Introducing the MCP-18 Audiophile Multichannel Preamp

pdkm

Re: Introducing the MCP-18 Audiophile Multichannel Preamp
« Reply #40 on: 21 Sep 2013, 01:13 am »
Cool - I can't pm since I only have 1 post (2 after this) but maybe you can pm me the info?

Thanks!

Longandstraight

« Reply #41 on: 25 Sep 2013, 12:50 am »
How can you integrate a two channel tube preamp into this system?.
Thanks,
Russ

bearuk

« Reply #42 on: 8 Oct 2013, 07:48 am »
I prefer the design of the Parasound, which also has a phono input (I have a turntable). But Parasound only recently started making the P7 in black, and they still include a silver remote because they say making a black one was too expensive. Hmm..

I want to see the remote for the Nuforce.

bearuk

« Reply #43 on: 8 Oct 2013, 09:15 pm »
Oh dear. I have seen the NuForce MCP-18 remote. It looks like something that comes with a $20 clock radio from Walmart.  Not a product I'll be buying.

mca

« Reply #44 on: 30 Dec 2013, 03:06 am »
Have there been any reviews of the MCP-18? How about comparisons to the Parasound P7? I have been looking for something like this for awhile now. It looks like the perfect companion for my BDP-105/Butler setup.

John Casler

« Reply #45 on: 7 Jan 2014, 01:26 am »
Have there been any reviews of the MCP-18? How about comparisons to the Parasound P7? I have been looking for something like this for awhile now. It looks like the perfect companion for my BDP-105/Butler setup.

Not aware of any actual reviews of the unit, since it is somewhat different than pre-pros out there.

But it is exceptionally accurate, and has less in the signal path to affect the sound.

I have one in my system and it is great.

I might add that the P7 is more focused on having additional functions, such as subwoofer output, headphone output, and phono preamp, that will make it either cost more or potentially dilute the quality by spreading the unit cost over more components.

Both have value to the right person looking for either limited circuitry or specific functions.  In this case, I think the P7 is 2 x as much as the MCP-18.
« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2014, 05:28 am by John Casler »

thx77

« Reply #46 on: 8 Jan 2014, 01:20 pm »
Hello,

I'm also interrested by this MPC 18.
I try to find the owner manual of this model in Nuforce website but got only a very light document without deep instruction and possibility.
Someone know where we can find this full manual ?
thanks in advance

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #47 on: 9 Jan 2014, 07:47 pm »
The MCP-18 is developed to be an audiophile grade pure analog preamp, it uses our discrete switched resistor attenuater first appeared on our P20 preamp for the front 2-channel.  The purity and fidelity of the front channel, in our view, is critical. 

We are not aware of any competitor near this price point is able to offer such volume control.  The same volume control is also implemented in HAP-100, which won The Absolute Sound Product of the Year 2013 Award.

The most important feature we have in MCP is the ability to fine-tuned down to 0.5dB on each 7.1 channel.   The bass management today, are mostly done at the Processor/BD player lever for movies, and in the subwoofer itself if analog; so we do not offer, and we do not want to distract the goal of achieving the purest signal path.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #48 on: 10 Jan 2014, 03:26 pm »
Hello.

I'm about to expose myself as someone who lacks the experience to understand the significance of this analog preamp.  :? Try not to laugh too hard.

How would I hook up my TV to this preamp? (via my Oppo 103?)

What are the advantages to using this preamp over a similar preamp that relies on HDMI?

Do I still want to have a DAC?

I look forward to reading any input on this. Thank you for your patience.

John Casler

« Reply #49 on: 10 Jan 2014, 03:40 pm »
Hello.

I'm about to expose myself as someone who lacks the experience to understand the significance of this analog preamp.  :? Try not to laugh too hard.

How would I hook up my TV to this preamp? (via my Oppo 103?)

What are the advantages to using this preamp over a similar preamp that relies on HDMI?

Do I still want to have a DAC?

I look forward to reading any input on this. Thank you for your patience.

Your OPPO 103 has 2 HDMI inputs that can be used for other sources.  It also has 7.1 analog outputs.

I assume you are talking about either a Satellite or Cable Source that feeds your TV.

You would take the HDMI output of your Satellite or Cable Box and run it into your OPPO BDP-103 HDMI "input".

Select the HDMI input, using the OPPO Remote (see your manual for details) and you will then get both Audio and Video to and through the OPPO.

I will assume that you already have an HDMI connection from the OPPO to your TV, so that connection will carry the Video, while the 7.1 analog outs from the MCP-18 will carry the Audio.

mresseguie

« Reply #50 on: 11 Jan 2014, 02:16 am »
John,

Thank you.  :thumb:

Until very recently, I had been under the impression that HDMI was 'the best' connection for both video and audio. This impression came to me thanks to zealous clerks/salespersons extolling the virtues of HDMI. How was I to know balanced connections are far superior?

Correct me if I am wrong:

Nuforce sells two slightly different units: the AVP-18 Preamp/Processor, and the MCP-18 Preamp/Processor. The advantage of the MCP unit is its ability to use balanced connections thereby allowing for better audio.  Most folks who lack understanding/experience with balanced connectors (or lack interest?) would naturally opt for the AVP-18 unit because they like the simplicity and, perhaps, mistakenly think HDMI is the 'best' connection available. OTOH folks who understand the benefits of balanced connections would jump at the chance to buy the MCP-18 unit because they would be able to listen to both HT audio and two-channel audio with the best possible sound. The video is still handled by the HDMI connection via the universal (or DVD, Bluray) player.

The above explanation (realization?) would help explain why the posters in this thread were so excited about the introduction of the MCP-18, correct?

The correction between the amplifier and the preamp is made using the RCA connections, yes?
I've never used separates before, so I do not know. :(

Regards....

John Casler

« Reply #51 on: 11 Jan 2014, 06:35 pm »
John,

Thank you.  :thumb:

Until very recently, I had been under the impression that HDMI was 'the best' connection for both video and audio. This impression came to me thanks to zealous clerks/salespersons extolling the virtues of HDMI. How was I to know balanced connections are far superior?

Actually a balanced connection has some advantages, especially over longer runs, but in shorter runs, it is very similar in sound quality, with good quality cables.

I personally like XLR connectors too, simply because the connections are "always" tight and cannot wiggle loose if you have to move components or re-position occasionally.

Correct me if I am wrong:

Nuforce sells two slightly different units: the AVP-18 Preamp/Processor, and the MCP-18 Preamp/Processor. The advantage of the MCP unit is its ability to use balanced connections thereby allowing for better audio.  Most folks who lack understanding/experience with balanced connectors (or lack interest?) would naturally opt for the AVP-18 unit because they like the simplicity and, perhaps, mistakenly think HDMI is the 'best' connection available. OTOH folks who understand the benefits of balanced connections would jump at the chance to buy the MCP-18 unit because they would be able to listen to both HT audio and two-channel audio with the best possible sound. The video is still handled by the HDMI connection via the universal (or DVD, Bluray) player.

The above explanation (realization?) would help explain why the posters in this thread were so excited about the introduction of the MCP-18, correct?

The correction between the amplifier and the preamp is made using the RCA connections, yes?
I've never used separates before, so I do not know. :(

Regards....

There are many differences between a "MCP-18 Preamp" and the "AVP-18 PrePro", the most significant of which is that a Preamp does "NO DIGITAL PROCESSING"  or video switching and is all minimal circuitry analog.  The AVP-18 PrePro on the other hand, is "all digital" and does all the DAC and processing functions, as well as video switching.

You are correct, that the MCP-18 is best used for the Audio Purist who wishes to have the best combination of 2 channel and Multichannel Audio in the same system, and has a Disc Player, or other multichannel source that has High Quality Analog output signals, but also might wants to have a High Quality 2 channel DAC, and or other analog sources like a Turntable and High Quality Phono Preamp, separate from the preamp.

I might also add that the two units are also designed to "work together" for those who want a "complete package" of the combined functions.  In fact the AVP-18 remote also controls the MCP-18.

Even in combination, the two units are at a price point ($1095 + $995 = $2090) that cannot be easily matched for the performance and capabilities of the pair.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2014, 01:43 am by John Casler »

mresseguie

« Reply #52 on: 12 Jan 2014, 05:55 am »
John,

Thank you.

I'm not entirely certain that I am an audio purist at this time although I think I'm somewhere along that journey. I have no TT. All my source is digital--either disk-based, stored in my computer, or streamed through my SB Touch. I definitely like to upgrade components as either money becomes available or I discover a higher quality device.

I can't help but wonder if the AVP-18 PrePro might be a more appropriate first step for me. Then, if I deem it important enough, I could add the MCP-18 into the mix(?).  I think I need to better understand all the advantages before I decide. I'd like to ask more questions if you don't mind....[no need!]

I just finished reading this thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=115839.20  followed by RickyDeg's review followed by the Nuforce website's FAQ. I'm up to speed (I think).

I'll buy the AVP-18 pre/pro! Perhaps, in the future, I will see a need to add the MCP-18, but I can confidently start with the AVP-18. I had already decided on an amp before finding this thread, so I expect to be quite happy once the two units are 'married' to my speakers and TV. I just have to wait a bit till everything (myself included) is in place.

Thank you for your input, sir! :D :D

quint

« Reply #53 on: 11 Mar 2014, 08:28 pm »
Can anyone tell me if this unit is fully balanced?  I read through the thread and didn't see mention of this.

Thanks!

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #54 on: 11 Mar 2014, 11:46 pm »
Hi,
It has 2 fully-balanced input, and a set of fully balanced 7.1 output.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #55 on: 12 Jun 2014, 08:53 pm »
Why haven't I seen this? Now that I've seen it, I have to hear it. This is what I have been looking for - I think.

I sold my Allnic L3000 tube preamp. I am using the Anti-Mode 2.0 to perform room correction focused only at the lower frequencies up to 500Hz but generally only touch up to 300Hz where most of the bad happens. I'm using 4 subwoofers. I have a pair of Clearwave R5's which use Raal tweeters and Scan speak mids. The Antimode blends the subs perfectly so I don't need or want additional processing to screw with my sound.

Problem is, I moved my multichannel system into my 2 channel room. We really like Blue-ray audio and I get tired of moving the Oppo BDP 105 from room to room. But having just the Oppo to perform 2 channel then switching to multichannel is a major pain in the ass. Why? I have a BMC 2 channel amp that drives the R5's. I have a 7 channel Arcam amp driving the remaining center and surrounds and the subs are all self powered but get room corrected by the other set of outputs from the Anti-mode.

I know this is hard to visualize but trust me, it gets old swapping cables around.

2 channel is important and multichannel just needs to work well considering the components we enjoy. But the choices for AV processors out there... :evil: The Cary is the only processor I see worth a damn that wouldn't screw with the pure sound we are enjoying in my 2 channel world.

I wished for a preamp that could handle 7 channels, but brilliantly passed 2 channel. Oppo can perform the balancing act. Anti-Mode performs the cross-over and DSP duties to the 4 subs.

Am I missing something? Jason, you there. I'm practically your neighbor and have visited your store and bought your products in the past. Would like to try your MCP-18.

For those of you who are new to Nuforce, Nuforce and Pass Labs are the 2 best audio outfits I've ever worked with. I had blown up one of my Nuforce 9SEV2 amps one day and called to Jason and told him what I'd done. It was clearly my fault. He told me to bring the dead amp to the office and they would look at it. later that day they called for me to come pick up my amp. They had replaced the board at no charge. Think of that. Fixed within the day! No charge.  :thumb:

studiotech

« Reply #56 on: 29 Jun 2014, 03:48 am »
Not sure if this has been posted, but Audio Advisor is running the MCP-18 on a really generous sale right now.  I picked one up this week.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/NuForce-MCP-18-2-Channel-or-Multi-Channel-Preamplifier/productinfo/NUMCP18/#.U6-Ln_ldUhY

I will post a review once the unit has arrived and I am able to do a shootout against my MSB MVC and a Crane Song Avocet mastering studio unit.  I know the Crane Song is a very expensive piece, but a few years ago when I got the MVC, we did a level matched shootout and it really held it's own very well again the Avocet.  I'm hoping for at least the same result, since I need multiple inputs and balanced outs.

Greg

John Casler

« Reply #57 on: 3 Jul 2014, 07:47 pm »
Not sure if this has been posted, but Audio Advisor is running the MCP-18 on a really generous sale right now.  I picked one up this week.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/NuForce-MCP-18-2-Channel-or-Multi-Channel-Preamplifier/productinfo/NUMCP18/#.U6-Ln_ldUhY

I will post a review once the unit has arrived and I am able to do a shootout against my MSB MVC and a Crane Song Avocet mastering studio unit.  I know the Crane Song is a very expensive piece, but a few years ago when I got the MVC, we did a level matched shootout and it really held it's own very well again the Avocet.  I'm hoping for at least the same result, since I need multiple inputs and balanced outs.

Greg

$599 is the new price for the MCP-18 and can be purchased through any NuFORCE Dealer.

studiotech

« Reply #58 on: 4 Jul 2014, 03:34 am »
$599 is the new price for the MCP-18 and can be purchased through any NuFORCE Dealer.

Are the guys at NuForce going for the "greatest deal in audio land" or something?  This is fantastic news.

Greg

John Casler

« Reply #59 on: 4 Jul 2014, 02:30 pm »
Are the guys at NuForce going for the "greatest deal in audio land" or something?  This is fantastic news.

Greg

Right.

I have this preamp in my HT system and nothing can touch it sonically for the original price, much less the current price.

Even if you only need a 2 channel ONLY Preamp, this is a STEAL.

We will also have a promotion "with" the AVP-18, that makes it an even better deal for HT users coming soon.