Want to move up without spending too much.

charmerci

Want to move up without spending too much.
« on: 7 Aug 2019, 05:18 am »
Long time photographer. I have a Lumix DMC-FZ200. Light, super zoom/wide range lens. I love it. However, I want higher quality images. I compared my Lumix with a Nikon D3300 and the 18-55VR lens. (Sold it.) The Nikon image was slightly better but not good enough to make it my camera.
I was looking at the Fuji XT20 with their 18-55 lens but my photography friend just loves the Sony a7. ( I would get one with their 28-70 lens. He's a big Pentax lens fan.)

I'd love to keep this well under $1K - I'm on a limited budget.

Any thoughts? Other suggestions?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Want to move up without spending too much.
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2019, 06:33 am »
I suggests a Reflex Full Spectrum camera new or used, the only thing exciting in photo today:
https://www.spencerscamera.com/store/store_sub.cfm?Category_ID=3

This seems interesting:
https://www.spencerscamera.com/store/store_product_detail.cfm?Product_ID=411&Category_ID=3

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2019, 03:50 pm »
I've got a friend who is a camera nut - specifically - a light camera nut. I know he favors Sony. I'll shoot him a message asking what he recommends.

What sort of photography are you hoping to achieve with a new camera? What options do you prefer? Include anything else that can better inform him of your wants/needs, and I'll pass the info along to him.

Michael

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2019, 03:54 pm »
Thanks but I don't think I'll be spending $750 on a sensor for a camera that I don't have.

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2019, 04:20 pm »
I've got a friend who is a camera nut - specifically - a light camera nut. I know he favors Sony. I'll shoot him a message asking what he recommends.

What sort of photography are you hoping to achieve with a new camera? What options do you prefer? Include anything else that can better inform him of your wants/needs, and I'll pass the info along to him.

Michael

Ideally, I'd love to have a camera with the zoom range of my Lumix with a full size sensor like the a7 with the lens image of a fixed Leica lens for about $800. LOL

Actually my priorities are the price with full size sensor. I'd be reluctantly  willing to push close to $1000.

mresseguie

« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2019, 05:33 pm »

Ideally, I'd love to have a camera with the zoom range of my Lumix with a full size sensor like the a7 with the lens image of a fixed Leica lens for about $800. LOL

Actually my priorities are the price with full size sensor. I'd be reluctantly  willing to push close to $1000.

I sent him the message with your info. I'll report back once he replies.

Michael

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2019, 06:00 pm »
Thanks.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 7 Aug 2019, 09:35 pm »
Thanks but I don't think I'll be spending $750 on a sensor for a camera that I don't have.
This is the final price with the kit (lens) more a mod to full spectrum.
FS cameras are FS only outdoors, indoor they are a regular visible light camera.
The brand new price is around $450: https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D3400-NIKKOR-18-55mm-3-5-5-6G/dp/B01KITZKDE?SubscriptionId=AKIAJHZHL2PTF4QQSIQA&tag=dpr-articles-atf-minibbx-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01KITZKDE

The full spectrum mod is not placing a new sensor, instead are just removing the infrared and the UV filters, so all digital cameras are full spectrum without these filters, but they have forbidden FS cameras for people so we have to send camera to a after market mod.
« Last Edit: 7 Aug 2019, 11:32 pm by FullRangeMan »

mresseguie

« Reply #8 on: 7 Aug 2019, 10:43 pm »
My friend replied:
[English is not his native language.]

"Best on my best knowledge, there is no "full-size sensor" camera under $1K! The cheapest full-size sensor camera is one of Sony's 7-series, body only without lens, about $2K. If his budget is under $1K, he probably have to give up the full-size sensor. The next best is Sony RX100VI with APC-size sensor and Zeiss lens, about $1K."

I hope this is helpful. I sure don't know anything about it.

Michael

drphoto

« Reply #9 on: 8 Aug 2019, 12:23 am »
I was a pro shooter for thirty years, but the recession killed my biz, so went into pharmacy. After I had a break in and all my Canon stuff got stolen, I switched to the Fuji X-series. Even though it is an APS size sensor, because there is no anti-alias filter and Fuji uses a different pixel arrangement than the std. Beyer array, I'd say the image quality is as good as the full frame Canon 6D, that was my main camera. I also think Fuji renders color in a much more pleasing, natural way than most digital cameras. But there is no doubt the Sony stuff is superb.

Id look used, especially if you really want a FF DSLR. I highly recommend KEH in Atlanta. Very reputable. I bought a bunch of stuff from them over the years and everything was in better condition than they rated.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 8 Aug 2019, 12:27 am »
Difficult choice, your current camera already good
https://www.dpreview.com/search?query=Lumix%20DMC-FZ200
This may help> 2019 Buyers Guide: Best cameras under $1000
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-cameras-under-1000

charmerci

« Reply #11 on: 8 Aug 2019, 12:34 am »
I suggests a Reflex Full Spectrum camera new or used, the only thing exciting in photo today:
https://www.spencerscamera.com/store/store_sub.cfm?Category_ID=3

This seems interesting:
https://www.spencerscamera.com/store/store_product_detail.cfm?Product_ID=411&Category_ID=3

I'll look into it - but on the site, I can't find...what is a full spectrum conversion? What is it supposed to do? How is it supposed to improve the images taken?

charmerci

« Reply #12 on: 8 Aug 2019, 12:36 am »
My friend replied:
[English is not his native language.]

"Best on my best knowledge, there is no "full-size sensor" camera under $1K! The cheapest full-size sensor camera is one of Sony's 7-series, body only without lens, about $2K. If his budget is under $1K, he probably have to give up the full-size sensor. The next best is Sony RX100VI with APC-size sensor and Zeiss lens, about $1K."

I hope this is helpful. I sure don't know anything about it.

Michael

Thanks

This is what I mean by the 7 series Sony for a good price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Alpha-A7-24-3MP-Digital-Camera-Black-Kit-with-28-70mm-Zoom-Lens/202747695579?hash=item2f34b451db:g:CG8AAOSwVaZc7Hvq

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 8 Aug 2019, 01:27 am »

I'll look into it - but on the site, I can't find...what is a full spectrum conversion? What is it supposed to do? How is it supposed to improve the images taken?
For humans eyes light have 3 ranges:
Infra red - no visible
Visible light
Ultra violet - no visible
A digital camera capture all these 3 ranges, as strange things hide in IR and UV ranges as stealth aircrafts etc they ordered camera manufacturers to put IR and UV filters on all cameras.

A FS conversion just remove these filters and let the camera capture all the 3 light ranges or the full light there is in an outdoor place, in a indoor place there is no IR or UV light usually, the Spencer shop was doing it for $250.

A FS conversion will no improve the Visible Light image a FS image always has different colour tones:
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=full+spectrum+images

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #14 on: 8 Aug 2019, 02:16 pm »

Thanks

This is what I mean by the 7 series Sony for a good price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Alpha-A7-24-3MP-Digital-Camera-Black-Kit-with-28-70mm-Zoom-Lens/202747695579?hash=item2f34b451db:g:CG8AAOSwVaZc7Hvq

I love a bargain as much as anyone.  BUT,  I would be leery of buying used camera on E-Bay.  Anything goes wrong and the repair would totally be on you.

Have you seen a7 with 28-70 lens at Amazon for $998?  Granted that it's first generation  and they are at MKIII now but it's still a mirrorless full frame.  I am not sure how good the kit lens is but it's $200.  Body only is $798.

charmerci

« Reply #15 on: 8 Aug 2019, 04:00 pm »
For humans eyes light have 3 ranges:
Infra red - no visible
Visible light
Ultra violet - no visible
A digital camera capture all these 3 ranges, as strange things hide in IR and UV ranges as stealth aircrafts etc they ordered camera manufacturers to put IR and UV filters on all cameras.

A FS conversion just remove these filters and let the camera capture all the 3 light ranges or the full light there is in an outdoor place, in a indoor place there is no IR or UV light usually, the Spencer shop was doing it for $250.

A FS conversion will no improve the Visible Light image a FS image always has different colour tones:
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=full+spectrum+images

Actually, I'm not a fan of "enhanced color" photography. I much prefer accuracy - like listening to a great stereo system. So I'll pass on full spectrum.

I love a bargain as much as anyone.  BUT,  I would be leery of buying used camera on E-Bay.  Anything goes wrong and the repair would totally be on you.Have you seen a7 with 28-70 lens at Amazon for $998?  Granted that it's first generation  and they are at MKIII now but it's still a mirrorless full frame.  I am not sure how good the kit lens is but it's $200.  Body only is $798.

I buy from people with a great selling record - plus you can buy for a low cost, repair guarantee insurance for one or two years covering everything when you buy on e-bay. I haven't had any problems buying on ebay - one seller (new) even sent another free pair of (inexpensive) headphones when one's casing fell apart.

SET Man

« Reply #16 on: 8 Aug 2019, 10:24 pm »
Long time photographer. I have a Lumix DMC-FZ200. Light, super zoom/wide range lens. I love it. However, I want higher quality images. I compared my Lumix with a Nikon D3300 and the 18-55VR lens. (Sold it.) The Nikon image was slightly better but not good enough to make it my camera.
I was looking at the Fuji XT20 with their 18-55 lens but my photography friend just loves the Sony a7. ( I would get one with their 28-70 lens. He's a big Pentax lens fan.)

I'd love to keep this well under $1K - I'm on a limited budget.

Any thoughts? Other suggestions?

Hey!

I remembered your Lumix. It is a big change from compact sensor to full frame one. The question is are you ready to carry a bigger camera around? Even the full frame mirrorless camera that supposed to be smaller than DSLR are still pretty big, especially with lens compare to P&S camera like your Lumix.

Just to be clear... I am a Sony user, an A7II. I bought it used in 2015 about a year after it first released. That saved me a few hundreds there. I'm using it with Sony lens adapter so I can use my Sony A-mount zooms and also old Minolta AF lenses and also other adapters for my Leica M lenses and Minolta manual focus MC/MD lenses on it.

If you really want to go full frame maybe look for a used A7II? The older A7 doesn't have in body sensor based stabilizer. This is a very useful feature for me. But a used A7II  with 28-70mm kit zoom might still a bit more than $1K. The kit zoom lens is decent but you'll be surprised to see the result with better lens, zooms or primes on it.

Anyway, shopping for new camera can be as frustrated as shopping for new audio stuffs. Best way is to go to your local camera store and play with them and see what feel right for you. Good luck and keep us updated.

Buddy

PS

The new Sony A7III is quite a camera for $2K I must say. Better sensor, faster auto focus and the "Eye AF" is very impressive. But I think I will hold on to my A7II for a little longer though and keep an eye open for a used A7III a year or two down the road.

charmerci

« Reply #17 on: 9 Aug 2019, 05:57 pm »
Thanks for all the comments. Looks like I will be going to a used a7. I'm not in much of a rush to spend that kind of money so it might be a while - or not. Who knows?  8)

Buddy - if you want to sell yours, maybe I could just drop by NYC this winter!

SET Man

« Reply #18 on: 10 Aug 2019, 01:21 am »
Thanks for all the comments. Looks like I will be going to a used a7. I'm not in much of a rush to spend that kind of money so it might be a while - or not. Who knows?  8)

Buddy - if you want to sell yours, maybe I could just drop by NYC this winter!

Hey!

Actually, I already have plan what to do with my A7II when I get a new camera. I'll give it to my younger brother. But he might have to wait for another year or 2 :D

If you're not in a rush to get a new camera now, then just wait. Digital cameras come and go. I'm not one of those who need to have the latest with higher megapixels camera. Sure I wish I could just drop $3500 for the new Sony 61MP 7R IV, but I have rent to pay. And my A7II with 24MP is just fine, I think 24MP is a sweet spot for now.

By the way, just a thought... if you're not going to build a system or want to stick with smaller camera like your Lumix right now, maybe check out the Sony RX10 II, not the latest one but with 1" sensor and great zoom range and can do 4K video if you're into that, at $1K new or less used.

Buddy

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer