantz reciever. Jumping straight to it ... Really nice!   Nice balance between detail and musicality. Timing/phasing is really good, images are stable. Very transparent, I can tell it's a mid fi receiver and not my tube amp. Makes the av123 x- mtms sound pretty veiled in comparison. With the mtms there isn't a huge difference between amps.

I did have a little scare. The project table has some rumble/feedback I need to tame. The little woofers pump away when the volume is up. I was toe tapping along with the latest Neil Young Harvest pressing, and I guess the toe tapping was a little too enthusiastic. One of the woofs went a little too far I guess, just a little voice coil scraping noise. No damage I think, but freaked me out a little.  I'm going to get a back up pair of woofs just in case I do something bone headed. I can see keeping these for a while. I can activate the high pass on the receiver, and it's interesting just how much the ada conversion colapses the stage. Really the only weakness is bass in my pretty large room. The bass at my listening spot is a little off without subs anyway. Nearfield they are full enough sounding though.

Can't wait to try them in the big rig when it's all sorted out. I have a heavily modded Jolida Jd1000 that should be back soon. GR ob7+ speakers, technics 1200 with the KAB mods and a Soundsmith cart. The table and cart need a little sorting too. And soon, the tax refund check will turn into a mac
mini and a dac, maybe the tranquility.

After hearing these, I'm wishing George Short was still doing some kits. I'd like
 to hear some of his bigger designs too. Overall, super happy with them! Thanks again Anand, good meeting you, and good luck with the new addition!

If I can make one of the NC get togethers, these are pretty portable, and could make an appearance!

Later everyone,
Giyan