Books on Creativity?

wulffblood

Books on Creativity?
« on: 17 May 2023, 01:53 am »
Hi all, do you have a favorite book on the practice of creating? I read a book called The Artist's Way and it was significantly helpful in my processes of creating, and am hoping to find other books that help with writing music / improvising / music composition. Thank you!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Books on Creativity?
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2023, 01:44 pm »
I cannot do what you do, but I admire your talent, I could recommend good biographies on Classical master as Bach, Ravel, Schoenberg and other classical master. Beethoven and Mozart had difficult and turbulent lives all the time, the film Amadeus turned Mozart's life into a paradise.

wulffblood

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2023, 04:21 pm »
I cannot do what you do, but I admire your talent, I could recommend good biographies on Classical master as Bach, Ravel, Schoenberg and other classical master. Beethoven and Mozart had difficult and turbulent lives all the time, the film Amadeus turned Mozart's life into a paradise.

I always welcome a good biography—do you have a favorite or two you'd recommend on these composers?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2023, 04:34 pm »
In english only Beethoven/Solomon
« Last Edit: 17 May 2023, 05:57 pm by FullRangeMan »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2023, 12:53 pm »
For my level of musical illiteracy the Rick Beato YT Channel always was very instrutive.
]https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rick+beato+music+theory

bentconvert

« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2023, 03:04 pm »
The Creative Act: A Way of Being
By Rick Rubin

wulffblood

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2023, 09:42 pm »
The Creative Act: A Way of Being
By Rick Rubin

Yes! This is on my list. I've heard a few podcast interviews with Rick Rubin and am excited to learn from his book. Thank you!

wulffblood

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2023, 09:43 pm »
For my level of musical illiteracy the Rick Beato YT Channel always was very instrutive.
]https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rick+beato+music+theory

I haven't heard of this channel. Thanks for sharing! Something new to explore. Thanks @FullRangeMan

newzooreview

« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2023, 09:59 pm »
I'm sure you've seen it, but The Beatles: Get Back provides a fascinating insight into their creative process. It shows rather than tells, so it might complement books about creativity.

https://ondisneyplus.disney.com/movie/the-beatles-get-back